the best vst emulation for roland tr 909?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The Sounds Outside the Lines one is a fantastic library.

I use Nerve to send midi to Kontakt and I'm having amazing results.

And I'm not into 909 so much but the tweakability is amazing.

The round robins add so much because the patterns feel organic as well as the punchyness yet transparent way of how they were recorded. This just captures the best in 909. IMO better than the real thing apart from the interface.

This is just some fun I had with the library in the first minutes of getting it:

http://soundcloud.com/mod-a/revolution-909-library-demo

The synths on top are demos of Synthix and OPX-Pro.

DSK wrote:The Sounds Outside the Lines one is a fantastic library.

I use Nerve to send midi to Kontakt and I'm having amazing results.

And I'm not into 909 so much but the tweakability is amazing.

The round robins add so much because the patterns feel organic as well as the punchyness yet transparent way of how they were recorded. This just captures the best in 909. IMO better than the real thing apart from the interface.

This is just some fun I had with the library in the first minutes of getting it:

http://soundcloud.com/mod-a/revolution-909-library-demo

The synths on top are demos of Synthix and OPX-Pro.
+1 on Sounds Outside the Lines

Being partizan myself whenever 909 is questioned i can say that this is by far best 909 sound you can get.

DSK i liked your very simplistic track. Totally good for my taste. Thanks for sharing..

Thanks! Much appreciated. :)

All I can say is that this library is very inspiring ...with Nerve being so easy to program and having such a amazing clock driving it helped also.
But I can imagine with the Ableton drum rack it would be fun or any midi sequencer...

Anyway it was a very fun session.. Just like when I had my real synths set up and played along with sequences. It gave me that feel that I rarely had with software.

+ I was imagining myself in the early 90's hehe

So no fuss, no crazy sound design, no extreme processing, no composition, no direction. Just like hitting power up and going.

Back on topic I think this library deserves support as he will make a 808 with enough attention arises... and we all know how heavy that would be.

Couldn't imagined 2 months ago having a 909 ITB let alone hoping for a 808.
8)

Just bought and installed Revolution 808, using Kontakt 4 the presets don't sound apart from the Claves and Rimshot, Kontakt is NOT missing the samples, it is loading them, I'm also bringing up the Kontakt keyboard to see where the samples are located - every preset/instrument bar the Claves/Rimshot are silent.

At the minute I am not happy, put in a support question to them... :(

Anyone else had this problem?

breakmixer wrote:Just bought and installed Revolution 808, using Kontakt 4 the presets don't sound apart from the Claves and Rimshot, Kontakt is NOT missing the samples, it is loading them, I'm also bringing up the Kontakt keyboard to see where the samples are located - every preset/instrument bar the Claves/Rimshot are silent.

The Dev's very helpfull > may be a corrupted download, hopefully - re download again not via wireless...

breakmixer wrote:Just bought and installed Revolution 808, using Kontakt 4 the presets don't sound apart from the Claves and Rimshot, Kontakt is NOT missing the samples, it is loading them, I'm also bringing up the Kontakt keyboard to see where the samples are located - every preset/instrument bar the Claves/Rimshot are silent.

Outputs?
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

electro wrote:

Outputs?
no, everything i was doing in kontakt was correct(followed dev's advice),

i tried to load the same samples into poise and the wav's were glitching/re-triggering or failing to load, even though they auditioned...

I downloaded via wireless to a netbook, transfered to external hardrive, then from external hardrive to studio pc, then unzipped, along the way it must of corrupted the files somehow, I've got another pc with direct internet acces, will download to that then burn to cd-rom then studio pc for install...

Fingers crossed it will be ok tommorow upon redownload.... :)

Cheers...

The Wave Alchemy samples are exquisite:

http://www.wavealchemy.co.uk/free-samples/p2

A lot of their libraries are recorded in through Lynx converters and their free Club Kicks sets, though Jomox and not real 909's, capture the 909 vibe beautifully. I like using Wave Alchemy kicks and Drumazon for everything else.

Personally, I've owned around 8 909's and they all sounded different.

Ableton has a pretty extensive library of vintage drum machine sounds. Not sure how close they comes to the real thing though.

I've never used an actual 909 or 808. I have a Boss drum machine though. They come with all kinds of dry drum sounds, including 808 and 909. Also, include a lot of good preset drum loops w/ fills.

if you happen to have sonar, take a look at trhe groovesynth, it comes with the original roland sounds.

look here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FQau2uZZXc

I'm owning the real thing for many years alongside several other analog and digital drum machines as well.

