Softube VCA Compressor for free (limited time)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yes, I am using it on a vocal track in Samplitude (which like Reaper doesn't have mono-tracks) as we speak, and I can confirm that here it doesn't affect the position in the stereo-field in any way.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

I think I found the reason. The track the anomaly happened had a sidechain input on channels 3-4. The plugin was in VST3.
It has a single channel output and for some reason only one output pin is active by default.
I can get a similar behavior from other mono VST3 plugins if I disable a second pin.
Maybe a REAPER bug or quirk?

sidechaining is hardly just a Reaper thing
MacMini M2 Pro . 32GB . 2TB . . Bitwig Studio 5.2……Renoise……Reason 12……Live 12 Push 2

meloco_go wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:10 pm I think I found the reason. The track the anomaly happened had a sidechain input on channels 3-4. The plugin was in VST3.
It has a single channel output and for some reason only one output pin is active by default.
I can get a similar behavior from other mono VST3 plugins if I disable a second pin.
Maybe a REAPER bug or quirk?
Softube plugins especially are very weird and buggy when it comes to the sidechain. Reaper doesn't properly instantiate the sidechain on Softube plugins, or at least I haven't got it working and always need to mess about with the manual pin settings.
sQeetz wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:26 pm sidechaining is hardly just a Reaper thing
He's talking about Reapers flexible sidechain pin system. For some weird reason all Softube plugins get it wrong and makes Reaper put only a single pin which then results in just one side of the stereo signal being triggered. It's most definitely a Softube issue as pretty much all other plugins work as possible.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:50 am [

He's talking about Reapers flexible sidechain pin system. For some weird reason all Softube plugins get it wrong and makes Reaper put only a single pin which then results in just one side of the stereo signal being triggered. It's most definitely a Softube issue as pretty much all other plugins work as possible.
Ok.. weird.. why, though?
If it works everywhere else, how isn't it a Reaper issue?
MacMini M2 Pro . 32GB . 2TB . . Bitwig Studio 5.2……Renoise……Reason 12……Live 12 Push 2

sQeetz wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:02 am
bmanic wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:50 am [

Ok.. weird.. why, though?
If it works everywhere else, how isn't it a Reaper issue?
As I said, Softube is pretty much the only company that seems to have these issues. So the question is: Why doesn't any other plugins have these issues? It could be they don't completely stick to the VST3 routing/output/input pin rules.. or have some old legacy VST2 code in there that messes with it.

Or it's of course possible that Reaper is the one bugging but I doubt it. It wouldn't be the first time the coders of Reaper need to make some weird workarounds to get buggy plugins to work.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Did anyones license get screwed up after the update that came out in the last few days?? Decided to check Softube Central after updating Sonoma yesterday, all my plugins had an update waiting. The updated VCA Compressor showed up as a second instance in the plugin list, now the icon for it has a FREE graphic on it. This one, is the same/updated version as my other plugins, but I've still got the original VCA Compressor down at the bottom of the list on the last version. The kicker is, its telling me I have no activation for the new update, since it appears its now a separate plugin?? I still have the activation for the previous one on my iLok and in Softube Central all good.

mothra wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:20 pm Did anyones license get screwed up after the update that came out in the last few days?? Decided to check Softube Central after updating Sonoma yesterday, all my plugins had an update waiting. The updated VCA Compressor showed up as a second instance in the plugin list, now the icon for it has a FREE graphic on it. This one, is the same/updated version as my other plugins, but I've still got the original VCA Compressor down at the bottom of the list on the last version. The kicker is, its telling me I have no activation for the new update, since it appears its now a separate plugin?? I still have the activation for the previous one on my iLok and in Softube Central all good.
This happened to me, but I just opened the iLok software to check my license, then closed and restarted Softube Central and it showed up properly.

meloco_go wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:52 pm Dunno if it's a bug on my system or not, but the plugin causes a stereo image shift even on mono sources. I was loosing my mind over the reason why the snare was panned slightly to the right, and it turned out to be this plugin. I use REAPER and here there are no mono or stereo tracks per se, so I wonder maybe this is an intended behavior on stereo tracks.
Or maybe that's a bug. But beware.
Make sure that your track doesn't have an extra channel. It happened to me several times, recently on a vocal track and now I know where to look at. I think it's caused by some plugins which add extra track channel in Reaper.
Last edited by sguyader on Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

So why iLok for a free plugin? UAD answered this on another forum about a 'free' plugin:// Pace protects our IP and keeps users from "sharing" LUNA Extensions and Instruments.//==Drew Mazurek UAD. Is free really free?

osiris wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:40 pm So why iLok for a free plugin? UAD answered this on another forum about a 'free' plugin:// Pace protects our IP and keeps users from "sharing" LUNA Extensions and Instruments.//==Drew Mazurek UAD. Is free really free?
It is free today for its intoduction, but it might not stay free after this grace period.

After I posted this , I remember that has happened before. Free for a limited time, then it will be a $$ amount. I searched for why on Google and apparently Slate has done this.

Not had a good play but sounds pretty decent so far.
Usually I'm a UAD compressor snob but it was free and I like softube synths so I figured why not. I wouldn't have bought it simply because I don't need it. We'll see how it fairs in projects

I love softube plugins, but sometimes they are too heavy on cpu!

osiris wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:05 pm apparently Slate has done this.
I think it was Slate's 'Fresh Air' a freebee that can only work if got a constant internet connection.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual.
~A.Rand

Return to “Effects”