Is it ok to make lots of stuff?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

if the subject is on the table

-only thing that did
heh

why wouldn't it be okay to make lots of stuff?
you will have the law of percentages on your side?
that stuff that you made that you dismissed?
well, those might actually be gems, subjectively?
who knows?

it happens?
songs that other band members didn't think much of?
well, they might become"much" in the end?

for example these three songs by stevie nicks:
rhiannon, landslide, dreams
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

havran wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:07 pm
Michael L wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:29 am
havran wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:45 amMost of the Cosmos is already made, so it would really just be some sprinkles on top.
So don't overthink it.
Overthinking happens.
You're overthinking it

Hi all,

It appears to me that the original post is, despite the subject line, mostly asking about distributing lots of stuff rather than simply making lots of stuff. The second post by the OP is about feedback.

IMO most of us involved in making music make a lot of it. How much of that is distributed depends, as others have written, on the individual and what that individual is trying to accomplish. All that we can do is to post our own experience and thoughts so that others can determine what resonates.

As far as feedback: I say forget about it for the most part for the approach that the OP is taking so far, other than posting here, perhaps.

It has been estimated that there are 100,000 tracks released every day. Estimates of the total number of songs vary widely, partly due to the issue of "What constitutes a new or different song?" 100 billion is a very crude estimate of the total number. The chances of anyone hearing one's stuff is practically zero. The chances of feedback are a small percentage of that small chance.

In order for any sizable audience to hear one's stuff, one needs promotion, and a lot of it. Some folks posting here play live. Others may have agents, promoters, contracts, etc. Without promotion, the sample size of feedback is likely to be far too small to provide any real guidance unless one is lucky enough to receive a comment from a truly qualified listener that can be verified.

-------------------

I would encourage folks who have the time to not only make lots of stuff like many of us do, but also to make different versions of the same works. By different versions, I don't mean just a different type of master compressor or something trivial like that, but a completely different style, tempo, drum kit, instruments, modfied lyrics, and so on. I would like to provide an example of this, but don't want to be accused of self-promotion. The example not only shows a difference of style, etc. but a completely different attitude. I'm probably far from the only poster who has done this.

Feel free to post whatever you like the self promo thing is touchy but I think we are all on the same page here. I do make a wide variety of styles but I have never come back and redone a song in a different genre or instrumentation. It would be easy enough with midi stuff but I'm a very poor musician when it comes to doing stuff twice so lots of room to grow there. Lots of food for thought, thanks.
DaveClark wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 4:23 pm Hi all,

It appears to me that the original post is, despite the subject line, mostly asking about distributing lots of stuff rather than simply making lots of stuff. The second post by the OP is about feedback.

IMO most of us involved in making music make a lot of it. How much of that is distributed depends, as others have written, on the individual and what that individual is trying to accomplish. All that we can do is to post our own experience and thoughts so that others can determine what resonates.

As far as feedback: I say forget about it for the most part for the approach that the OP is taking so far, other than posting here, perhaps.

It has been estimated that there are 100,000 tracks released every day. Estimates of the total number of songs vary widely, partly due to the issue of "What constitutes a new or different song?" 100 billion is a very crude estimate of the total number. The chances of anyone hearing one's stuff is practically zero. The chances of feedback are a small percentage of that small chance.

In order for any sizable audience to hear one's stuff, one needs promotion, and a lot of it. Some folks posting here play live. Others may have agents, promoters, contracts, etc. Without promotion, the sample size of feedback is likely to be far too small to provide any real guidance unless one is lucky enough to receive a comment from a truly qualified listener that can be verified.

-------------------

I would encourage folks who have the time to not only make lots of stuff like many of us do, but also to make different versions of the same works. By different versions, I don't mean just a different type of master compressor or something trivial like that, but a completely different style, tempo, drum kit, instruments, modfied lyrics, and so on. I would like to provide an example of this, but don't want to be accused of self-promotion. The example not only shows a difference of style, etc. but a completely different attitude. I'm probably far from the only poster who has done this.

seangm wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 4:09 pm You're overthinking it
Please clarify.

Gavincoolguy wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:43 pm Feel free to post whatever you like the self promo thing is touchy but I think we are all on the same page here. I do make a wide variety of styles but I have never come back and redone a song in a different genre or instrumentation. It would be easy enough with midi stuff but I'm a very poor musician when it comes to doing stuff twice so lots of room to grow there. Lots of food for thought, thanks.
@DaveClark had some good advice, but when other people that you don't even know decide on their own initiative to paint your song in a different style, that's some validation that the core song was a good song in the first place, no matter how sung, no matter how played or presented.

havran wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:47 pm
seangm wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 4:09 pm You're overthinking it
Please clarify.
Needing clarification is overthinking it.

it is according to the 'stuff' lol
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

I WISH I could still make lots of stuff. Work, family, life, sleep, yada yada yada,..
So, yeah, make as much as you can while you can! :tu:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7 | TR-8S | MPC One | TD-3 MO

As a musician who is forever learning his craft, you are on a journey. The music you create along the way documents that journey.

Should you become very good and eventually successful, all of that music will serve as an interesting back catalogue for people to explore.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

it matters not, like children, your latest is always favourite!

"I am not one of the great composers. All the great ones have produced enormously. There is everything in their work - the best and the worst, but there is always quantity."

-Maurice Ravel

im on the "let if flow" side.
there will be times when it doesn't, and they tend to be rubbish, you sit around, not knowing what to do with the time?

whereas, as jamcat says, every piece you do, is part of a long journey.
even the worst of pieces teach us something that we use in the future, we learn from mistakes as much as successes.

plus, if you're enjoying the time and it's not in any way harmful to your life (ie unhappy partner or ignoring the kids...) then no one is getting hurt, why not enjoy the time instead of doing something you don't enjoy?

Thanks everyone. Great replies and my question is answered thoroughly!

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”