Nowdays I also make use of various software drum machines in a co-op situation with someone that doesn't own the machine for real. I prefer this approach instead of sampling because it provides in-depth parameter control for any of the collaborators

I must say that I love using Image Line's "Drum Synth Live"
because it harbours some very cool functions, such as:
[*] 2 Individualy controllable 'freq. slider based' OSC's
[*] Ring modulation (ring mod's both it's OSC's with each other)
[*] Patch morphing

And for me personaly the best feature of them all would probably be it's:
* Envelope re-triggering

Anyway, "Drum Synth Live" is highly underrated piece of software (imo.) and in fact, it is actually quite amazing!

It is a very easy to use and ultra flexible "dual OSC" drum machine based around the concept of two noise generators filtered by bandpass filters runned through a ADSR-circuit. This is the very same principal as for most analog drum machines such as Roland's TR-909 & 808.

The only difference is that with some of the 'real-life' drum machines, unless you physically modified the machine you get little to no control over most of it's parameters what so ever other than 'Level'.
While with "Drum Synth Live" you get almost like unlimited accesability via various different control over some damn 'useful' parameters!

This basicaly makes "Drum Synth Live" capable enough of reproducing some very close emulations of many 'real-life' drum machines including the 909/808/606 plus many more!!
And it does not stop there, you can build lots of sound types, such as:
"basses, sweeps, percussive sounds, sfx and various noises".

Remember it isn't a real emulation/clone of any of them so there are likely to be some slight differences in character of the sounds.

BUT.. (as mentioned in a previous post regarding the typical 909 clap)
Within "Drum Synth Live" there actually IS phasing happening within the sound!! So therefore the clap does have that typical dynamic characteristics!

As I said, it isn't emulating any real in particular and due to it's features it is way more versatile than all of the 'real-life' oldschool drum machines!

I hope this will be of any help!!
a career is born in public...
..talent in privacy!!!

Konfliktzone wrote:...
I must say that I love using Image Line's "Drum Synth Live"
because it harbours some very cool functions, such as:
[*] 2 Individualy controllable 'freq. slider based' OSC's
[*] Ring modulation (ring mod's both it's OSC's with each other)
[*] Patch morphing
Hi,

a bit strange that you post this in an old (started 3 years ago) thread about TR.909 emulations but nevermind...

In terms of Drum synth Waldorf Attack (released 2002 and still available with Waldorf Edition) is very nice and maybe one of the most full featured concerning synthesis (inluding FM and RingMod):

http://www.waldorf-music.info/archive/attack
http://www.waldorf-music.info/waldorf-edition-overview

While usually this was done to create drum sounds with a dedicated note per sound of the drum kit it is also possibe to use it as a Bass synth with a full range of notes.
It's also possible to map the sound to 6 different outputs which is nice to use effects for certain sounds like e.g. the Kick drum.
The standard kits include recreations of the TR-808 and TR-909 besides others.

While together with the rest of Waldorf Edition it was updated to 64-bit around 2 years ago with the current plugin updates (currently in beta) it should be also get available as AAX for ProTools (and maybe additional formats).

As part of the Waldorf Edition together with PPG Wave 2.V and the D-Pole filter it is also a bargain IMO.

To stay On topic i for drums i also have FXpansion Geist and D-16 Drumazon which is a very nice emulation of the TR-909.

One i don't own but which looks very interestimng is Linplug RMV:
http://www.linplug.com/rmv.html

Ther seem to be specific synth modules for certain drum categories like e.g. Kick, Snare, etc. (and could also use samples wehn needed).

Of course with some proper programming you could use almost any synth for doing drum sounds.

The additional controls in Dumazon (= TR-909) are maybe only few for each of the sounds but there seem to be some of the most important ones. As the basic sound is already there programming each sound from scratch does also not seem to be necessary in that case (while the synth engine for each sound is still there but "under the hood").

Anyway while i recently mostly used Drumazon and Geist i am currently re-discovering Attack, also in combination with some FXs like e.g. The Glue (from Live 9 Suite), PSP NobleQ and ValhallaVintageVerb.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Got a new contender in the ring: http://www.maxsynths.com/vsti_dr910.html

DR 910 by MaxSynths, costing €25 (32 bit only)

Wow, you have been fast Numanoid! :lol:

Let me share the audio demos...

https://soundcloud.com/massimobosco/set ... ound-demos

I live by the Iron Maiden motto: Be quick or be dead! :borg:

:D

Return to “Instruments”