What Turns You On More: Producing Or Performing Live To An Audience?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I think Producing is more rewarding.

The idea of producing a hit would feel spectacular. I like too with producing (if it is your own work), you are more or less the pilot and in total control.

That said it depends though. If performing your own production, that would be the ultimate experience.

I think performing can be more rewarding initially especially if you are extroverted.

I think Producing might appeal more to the Introverts.

Scrubbing Monkeys wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:43 pm I have some great memories playing live but lately I have found performing a bit dissatisfying mainly due to the fact that even on good production stages the onstage sound is terrible. It really has become a chore to get through the gig. The energy is cool but I would really like to enjoy the sound on stage.
The biggest things with live playing is all of the extra miscellaneous probably unnoticed background stuff.

There is Traveling (including rehearsals), hauling of heavy equipment, setup, set downs, parking, payment, difficult band mates, difficult venue owners (on rare occasions), dressing up etc. The music itself is usually the easier stuff to deal with.

Producing has probably some of the same issues especially if you get some success especially with Business and Politics. I'm guessing the Business and Politics of Producing could be potentially worse as in a band, you are pretty much certain to get paid (although you might not like what you are getting paid). Producing probably becomes more of a chore legally.

Regarding onstage sound, that can be a bummer too as it is probably impossible to have a perfect onstage sound monitoring system. Things are either way too loud and out of balance or you can't hear yourself at all. It sounds very unlike the record usually onstage. The bigger usually is more worse. Some of the best shows I enjoy the most soundwise are small intimate gigs with minimal to no monitoring onstage.

What I find worse though is lack of organization (setting equipment up and then being told to move later to a more inconvenient spot, being moved to a different slot, being double booked, being placed off of the show altogether). The live arena can be a very chaotic place.

Live. I play my best with people around me who appreciate what I'm doing.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

jlgrimes11 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:48 pm I think performing can be more rewarding initially especially if you are extroverted.
Yeah, that's the crux of the matter. You'd have to pay me a lot of money to get me to fidget and make noise in front of people I don't know... :help:

Monsieur_FyP wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:31 pm
jlgrimes11 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:48 pm I think performing can be more rewarding initially especially if you are extroverted.
Yeah, that's the crux of the matter. You'd have to pay me a lot of money to get me to fidget and make noise in front of people I don't know... :help:
it's easy. get a dome tent, sit in that. :)

jlgrimes11 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:09 pm
Scrubbing Monkeys wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:43 pm I have some great memories playing live but lately I have found performing a bit dissatisfying mainly due to the fact that even on good production stages the onstage sound is terrible. It really has become a chore to get through the gig. The energy is cool but I would really like to enjoy the sound on stage.
The biggest things with live playing is all of the extra miscellaneous probably unnoticed background stuff.

There is Traveling (including rehearsals), hauling of heavy equipment, setup, set downs, parking, payment, difficult band mates, difficult venue owners (on rare occasions), dressing up etc. The music itself is usually the easier stuff to deal with.

Producing has probably some of the same issues especially if you get some success especially with Business and Politics. I'm guessing the Business and Politics of Producing could be potentially worse as in a band, you are pretty much certain to get paid (although you might not like what you are getting paid). Producing probably becomes more of a chore legally.

Regarding onstage sound, that can be a bummer too as it is probably impossible to have a perfect onstage sound monitoring system. Things are either way too loud and out of balance or you can't hear yourself at all. It sounds very unlike the record usually onstage. The bigger usually is more worse. Some of the best shows I enjoy the most soundwise are small intimate gigs with minimal to no monitoring onstage.

What I find worse though is lack of organization (setting equipment up and then being told to move later to a more inconvenient spot, being moved to a different slot, being double booked, being placed off of the show altogether). The live arena can be a very chaotic place.
I remember when I was doing sound monitoring for a company, I had to converse with sound engineers at Parklife Festival 2013 (Manchester) England, running around between tents trying to make sure that they were not exceeding the decibel limits. Some engineers were fine and complied with the instructions I gave them, whereas a few disgruntled others ignored my requests by increasing the volumes after I left. It was a long 12 hours on one's feet.

