Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S61 MK2 or OTHER?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

zerocrossing wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:15 am What do you mean? I’m still rocking a Maschine Mk1, no issues. I’m on a Windows 10.
https://support.native-instruments.com/ ... s-on-macOS

“ Devices labeled MK2 (or MK3) are later-generation models that run on class-compliant driver technology. The earlier MK1 versions are therefore not officially supported on macOS 10.12 (or higher).”

In fairness, there’s a workaround to make them work with 10.13 and 10.14, but they won’t with any Mac OS that’s come out since 2019.

zerocrossing wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:32 am
Bombadil wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:33 pm Hi,
I need a new midi controller. My Novation 61 SL mK II is about done. I'm looking at the mKII Komplete Kontrol as a replacement, to use with Logic.
Are there any reasons to avoid? There's a mK III, but it is significantly more expensive.
I like a Fatar keybed with aftertouch. This seemed the best alternative, at least price-wise.

Thankee kindly. :tu:
I’m about to buy either the Kontrol 61 mk III or maybe the Behringer UB-XA, depending on how good the UB feels. I’m using a Hydrasynth Deluxe now, but it’s too big and frankly I don’t need another VA/Wavetable synth. I wouldn’t mind a bit of Oberheim goodness in my world.

I’d say go for the 3 because the polyphonic aftertouch is such a difference. It’ll work great with Komplete, especially when they add polyphonic aftertouch to their collection.
The money is not there for that, unfortunately. As I am on 10.12, and have no desire to move up at any point (due to issues with updating firmware/software on my RME FF) whatever works now should work for a few more years.

And, at my age, long-term investments are starting to verge on silly.
I appreciate everyone's input. It will be here tomorrow, I'll have a look and decide, but I can't stray very far from 500€, and there aren't a lot of options for what I want. The only Studiologic keys at Thomann is a 70+ key machine that won't fit on my stand.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Bombadil wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:01 am As I am on 10.12, and have no desire to move up at any point
That’s important. Yes, just go for it. It’s a great keyboard, I’m just bitter from getting burned twice by them. ;)

I don't want to get burned once by them, so I am paying attention to what you're telling me. I am thinking of sending it back and just continue on without using the joystick in the Novation, which is officially f**ked, now. But that is limiting with instruments and patches optimized for movement via the mod wheel.
But I doubt I'll ever be able to talk my Missus into an 800€ keyboard.
Is Kontakt integrated into the mK II series? I have 6, full version.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Honestly, the more you can keep NI out of your life, generally the better. Especially with hardware.

Have you thought about just looking for another used Novation? Not a fun or "sexy" choice but could save you some money too.

Bombadil wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:49 am continue on without using the joystick in the Novation, which is officially f**ked, now.
Have you opened it up? My Novation's joystick wasn't working when I got it and it was an easy fix.

Bombadil wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:16 am The joystick on it is fluttering, I can see it in Logic's 'midi in' making everything sound awful. It was taken apart to fix a dead note in 2016, but putting it back together resulted in the joystick issue. That, and a cat that likes to walk on the keyboard to get me to move off my computer chair. :oops:
It was very fiddly, iirc, and I can't be arsed to open it up again. Or, I should say, my Missus can't. She's the one who took it apart the first time.
I failed model airplanes as a kid.
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Yeah, that can happen. If I'm remembering correctly, there's a metal piece that you need to put tension on when you put it back together. I had to take mine apart twice because of things not quite lining up the first time.

parma wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:30 am Honestly, the more you can keep NI out of your life, generally the better. Especially with hardware.

Have you thought about just looking for another used Novation? Not a fun or "sexy" choice but could save you some money too.
Thanks, but I hate the joystick.
-Martin Luther King Jr.

The new Novations do not have a joystick. If you don't want to go for the SL due to the price, the Launchkeys might be a good alternative. I had one (had to sell it as I was moving overseas), and it's nicely working together with Logic (I think that's what you're using?), and naturally, Ableton Live. Build quality is not as good as the Kontrol MK3, but these are much cheaper, and offer a lot of functionality (transport controls, nice pads, sliders etc.). The keybed is o.k., but nowhere as good as the Fatar in the Kontrol MK3, which is really amazing - the whole build quality of the MK3 is outstanding; it's a shame that the software still feels limited and beta right now. Anyway, good luck with your new toys!

Uncle E wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:36 am
zerocrossing wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:15 am What do you mean? I’m still rocking a Maschine Mk1, no issues. I’m on a Windows 10.
https://support.native-instruments.com/ ... s-on-macOS

“ Devices labeled MK2 (or MK3) are later-generation models that run on class-compliant driver technology. The earlier MK1 versions are therefore not officially supported on macOS 10.12 (or higher).”

In fairness, there’s a workaround to make them work with 10.13 and 10.14, but they won’t with any Mac OS that’s come out since 2019.
Oh, I thought buying a Macintosh meant you were OK with with things becoming incompatible. :hihi:

Seriously, I learned my lesson during the move away from Motorola processors. I love their stuff for general use, but to get something done? Windows.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

It's here. Slightly bigger than my Novation. Worked as a midi controller right out of the box. The keys feel really nice to me.

Downloading.......
Downloading.......
-Martin Luther King Jr.

zerocrossing wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:21 pm Oh, I thought buying a Macintosh meant you were OK with with things becoming incompatible. :hihi:
LOL! Nailed it.

Tons to download @ 1.7 mb/sec. :roll:
Had to upgrade to Kontakt 7. :cry:
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Bombadil wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:41 pm Tons to download @ 1.7 mb/sec. :roll:
Had to upgrade to Kontakt 7. :cry:
I guess I'm fighting your download. :hihi: I accidently started installing Stradivari Cello and it's 25 gig! That had better be some good cello!
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”