Reaper 7 released

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
REAPER

Don't know if it's new but very much appreciated: Reaper suggests replacing missing VST2 plugins with their existing VST3 versions.

I suffered from this after swiping lots of VST2 versions to save disk space. Old projects became unusable in other DAWs due to this 'user error'.

___
The new FX containers are quite nice, too.

? ? ? wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:38 am
TheMaestro wrote: Oh noes!!! How are we going to make music!!!
Haha. Amen. Separate the pros from the amateurs.
Using an archaic, unsightly piece of software doesn't make the one who uses it a Pro, it just means, their priorities are different from those who don't have time, or don't want to waste time getting from point A to B when there are environments that are far sleeker and more intuitive to get work done more quickly and efficiently. For me, these principles were just as true when deciding on what sound tracker I was going to use back in the early to mid-1990s to produce music with. That happened to be Octamed Sound Studio which had everything in an elegant design on an Amiga. As a kid in the 1980s, I was playing my Casio SK1 sampling keyboard almost every day. Creating music was never an object of making money from it, it's just in my blood to create it. Still, I appreciate using the best tools to take what is in my head for others to listen to.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

THE INTRANCER wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:33 am Using an archaic, unsightly piece of software doesn't make the one who uses it a Pro, it just means, their priorities are different from those who don't have time, or don't want to waste time getting from point A to B when there are environments that are far sleeker and more intuitive to get work done more quickly and efficiently.
I switched from Studio One to Reaper exactly because Reaper enabled me to do things far more quickly and efficiently.

THE INTRANCER wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:33 am Using an archaic, unsightly piece of software doesn't make the one who uses it a Pro,
A pro takes what they have and makes it happen. It may be difficult but complaining is super easy for a reason, it doesn't get anything done. Pros understand this.
it just means, their priorities are different from those who don't have time, or don't want to waste time getting from point A to B when there are environments that are far sleeker and more intuitive to get work done more quickly and efficiently.
It appears Studio One is the right app for you and Reaper is not. Fair enough. Yet here you are in a new release fior Reaper thread complaining. And you want to talk about not wanting to waste time?
Pretty amateurish to me but that's just one man's opinion.
I appreciate using the best tools to take what is in my head for others to listen to.
For me the "best" is Reaper. For you it's not. Have a nice day.
Ask not what your DAW can do for you, but what you can do with your DAW

I switched from my old DAW to Reaper precisely because it got me from point A to B far faster and more efficiently. And I wasn't able to go back to any other DAW because the amount of flexibility you get from Reaper's customizable action, modifiers, scripts and skins. I don't really understand the idea that Reaper is archaic in a thread about its latest advancements that add lots of usability features, with more to come as it's constantly updated with community interaction - that just seems unnecessarily dismissive to me.

Congratulations to the developers. What an awesome release! This is a great time to buy in to the ridiculously affordable license. :clap: :tu: :phones:

lol @the intrancer - you are such a downer on a new release. Let the developers hear some appreciation for their hard work!

GusGranite wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:17 am Let the developers hear some appreciation for their hard work!
I told my girlfriend "I have a headache" just so I can f**k with version 7. Ill be up all night.
Ask not what your DAW can do for you, but what you can do with your DAW

? ? ? wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:07 am
A pro takes what they have and makes it happen. It may be difficult but complaining is super easy for a reason, it doesn't get anything done. Pros understand this.
If people didn't complain loud enough which is evidently the case with Reaper, then the development of software would be far better than it is and everybody would be using it, 'Pro' or not.
It appears Studio One is the right app for you and Reaper is not. Fair enough. Yet here you are in a new release fior Reaper thread complaining. And you want to talk about not wanting to waste time?
Pretty amateurish to me but that's just one man's opinion.

For me the "best" is Reaper. For you it's not. Have a nice day.
The Reaper community sits there defending what is delivered, that's not helping anyone. I dunno, perhaps they are afraid of being isolated or shouted down there. Or perhaps they have come to accept that no matter what they say as in what they want, will never come to light that they give up trying. Some of the things I've highlighted are not just my opinion, they have been highlighted by people on YouTube and probably on forums as well. The vast majority of Reaper users are beginners (or amateurs) getting their feet wet, their first DAW effectively because it's cheap/practically free even, or because there isn't much available to Linux users as DAWs go.

I feel sorry for Reaper users, in they not having a DAW built on a modern framework. The development of Reaper seems more like a hobby project for the creator of it.
Last edited by THE INTRANCER on Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Retrospective MIDI recording is not new to reaper 7 if I'm not mistaken...

mabian wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:01 am Retrospective MIDI recording is not new to reaper 7 if I'm not mistaken...
Yep, introduced with v6.

A fairly comprehensive explanation of the new v7 features - https://dlz.reaper.fm/userguide/REAPER% ... ry_13a.pdf

THE INTRANCER wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:59 am I feel sorry for Reaper users, in they not having a DAW built on a modern framework. The development of Reaper seems more like a hobby project for the creator of it.
I feel a bit sorry for you, tbh - Reaper seems to be living rent-free inside your head. :P

THE INTRANCER wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:59 am
I feel sorry for Reaper users, in they not having a DAW built on a modern framework. The development of Reaper seems more like a hobby project for the creator of it.
gee so patronising lol. I, like many others, have used many many daws and other bits and pieces over the years - my first 'daw' for example was the Mountain Computer Music System for Apple 2 - back in the late 70s (I think)

Reaper is excellent, has many advantages over Bitwig and S1 for example - and they have their advantages over Reaper as well. But having used Pro Tools, Bitwig, S1, Live, Cubase and others over the last 40 years I much prefer Reaper.

you'd do well to recognise the wisdom in the old saw - 'In matters of taste there can be no disagreement'

I don't really understand the point of arguing what DAW is better here. Reaper is much more optimized, tweak-able and uses less resources. On the other hand Studio One has more included features, and is much more intuitive with many features helping song writing.

Use whatever is best for you. Just because one feature is missing doesn't mean the DAW is terrible. It just has different priorities.
One thing that I will say about Reaper, is that I do hope that they update the GUI in a way that all menus can be themeable or look better.

? ? ? wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:23 am
GusGranite wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:17 am Let the developers hear some appreciation for their hard work!
I told my girlfriend "I have a headache" just so I can f**k with version 7. Ill be up all night.
:lol:

"I have a headache"

"Ok, I'll leave you alone then"

hears pounding bass drum coming from the next room

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”