How to equalize monitor headphones for a neutral sound?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Uncle E wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:55 pm On your master bus, create a send that outputs to your headphone output. Then when you mixdown, select only the master bus output.
Holy shit man!
How come I never thought about doing this! (I have an answer about me being said but I don't it lol, I prefers to think you are a genius).

Thanks a lot!

PS: Actually how to do that in Bitwig ? Could somebody walk me through the process ?

Jac459 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:14 am
Uncle E wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:55 pm On your master bus, create a send that outputs to your headphone output. Then when you mixdown, select only the master bus output.
Holy shit man!
How come I never thought about doing this! (I have an answer about me being said but I don't it lol, I prefers to think you are a genius).

Thanks a lot!

PS: Actually how to do that in Bitwig ? Could somebody walk me through the process ?
Can't get if your tone is sarcastic or trolling. Imma suppose the first option and reply.

To tell the truth, Uncle E had explained to me how to do a send on the master bus but after several attempts, yesterday, I did not succeed. Then chatgpt clarified a concept that I was missing (unless he tricked me) and that is that the non-real time mixdown does not go through the master bus sends. This was the concept that I was missing to understand uncleE’s speech.

Anyway, can you confirm that this concept is correct? I’ll try later. Thank you 🧩
A casa mia si diceva: "sbagli una volta perdi due denti." - Tony Soprano

MetalSir wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:11 am
Holy shit man!

Thanks a lot!

Can't get if your tone is sarcastic or trolling. Imma suppose the first option and reply.

To tell the truth, Uncle E had explained to me how to do a send on the master bus but after several attempts, yesterday, I did not succeed. Then chatgpt clarified a concept that I was missing (unless he tricked me) and that is that the non-real time mixdown does not go through the master bus sends. This was the concept that I was missing to understand uncleE’s speech.

Anyway, can you confirm that this concept is correct? I’ll try later. Thank you 🧩
No no, not sarcastic or trolling....

Sorry I didn't read the whole thread. But I am indeed using an EQ at the end of my master bus.
But each time I export, I have a doubt if I switch off or not the EQ. So using the send to make it automatically is really interesting me.
But I never used the sends this way (I was using them a lot in reason but not much with Bitiwig).

So my comment to Uncle E is genuine and my question is sincere.

(Plus I think making fun of beginners would be a dick move which I hope I am not he he)

Jac459 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:28 am
MetalSir wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:11 am
Holy shit man!

Thanks a lot!

No no, not sarcastic or trolling....

Sorry I didn't read the whole thread. But I am indeed using an EQ at the end of my master bus.
But each time I export, I have a doubt if I switch off or not the EQ. So using the send to make it automatically is really interesting me.
But I never used the sends this way (I was using them a lot in reason but not much with Bitiwig).

So my comment to Uncle E is genuine and my question is sincere.

(Plus I think making fun of beginners would be a dick move which I hope I am not he he)
To be honest I'm doubtful on the chatgpt solution. But I'm sure that here we'll find the solution.

Having a routing on the master bus that allow me to hear with the headphones eq and to mixdown without it (and without having to remember to turn the eq off) is the best solution.

MetalSir wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:34 am To be honest I'm doubtful on the chatgpt solution. But I'm sure that here we'll find the solution.

Having a routing on the master bus that allow me to hear with the headphones eq and to mixdown without it (and without having to remember to turn the eq off) is the best solution.
Yes

Ok maybe I will explain a bit more my issue with the "send" approach and maybe somebody can tell me what I got wrong.

Generally the way I use a send (and I guess most of people are) is that I place, say a reverb, in the send and then I increase the volume of my send channel on the initial channel I want to inject a bit of this same reverb.
This way I am sure all the instruments have the same type of reverb (if not the same amount).

That's my understanding of a typical usage.

But if I put my EQ on the channel and I put all channel at max... It creates a weird echo and feedback loop.
I don't get why.

