Logic Pro 10.8 is out!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Small bug introduced- Gain tool no longer works within Take Folders. Back to using the Region Inspector or the third party GainControl

They did this silently but Logic can now record MIDI out from AU plugins

aMUSEd wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:27 pm They did this silently but Logic can now record MIDI out from AU plugins
Cool. What plugins can you do this with?
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro // Ableton // Reason // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

Spending a bit more time with this version, combined with Sonoma it's still a heap of junk. The 'an audiounit plugin has reported a problem' error comes up frequently enough (and apparently randomly) that working on complex projects is bordering on impossible, particularly given that if a plugin GUI is open when that error occurs it seems to trigger the autosave hanging problem. The only option then is to force-quit Logic. I remember someone saying that in terminal it's possible to change autosaving behaviour, I guess I should see what options there are there.
Every day takes figuring out all over again how to f#ckin’ live.

"audiounit plugin has reported a problem" is a plugin bug, not a Logic bug.

Bummer, they haven't fixed the bug with keystrokes not going to resized plugin windows.

roman.i wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:51 pm "audiounit plugin has reported a problem" is a plugin bug, not a Logic bug.
I doubt that that's the case, since it never happened prior to Ventura, and it's known that Ventura created issues to do with core management. I'm not a programmer so I have very limited understanding of this sort of thing, but the way the error occurs (randomly, sometimes 30 seconds after opening a project, and sometimes 40 minutes after opening a project and playing it through multiple times) suggests there's a deeper Mac OS issue.

chagzuki wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:03 pm
roman.i wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:51 pm "audiounit plugin has reported a problem" is a plugin bug, not a Logic bug.
I doubt that that's the case, since it never happened prior to Ventura, and it's known that Ventura created issues to do with core management. I'm not a programmer so I have very limited understanding of this sort of thing, but the way the error occurs (randomly, sometimes 30 seconds after opening a project, and sometimes 40 minutes after opening a project and playing it through multiple times) suggests there's a deeper Mac OS issue.
This being the internet, software developers are pretty thick on the ground, and almost any of us would tell you that the time it takes for a bug to reproduce is not sufficient to judge where it is happening - it could be a bug in the plugin that is triggered by certain combinations of situations, or in the host, or it could be something that takes varying amounts of time to accumulate to the point it causes an error.

Or, like you say, it could be an interaction with OS behavior that started in Ventura.

chagzuki wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:03 pm I doubt that that's the case, since it never happened prior to Ventura, and it's known that Ventura created issues to do with core management. I'm not a programmer so I have very limited understanding of this sort of thing, but the way the error occurs (randomly, sometimes 30 seconds after opening a project, and sometimes 40 minutes after opening a project and playing it through multiple times) suggests there's a deeper Mac OS issue.
Ventura is not fully backward compatible with the previous versions of MacOS. It's a major upgrade and may require code adaptation for Ventura from all plugin developers.
I don't think the bug you are experiencing suggests a deeper MacOS issue. Other plugins work as expected, right? Then it's a specific plugin bug.

roman.i wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:12 pm Ventura is not fully backward compatible with the previous versions of MacOS. It's a major upgrade and may require code adaptation for Ventura from all plugin developers.
I don't think the bug you are experiencing suggests a deeper MacOS issue. Other plugins work as expected, right? Then it's a specific plugin bug.
As stoopicus says, it's some sort of interaction, as a project can work fine for long periods. Then at any moment, e.g. while Logic is idle for a few minutes, no playback, the problem spontaneously occurs. It would be a massive step forward if there was a way for Logic to report the name of the plugin, but apparently it's a design choice not to, and audiounit are segregated in some way(?).

There's a thread in the kvr developer forum which may be relevant, concerning core management, though perhaps it's a different issue.

apoclypse wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:39 pm
aMUSEd wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:27 pm They did this silently but Logic can now record MIDI out from AU plugins
For example I just used Komplete Kontrol (without a plugin loaded) to capture the output of its ARP to create a baseline for ESM

btw it isn't just MIDI outputs, Logic AU's appear now to be able to respond to MIDI, it seems they have also got rid of MFX as they are no longer needed.
Last edited by aMUSEd on Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Improved stability of AUv3. Someone was having issues with plug-ins recently.

I think that the other topic - “Logic 11” should disappear, can’t see the point…
Clearly, Apple will NOT release ver 11 anytime soon.
We have just received ver 10.8.
Running 2 post topics that address the same thing is just silly

aMUSEd wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:07 pm
apoclypse wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:39 pm
For example I just used Komplete Kontrol (without a plugin loaded) to capture the output of its ARP to create a baseline for ESM

btw it isn't just MIDI outputs, Logic AU's appear now to be able to respond to MIDI, it seems they have also got rid of MFX as they are no longer needed.
Can you explain more?

aMUSEd wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:07 pm Logic AU's appear now to be able to respond to MIDI, it seems they have also got rid of MFX as they are no longer needed.
all the NI MFX versions are there like reaktor MFX, absynth MFX etc.. same as AU Midi controlled effects and midi plug ins/scripter etc..

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”