What's going on with Soundspot??

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've been in touch with Plugin Boutique and have now also been offered upgrade coupons for the plugins I purchased direct from Soundspot. Has anyone upgraded yet? I read somewhere they now use a program that loads at startup to check your licenses (like UAD)?

Yes there is now a new way to install the plugins via "Beatport Access" software, which really confused me at first. I thought the downloaded file was a mistake. Beatport seems to be a company that lets you listen to EDM music or something. It doesn't feel very well thought out, but in the end it was pretty easy to download and install the plugin through the software that seems to have nothing to do with either plugins or Plugin Boutique. :shrug:
the old free version may not work boots successfully on new generations of computers, instruments, and hardware

I think Beatport / Plugin Boutique / Loopmasters are all related companies so they are probably trying to dip into each customer base.

edit: just found this https://help.pluginboutique.com/hc/en-u ... rt-Access-

it looks like it checks in every 3 days for your licenses.

jasco wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:23 pmI just got a bunch of upgrade offers for the plugins I bought from Plugin Boutique but nothing as yet for the ones I bought direct from Soundspot.
Have a look on the product pages at PiB, there are banner ads with coupon codes that give you massive discounts, I just picked up WaveOSC for $10, even though it doesn't seem to have any new features over Union. Who knows, maybe it will get upgraded at some point now? It is still just about my most used plugin and it never lets me down.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I once complained to PB that Soundspot was using crappy generic algos for their reverb. They emailed that they read similar complaints, and Soundspot are "looking into some new algos" but quality does not seem to fit their business model. They fill the market niche of people who can't hear differences in quality but will buy based on cheap price and a decent UI.
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the sound quality in Union. I think it is extremely good, in fact. No doubt they do some things better than others but there are a few of their plugins I find very useful. Still, I can't believe you'd actually email them about something like that. I'm sure their response was very polite but I can imagine what they were really thinking when they read it.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:23 am I can't believe you'd actually email them
Their $165 'value' was so silly I asked, WTF?
BONES wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:23 am I can imagine what they were really thinking
Don't ask questions, just give us money!
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

Union sounds surprisingly good but Oracle reverb sounds like crap
aliasing plugin owner
:?

Oh yeah, Oracle lasted about 10 seconds in my plugins folder. It was a shocker. There are quite a few others that are garbage, too. I really only use Union and Halcyon these days, but I use both a lot. It's like anything, you have to pick and choose the stuff that's going to work for you.

I had a quick play around with WaveOSC yesterday and it's very definitely Union 1.2. I think the workflow is improved but that's as far as the changes go. I'm going to start using it in place of Union and see how it goes.

I updated from Union to WaveOsc on my mbp. I decided to stick to Union on my Mac mini. The changes are only cosmetic as far as I can see. WaveOsc has the disadvantage of needing this Beatport thing active on your system. You have to be online every 3 days. That is just annoying.

I'm sorry, but no plugin is worth having to have something like Beatport Access constantly running for approval. I'm going to uninstall the nanny and all the plugins that depend on it. I have hundreds of plugins. Can you imagine what it would be like if most other plugin developers were this narcissistic? My little system tray would be overflowing with Beatsports Accesses.

Nope. Two thumbs down and one flaccid penis.
the old free version may not work boots successfully on new generations of computers, instruments, and hardware

Why you'd go for plugins from a defunct company I can't imagine but to each their own.

I just bought WaveOSC and it's annoying to be online with this Beatport Access when opening the plugin. That is really a NO-GO. Uninstalled it. Game Over.

Three thumbs down :D
Cubase Pro 12 - WIN10 - Soniccore XITE-1

Michael L wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:03 amDon't ask questions, just give us money!
I've never given them more than $10 for anything. Last week a I gave a woman $10 because the laundromat only dealt in cash and she only uses her phone to pay for stuff. It's just money and she needed it more than I did at that specific moment.

I was going through the presets in WaveOSC the other night and I realised that if I could only have one VSTi in my toolkit, I reckon WaveOSC/Union could fit the bill really nicely. It has a sound that really works for me. I think it might be in the distortion algorithms as much as anything. They give it a really nice edge that you can dial in to perfection, pre and post filter. No wonder Union has featured so heavily in our work over a fairly long period of time.

Return to “Instruments”