Jac459 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:55 am Ok maybe I will explain a bit more my issue with the "send" approach and maybe somebody can tell me what I got wrong.

Generally the way I use a send (and I guess most of people are) is that I place, say a reverb, in the send and then I increase the volume of my send channel on the initial channel I want to inject a bit of this same reverb.
This way I am sure all the instruments have the same type of reverb (if not the same amount).

That's my understanding of a typical usage.

But if I put my EQ on the channel and I put all channel at max... It creates a weird echo and feedback loop.
I don't get why.
Same

MetalSir wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:40 pm Same
I actually figured it out finally.

You just have to unplug the send to the main.
then it creates a second main. You redirect this second main to your headphones.
And you keep the previous main for the mastering bus.
You feed the second main with the mastering bus and you had your EQ there.

Then you are good to go.

Does it make sense for you ? The trick is you don't use the send as send. But just as a second output.

Jac459 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:42 pm
MetalSir wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:40 pm Same
I actually figured it out finally.

You just have to unplug the send to the main.
then it creates a second main. You redirect this second main to your headphones.
And you keep the previous main for the mastering bus.
You feed the second main with the mastering bus and you had your EQ there.

Then you are good to go.

Does it make sense for you ? The trick is you don't use the send as send. But just as a second output.
Now in not in the office but I'll try ASAP.
I don't use external outboard, I'm plugged with my headphones on the MacBook jack out.

MetalSir wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:07 pm
Now in not in the office but I'll try ASAP.
I don't use external outboard, I'm plugged with my headphones on the MacBook jack out.
Yes but you have the equalised one for your headphones and the non-equalised for the mix down.

Thanks much for this. It never occurred to me to check my headphones frequency response. I don't like the flat/room sim headphone plugins but luckily I have some Sennheisers and found the Frequency response and it looks pretty good. Little bump at 100 hz but otherwise good.

It won’t work with the MacBook headphone output. Your interface needs to have a dedicated headphone output separate from the main outputs. Create a send that outputs directly to the headphones and place the EQ in that send’s insert. Very important that this send does not send signal back to the main buss, it needs to go out to the headphones and stop there.

Ok, I am no expert in routing but I will explain step by step what I did as it may be useful for others (and if you spot any mistake, please let me know).

1 - Create an FX track in your DAW ==> let's call it "listening track". In this track, make sure your signal is fully wet. I mean 0% original signal, 100% signal after the FX devices you will put (our corrective EQ). I am not sure on how to do that on every DAW but in Bitwig, you need to keep all the tracks volumes to 0 (in the FX track interface) and set the FX track volume to 100% (cf screenshot).
2 - Go to your mixer, the master track and make sure than the "listening track" is NOT an input for the master track. Generally, your DAW will automatically route new FX tracks to your master track so you need to explicitly disconnect it.
3 - On the same master track, route the output of your master track into the "listening track".
4 - On the "listening track" set the input of the track as the output of the master track.
5 - Set your "listening track" as your output bus (for me, it is "headphones bus").
6 - On your master track, you can continue to put your normal mastering bus (all your compressors, limiters, EQ and stuffs.
7 - On your "listening track", put your "headset correcting EQ" (I use morphit and love it, it was the only EQ having my focal Elegia as existing setting).
8 - In your export function, make sure you are exporting the master bus and not the listening bus. (In Bitwig, it is exporting the mastering by default).

You are all set.

If you want to make sure it works, set a very extreme EQ on your listening bus and try an export to make sure the export is not impacted.

At leat on my side I can testify it 100% works in Bitwig and you don't need an audio interface. It work directly with a laptop.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Uncle E wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:06 am It won’t work with the MacBook headphone output. Your interface needs to have a dedicated headphone output separate from the main outputs. Create a send that outputs directly to the headphones and place the EQ in that send’s insert. Very important that this send does not send signal back to the main buss, it needs to go out to the headphones and stop there.
At least in Bitwig it is possible :-).

This is probably a silly question, but: why all these complications, rather than using eqmac?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”