The new Microkorg.

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If one were to play a normal 4 note chord and allow for a very long release, the second 4 note chord still has enough room to play without problem. I don't see much of a problem unless it's multitimbral.
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

egbert101 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:30 pm Some more insane release ideas from Korg:

1) Korg M1 Neo.
2) Korg Wavestation Neo.
3) Korg 01/W Neo.
I'd rather go for

4) Korg Z1 Neo (or Z1 Native)

Looks like the new Microkorg has a much better interface than either of the Wavestate/Opsix/Modwave group has. Too bad they couldn't have added that color screen to the SE versions.

I really thought Korg learned the lessons with minikeys on Minilogue and went full size on everything after that.
- they did for Wavestate, Modwave and Opsix

Now a new minikeys synth, still only 3 octaves?
- size of chord fingerings and reach is in the backbone
- you have to watch keys all the time with minisize

And too little hands on knobs/sliders IMO.
- color touch screen with 5 knobs for 5 parameters at a time
- not a disaster but certainly not funfactor close to Wavestate, Modwave and Opsix

Well, some interesting stuff. The variable filter looks amazing. The loop recorder is potentially interesting if it can record audio as well as the synth engine. Shame it has no real granular option. I think it's probably the same sound engine as the wavestate/modwave going by the effects it uses. But seems a bit more limited in terms of samples.
<list your stupid gear here>

egbert101 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:46 pm Well, some interesting stuff. The variable filter looks amazing. The loop recorder is potentially interesting if it can record audio as well as the synth engine. Shame it has no real granular option. I think it's probably the same sound engine as the wavestate/modwave going by the effects it uses. But seems a bit more limited in terms of samples.
No, actually it looks a lot more interesting than a Modwave because of the ease of use. I would like to see how deep into FM synthesis this gets while the Opsix may be deep, but I would get really tired of that screen and just want to use the VST.
Again, if you are going to pay more for hardware, you want the experience that is enjoyable and this new Microkorg fixed the problems with the first Microkorg.

lfm wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:55 pmNow a new minikeys synth, still only 3 octaves?
- size of chord fingerings and reach is in the backbone
- you have to watch keys all the time with minisize
No, you don't. You just have to practise. I'd much rather play mini-keys than full-size keys because that's all I've rehearsed on for the last 7 or 8 years. The keys on Mini/Monologue are particularly good because they are nice and long. I don't have to look down unless I've had my hand off the keyboard and I need to locate the first key to play, just like a full-size keys.

I like mini keys mostly because I can stretch my hand out to play an octave up/down without having to use both hands. I absolutely cannot do that on a full-size keyboard. And three octaves is also just about perfect, too, because it keeps the device size far more manageable. With well located octave up/down buttons, which most manufacturers seem to manage well, it's easy.
And too little hands on knobs/sliders IMO.
- color touch screen with 5 knobs for 5 parameters at a time
How many parameters can you adjust at one time? 5 would seem overly generous to me.
not a disaster but certainly not funfactor close to Wavestate, Modwave and Opsix
I'd take one of these over those others every time because it has what will work best for me, both in the studio and on stage. We all have different needs and this could make a great replacement for my KeyStep. I a really impressed with this thing.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I hope the OG Microkorgs will go down in price now, they sound great.
"The Law speaks too softly to be heard amid the din of arms." -- Gaius Marius {Roman consul,soldier}

Moe Shinola wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:40 am I hope the OG Microkorgs will go down in price now, they sound great.
They have gone down in price if you don't mind using the vst ;)
+ You get 64 voices of polyphony instead of 4 on the HW.

Usually goes on sale for $99

100% buying it at release day.

This Hydrasynth style interface where you switch modules with dedicated buttons for each page is much better than menu diving in tree-structure or having per-parameter controls with billion hidden shift functions underneath. I think this design philosophy will get more and more popular in the future.

The only thing I hate is that gigantic genre selection knob. It takes like 30% of available space. Imagine if we had advanced step sequencer there instead. Or anything useful.

Plus - I hate dividing patches by genre. Sounds does not belong to specific genre. And why would they put dubstep there ? Isn't dubstep dead since like 2012 ?

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”