minimal techno

How to make that sound...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

penguinfromdeep wrote:Yeah... Acid house I guess. I think this comes mainly from the use of tb-303. But at the same time lot of the aesthetics were close to what was later called minimal
yeah, not really.
Eins zwei drei vier funf sechs sieben acht

What do you think is the "real" minimal?

penguinfromdeep wrote:What do you think is the "real" minimal?
we just told you (and by "real" i'm assuming you mean the originators of minimal techno):

Sähkö Recordings
Basic Channel
Robert Hood
DBX

it's not the trendy glitchy stuff that everyone and their dog's been playing for the last five years...

u will find what minimal means in any dictionary. as u may know it's also an adjective ....and can be used to describe anything (whether it's design or music or whatver).
if its techno made with few and esssential elements then it can describe itself as minimal techno without havin to pay any notice to all this genre nonsense... ppl pay too much attention to the retarded media tagging operated by american music media ....starting with "techno" itself .

olicana wrote:u will find what minimal means in any dictionary. as u may know it's also an adjective ....and can be used to describe anything (whether it's design or music or whatver).
if its techno made with few and esssential elements then it can describe itself as minimal techno without havin to pay any notice to all this genre nonsense... ppl pay too much attention to the retarded media tagging operated by american music media ....starting with "techno" itself .
actually it's more the Europeans who have created all these sub genres for dance music. certain people on this side of the pond created House and Techno - then the music became big in Europa and tons of little sub genres were spun off...

dirty oscillators wrote: it's not the trendy glitchy stuff that everyone and their dog's been playing for the last five years...
What I hear nowadays is not that glitchy anymore actually. More straightforward techy influences. Of course you shouldn't neglect the history but things shouldn't stay stagnant. Open mind! I really like Sähkö, actually they are my countrymates...

yeah thank god that glitchy ubercoolische minimal trend is wearing off.

i agree with you, things shouldn't be stagnant. but as things progress, hopefully they'll continue to have substance and soul to them.

mnmlfrk wrote:operator or microtonic or attack seems to be tool of the trade here.
sine and white noise are your friend.
theres a particular something that got frozen reverbed at 2:04, i guess its one of the congas.
fx used are phaser and occasional short delay.

what is operator

dirty oscillators wrote:
olicana wrote:u will find what minimal means in any dictionary. as u may know it's also an adjective ....and can be used to describe anything (whether it's design or music or whatver).
if its techno made with new and esssential elements then it can describe itself as minimal techno without havin to pay any notice to all this genre nonsense... ppl pay too much attention to the retarded media tagging operated by american music media ....starting with "techno" itself .
actually it's more the Europeans who have created all these sub genres for dance music. certain people on this side of the pond created House and Techno - then the music became big in Europa and tons of little sub genres were spun off...
I gotta agree with you here... I'm from Toronto and from my experience I'd say around 90% of people in Canada and the US consider anything with a 4/4 kick drum either techno or euro.

Bugs me at times but the Toronto scene is looking pretty promising these days - and we've got the Guvernment so I get to see some solid acts coming through town now and then.

housejunkie81 wrote:
mnmlfrk wrote:operator or microtonic or attack seems to be tool of the trade here.
theres a particular something that got frozen reverbed at 2:04, i guess its one of the congas.

what is operator
I think its one of the stock synths (or possibly the only one) that comes with Ableton Live. I'm a cubase user though correct me if I'm wrong.

housejunkie81 wrote:what is operator
OPERATOR is Ableton Live's excellent FM Synth.

revbeats wrote:
housejunkie81 wrote:

what is operator
I think its one of the stock synths (or possibly the only one) that comes with Ableton Live. I'm a cubase user though correct me if I'm wrong.
not a stock synth, you have to purchase it additionally. goes way beyond drums, can be v-a-style or fm madness.

thanks for arguing, this always happens..

thanks to those who actually helped me :)

Check this out zypher. I did this like in 30mins. I kept it very simple interms of progressions. I think it gets the job done. ALL samples. Like I said, it's all about rhythmic percussion.

I guess it might be considered a bit of Tech-house also.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/m2lmqnnd2z2/BASSDRIVE - Minimalism.mp3

dirty oscillators wrote: ... he did a lot for the local scene in Detroit and Windsor but i wouldn't call him exactly a "pioneer".

suuuuuure... :roll:

thats just funny!
he may not be the atkins/may generation type pioneer, but he is pretty close.
and really, considering where the scene was at in those times, relatively, ritchie was huge.
definitions are tricky though. i consider a lot of what he did to be techno or acid.
the music i mean. 8)

anyway, +1 for stewart walker. awesome.

check out some record labels?-
playhouse
force tracks
perlon
pokerflat
mille plateux

eh.. first two anyway.. :P
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “Sound Design”