Bitwig 5.2 BETA available

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

doesn't offer me the beta as suggested with the subscription that ran out on the 21th, popup shows the update is there via early access, but only with option "renew plan" "version info" "skip".

mailed bitwig, let's see.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mrfrenkie wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:12 pm Image

Ten years later. Even with special editing update..
It is sort of surprising, maybe they’ll add it mid-beta

If you caught a reproducible bug and put it in a jar, please show it to the devs support thing and not me since i have issues with bugs myself, thank you :o ;) hehe :cool:
Ps, still happy and the tears are real! :party: :phones:
Last edited by SmajjL on Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I know that requesting is useless but, now that we have undo for plugins, could we have real time export of the same parameters for feedback to external control devices and a snapshot feature? Is still live performance the main focus? This is what is hardly missing for live.
Last edited by monolithx on Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SmajjL wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:54 pm I don't believe it, i throw in for example Painter Man that i know for sure is a pain in the X (drifting) and it lign up well - haveto tripple check and re-rip my CDs - can't believe it! haha
Not sure I'm getting you right - would that mean the new tempo mapping would work even for audio which was not recorded to a click/grid??? That would be a really big one ...

kvrsw2424 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:18 pm
SmajjL wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:54 pm I don't believe it, i throw in for example Painter Man that i know for sure is a pain in the X (drifting) and it lign up well - haveto tripple check and re-rip my CDs - can't believe it! haha
Not sure I'm getting you right - would that mean the new tempo mapping would work even for audio which was not recorded to a click/grid??? That would be a really big one ...
Yeah - thats why i posted above that the tears are real hehe - feel free to help me confirm it is real (with your own drifting songs) so people wake up ;)
I used Boney M - Painterman as an example and it you drag it in and then go Edit and Tick the Stretch button, you can see if Bitwig has added markers good or bad ;)

Now this I agree with 10000%.

Bitwig needs to wake up and realize that every single other DAW on the planet is ahead of them in this department, and it's embarrassing. Automation envelope editing needs a serious update and if they can't realize this.....they are truly out of touch.

foosnark wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:43 pm
pdxindy wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:52 pm What does a Shift Register do?
It's kind of like a series of sample & holds. Each time it's triggered, data gets passed from one register to the next (and the input is captured on the first register). It's kind of like a BBD but for control signals (or even binary on/off states) rather than audio. (You often can clock them at audio rates, but there are very few stages so the delay time is extremely short...)

So for instance, a multi-tap note delay, echoing the first note with a different synth voice.

They're often used for psuedo-random loops or noise generators, by feeding back the last stage (or some combination of stages) back into the first stage. LFSRs (the noise generators in old video games), runglers, Turing Machine, the "Deja Vu" feature of Marbles, etc. all use that method.
Thanks for the explanation...

PhilipVasta wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:10 pm

It is sort of surprising, maybe they’ll add it mid-beta
Honestly I never thought we were going to get nudge commands in the arranger or plugin undo so this update gives me faith this is coming... someday.

Greenstorm33 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:03 pm
kurt008 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:45 pm Crashes my Debian Trixie immediately when started. I suspect the graphics.

Conclusion: Currently switched back to 5.1.8, on the long run most likely : "Good bye" Bitwig Studio, because I'm no longer patient to such a nonsense!

There are other DAW's around!
<newscaster voice> Learning an entirely new DAW because an optional prerelease version of your existing one caused a problem. Is this the ultimate power move?
  • This is hardly a Beta problem, but much more likely caused by a graphics issue and I seriously doubt this will really be "fixed" (at least not completely).
  • This is by far not the first time, that my nerves got streched to the limit over the years.
My trust in this company was hit several times and only two reasons made me stick to Bitwig so far: My accumulated license fee plus upgrade plans costs (>1000€) and the complexity of porting all the presets I made, the solutions I worked out over the years to another DAW and most likely to a modular soft solution like VCV pro.

There has already been a sickness with the flatpak-version of Bitwig before.
I don't use, neither need flatpak and my interest in this "technology" (flatpak) is well below zero. It causes me a lot of useless additional work, especially when I want to make my VST plugins usable for different DAW's and I refuse to generate security wholes for that purpose.

How about the "Spectral Suite"? Accident after accident - and did they learn anything...? Even if it wouldn't have crashed: How many new teething problems were introduced for gaining almost nothing? A compressor, which looks like the compressor of another "famous" DAW and functions, which easily can be realized using Dynamics and other standard devices - wow - what a great update! The EQ's... not much different. Really interesting new ways were not gone in this 'update' - not even one.
And on the other side: Instead of at least (as a useful replacement of a new bag of bugs) overworking the given devices, removing glitches and cumbersome properties (which almost every Bitwig Studio user will know some of) they introduce "new" devices without a real gain in conjunction with a whole collection of new teething problems, which the most prominent one made it crash together with my machine - very nice... and so trust worthy

Even if I wouldn't use this machine for other kinds of work: I'm not willing to risk a fumbling in the OS to make such nonsense work somehow.
I even would understand compatibility issues when on an old system. And... especially I would understand such problems if this DAW was made for video processing as well (what BTW makes Reaper - but interestingly Reaper still runs smoothly). But only to make colorful graphics more "fancy" to get more customers (attracted by fancy UI, of course) is a NO GO for my person - sorry.

To be continued after the release of Beta 2...

KVRs gonna KVR
Last edited by BazJacuzzi on Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The goal was to offload CPU processing of the GUI to the GPU to lessen overall CPU use, not making the graphics more flashy

The ignorance is strong with this one. A textbook example of the Dunning–Kruger effect.

kurt008 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:00 pm But only to make colorful graphics more "fancy" to get more customers (attracted by fancy UI, of course) is a NO GO for my person - sorry.[/u][/b]
It's not for fancy graphics. It's so the GUI is drawn using the GPU so that the UI doesn't slow way down when the cpu is under heavy load.

This is one of the most practical features that they have ever added. It benefits everyone.

One of the last items mentioned in the changelog

"Don't restore the last manual parameter value after clip launcher automation terminates"

That's a nice improvement if it works as I expect.

Return to “Bitwig”