Here's a photo I took when up at the engineer's control center.

KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

WOW, that's a seriously impressive story you got there .
You walked around with a portable loudness meter measuring loudness , not only that..but on a real festival too .
I'm flabbergasted
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

While danger is very stimulating, I don't know how I'd feel about performing live were I able to.
By myself, I think I'm over it. The interaction with other players is the thing, which I do miss, but for me that era is long gone. The intensive listening and responding - day after day where I lived during I guess my most formative period - was, well, formative of what I do and am as a composer.

What I make with DAW and soft instruments etc has nothing to do with live shows, it couldn't be done if I were a millionaire; there are things that technically are not possible otherwise. Leaving alone the sound design aspect I would be counting up to 200 musicians onstage (not tutti or close to, + maybe everybody doubles or triples bringing the number down) in some cases if I had to score that aspect on paper (I use preset sections in many cases, writing hundreds of parts would be insane).
There is no direct comparison.

I'm an absolute introvert and so are a vast number of musicians who may look outgoing onstage; personally I was an energetic performer, either in a group or solo, and at least once was considered quite mad. It's a form of acting. :D

jancivil wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:02 am I'm an absolute introvert and so are a vast number of musicians who may look outgoing onstage; personally I was an energetic performer, either in a group or solo, and at least once was considered quite mad. It's a form of acting. :D
So you're definitely not an absolute introvert!

I think the answer to the OP's question has a lot to do with where you are in your life as well.

Back in the late 90's and around the turn of the 2000's I absolutely lived for our band. There was no high quite as comparable as you being on stage and the audience was absolutely eating out of your hand! The feeling you get when a song that you put your heart and soul into is loved by everyone! That was such a great feeling! I remember one time that we were playing and the cops came to shut us down. I hardly noticed them--I was so caught up in the performance--and only did after a big one menacingly approached me. We complied and ended the show, but what a feeling there was that night!

Fast forward 20+ years. My life has been spent with a marriage, raising kids, and working--often even on my days off. We call them "Honeydews". You know.... Like the melons. :D Honey, do this. Honey, do that. :D Needless to say, time and money have been short of this period of my life. I do what I can with the little time I have. I still have dreams, of completing some albums when I get enough songs (that I think are good enough) together to group as an album. But I think my days of performing on stage are over. I have problems with my hands, and I ache everywhere. My voice is not like it used to be. I feel tired all the time. To further this, with the exception of a few, most performers my age don't look good on stage. I know I wouldn't. I think stage performance is best for the young, talent, and good looking. No one wants to see a broken down bloated former image of oneself. I wouldn't have the energy to do the showmanship that I used to, and I know that showmanship is so essential to performances--unless you are into dream pop or shoegaze (which I am). :D

Nowadays, I am thinking very differently. I plan on buying Synthesizer V to supplement my vocals. When it hurts too much to play my guitar, I'll use Virtual guitar plugins--they've gotten quite good these days. What I want to do, is create a band name and image that gives no information about my age or who I am. I want to use music videos as my source of output. Maybe hire some young actors or not show people at all in my music videos. I'm more interested in how my songs make someone "feel" rather than to be seen on stage. I have zero interest in fame (although I must admit that I still crave the respect of musical peers). :D I don't care that people in general don't know who I am or what I look like, if they enjoy my output and I can build and communicate with those who enjoy my music. I think it is a rare individual that should still be on stage after the age of 50--Bowie was one. Times change. People change.
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Monsieur_FyP wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:31 pm
jancivil wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:02 am I'm an absolute introvert and so are a vast number of musicians who may look outgoing onstage; personally I was an energetic performer, either in a group or solo, and at least once was considered quite mad. It's a form of acting. :D
So you're definitely not an absolute introvert!
take two seconds and google the word.
Do you believe all actors are extraverts? :roll:

jancivil wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:48 pm I am what I am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzHmunZxJeM

LOL

jancivil wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:48 pm take two seconds and google the word.
Do you believe all actors are extraverts? :roll:
Tone it down… I know exactly what introverted means. Someone who is "absolutely introverted" (since that's the word you used) won't choose to act in front of a live audience… :roll:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”