Best synth under 3000 euros (new or vintage)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

cryophonik wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:09 am No favorite videos, really, but it comes down to a lot more than just the sound. I watched a lot of videos over the years, but none of them prepared me for the experience of having it right in front of me. It’s the entire package, the sheer amount of features, the interface and that matrix, those vintage sounding effects, the arp, etc, and basically no menu diving. Arturia really thought it through and made a fantastic instrument. I have to admit that, even after hearing a lot of demos on YT, I still expected it to sound much like a monophonic PolyBrute, but having them side by side, they sound very different.

Also, I should clarify that I have an SE-1X Nova Edition that has been upgraded to the 3X eprom. The 3X took the features/improvements of the Nova Edition and added the additional filters and an additional stage to the fuzz switch (neither of which can be saved per patch fwiw). So, my Nova edition is more limited than the 3X, but the firmware functions the same. It’s definitely a workflow improvement in many ways, but there’s still more menu-diving than I’d prefer. But the sound is just :love: :phones: :love:
Thanks. YT definitely can't deliver on what it's like to create sounds using a synth, but it does seem to capture the sonic character rather well (just not the full palette a synth can make). The Matrix is decidedly better sounding than the Poly to me, but it doesn't give me chills. I'll keep listening, though. That said, unless they made a desktop unit, I'd never be able to get one even if I wanted one.

vitocorleone123 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:56 pm Agreed that since the OP seems to be another of those "must boost post count so I can sell stuff" (just guessing no actual data)
That data showing how wrong your guess was, is just one click away:
OP user profile wrote:Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2020 01:52
Last active: Fri Nov 24, 2023 09:14
Total posts: 29
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:43 am
vitocorleone123 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:56 pm Agreed that since the OP seems to be another of those "must boost post count so I can sell stuff" (just guessing no actual data)
That data showing how wrong your guess was, is just one click away:
OP user profile wrote:Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2020 01:52
Last active: Fri Nov 24, 2023 09:14
Total posts: 29
Thanks!

If only I cared as much as you.

The Waldorf Iridium. Easily the best hardware synth I have ever owned. Three oscillator engines, each with five different synthesis models to choose from, 16-voice poly (and poly aftertouch) and high-quality effects that are out of this world. I sold my desktop unit only to get the keyboard version.

Not to shamelessly self-promote, but I did a soundbank for the Iridium created on my desktop synth and it's certainly not the last set of presets I create for this.

https://waldorfmusic.com/iridium-keyboard-en/

https://youtu.be/Ek9j0q4zn7o?si=f5U6lVknNstXBQTE
Luftrum
Sound Designer
Lunaris 2 - the premier pads instrument for NI Kontakt Player - pads and pads only...

If I was going for iridium, and space wasn't an issue I personally would grab the Quantum Mk2, for the 5 octave nice Poly AT keybed, more knobs, analog filters, better screen and larger sample storage space.
But I'm waiting to see if a MK3 comes out with 16 stereo analog filters....

Luftrum wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:22 pm The Waldorf Iridium. Easily the best hardware synth I have ever owned.
Probably correct right at this moment. I think there is a gap in the market for a sub 1K hardware synth that does all the basic forms of synthesis. Modwave comes close but fails at FM and Granular. I wish Opsix and Modwave were combined, maybe it will happen, probably not.
<list your stupid gear here>

Luftrum wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:22 pm The Waldorf Iridium. Easily the best hardware synth I have ever owned. Three oscillator engines, each with five different synthesis models to choose from, 16-voice poly (and poly aftertouch) and high-quality effects that are out of this world. I sold my desktop unit only to get the keyboard version.
Does it do things that Quantum can't do? Does it have Quantum's compressor?

Uncle E wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:30 pm Does it do things that Quantum can't do? Does it have Quantum's compressor?
I don't think so. The Quantum is truly impressive! Presets are interchangeable with those of the Iridium, so they are very similar. The Quantum has analog filters, whereas the Iridium is all digital, but the polyphony on the Quantum is only 8 voices with analog filters - unless you go digital then it's 16 voices too. And the keybed on the Quantum MK2 is 61 vs 49 on the Iridium.

However, the price for a Quantum MK2 exceeds the €3000 limit mentioned by the original poster, Quantum MK2 is priced around €5000, as far as I am aware. :)
Luftrum
Sound Designer
Lunaris 2 - the premier pads instrument for NI Kontakt Player - pads and pads only...

6 Behringer Pro 800 and a midi keyboard :hihi:

I've saved and had a poly fund just waiting for about 2+ yrs...

I haven't found one that is 'perfect'. I think Novation Summit is probably the best all rounder, and it has great lead and bass sounds, as well as being a poly. I wish it had slightly more flexible and extensive wavetables, but the hand on controls are amazing and it sounds great and very modern.

The dreadbox nymphes also sounds incredible, but it's fairly limited, though for pads mainly, this things perfect.

Nautilus 88 with Aftertouch is now $2400.
That's a lot of bang-for-the-buck.
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

Would the Yamaha Montage M6 now make the list? I guess it's a bit above 3000 euros, but it just sounds nice, even though I hate the car dashboard interface.

https://youtu.be/jCN5zEJaESY

https://youtu.be/VlGLlBsrOVU
<list your stupid gear here>

AN-X sounds great when combined with the other synthesis methods. On its own, though, it's sub-par, IMO.

Got the Montage M8x

The M addresses many of my issues with the OG Montage.
The realtime controls (and secondary display) make programming quicker/easier and (once programmed) make realtime tweaking more like using a Nord. Not exactly "knob/button per function"... but a whole lot nicer than the OG Montage.

The AN-X engine is a bit bland (especially the Filters)... but sound/articulation wise, it's a HUGE improvement over using AWM2 samples for analog sounds. The 16-voices is OK... but seems a bit "stingy".

User-sample space has been doubled.

Each Part can now consist of up to 128 Elements.
With each Element having trigger conditions, that's extremely flexible/powerful.
It's the closest you'll find to having Kontakt in a hardware instrument.

Never had issues with polyphony with the OG Montage... but M's polyphony is extensive
AWM2 (Factory) = 128 voices
AWM2 (User) = 128 voices
FM-X = 128 voices
AN-X = 16 voices

Only downside (if you plan on gigging the 88) is the size/weight.
Weighs 62 pounds... and it's HUGE
Last edited by Jim Roseberry on Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”