Upgrading my computer - Reasonable suggestions

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Synthman2000 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:13 amYou are an angry, sensitive, defensive poster BONES it's bizarre how you somehow think this is posted about you personally. I skim your posts, just to see if there is anything other than a load of negativity.
Or maybe I just don't want people getting shit advice? The elitism of it all disgusts me, if I'm honest. Any idiot with an average computer can make amazing music in 2023 if that's all they have to work with. Plugins that brought our computers to their knees a decade ago will run multiple instances on even an entry-level new PC today. That's just the way it goes. Progress.

We made our first album on a single core, single thread Athlon 800, which was cutting edge at the time. OTOH, the Core i5 computer I used for our new one, despite being the entry level model in the range, has 10 cores and 14 threads and runs at 3 or 4 times the clock speed. It's probably 100 times more powerful than the machine we used for that first album so the fact that there are other options that might offer 5 or even 10 times more performance again simply doesn't matter any more.

Now, you'll say that you regularly use most or all of that extra power but I'd suggest that's only because it's there. It's the same way everyone seems to spend all their money, no matter how much they are making. Your life sort of expands to use up all the available resources. That doesn't mean you need all that, it's just a reflection of its availability. You spent all that money and you're going to do whatever it takes to make sure it wasn't wasted. The fact you get so defensive suggests to me that, subconsciously, you probably know this.

The other variable, of course, is that the software tools have expanded to use more of that available computing power but at nowhere near the rate at which the power itself has increased.
Negoba wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:16 pmA relative has a 2020 desktop with an i7 10700 with 16 GB RAM and 1 TB of memory which will be a great starting point for me and a huge upgrade from what I have.
That set-up should see you right for a while. Nice catch!
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Sorry no time for your posts BONES however here is my music making PC main board from 2011 in use today. I am about to mix a 100 track project.

https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/pcs/mot ... -le-review

3/5 out of 5 stars :lol: in 2011

An old office PC I personally suped up as far as you can supe up a 2011 PC better suited to invoicing.

Largest session 164 tracks, 100 running live no freezing. I don't need a lesson on efficiency of workflow or on PC's in general from you. The very last lesson I need is one on laptop vs desktop.

The sessions I run would fry any laptop. My ancient desktop pc is the antithesis of elitist PC tech. When it comes to knowledge do you want the elite (for example when you go to have a brain scan or a cancer screening) or an amateur/quack/bullsh*tter ?

I'll go with the elite every single time. Being elite is the goal to aim for, even if you don't make it, not an enemy.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”