Recording Vocals

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Personally, I find the SM57 pretty interesting for vocals - it's not perfect for everything, but my upcoming album has a tune on which I used a 57. You can still use a pop filter on it, and it sounds better than a 58.

By the way, I'm not the only one with that opinion...

;-)

All up, though definitely start with a condensor, but hang on to that 57! Try it occasionally for a different vibe!!

:)
I've joined Lurkers Anonymous.

i've recorded vocals with a 57 :) but no grammy for me :) but its a tough little mic. For vocals, point it at a steep angle downwards towards the mouth, and all the puffs and blobs and saliva will (hopefully) pass beaneath the mic.

i recently bought an Oktava MK319 for $100 from a friend and let me tell you that the differnece from my previous mikes(sm 58 and 57) is tremendous. it catches sounds my ears don't, without a preamp. Deep, rich and full. Highly recommend it.

I'd like to point y'all to the latest TapeOp mag. There's a modification detailed for the SM57 that gives it more low end by removing the built in transformer. The article mentioned the ProSoundWeb site as it's source.
Hoozda Band

Can some one plees record just 2 vocals for me plees? :( i been looking for someone to record 2weaks and haven't found some one that would record :( so i ask all of u nicely if someone plees can record just 2 vocals?

I've recorded lots of vocals with a 57 and they came out great.. pop shield and get them "on" (close to)the mic.
Condensor is most certainly better and you can get an ok one for the same price as a 57 these days anyway.

Of course you're probably just been too self conscious when recording and keep second guessing your self.

Open up man, let the inner beast out and sing, sing.. sing.
I play guitar

Iam 13 and i produce hardstyle so i cant record my owne vocals :(

Hi,
First rule there are no rules.
2: experiment
3: less it's better and if it sounds good don't change anything.
4: enjoy what you have
5: listen the cd that you think they have great sound.

Mics: everybody would like to have neumann, AKG Telefunken because these are the mics that the greatest engineers use in their recordings. If you don't have these mics you can always rent from a studio or if you have cheaper mics enjoy your mics and try to take out the best from your mics.

Preamp,eq, compressor: the same above. Do you have UREI, NEVE, AVALON? If yes you are lucky if not enjoy what you have and do your best.

Voice has much to do with the sound on the cd. How warm, huge, or clear is the voice. There are people that don't need any effects, just a little of eq and nothing more.
So put your headphones in your ears, experiment with your voice, try to find the greatest carateristic of your voice and pratic until you think it's ok. take some records and cut what do you think is not ok and try again untill you get it.

Hope it help you.

Ciao

Andrea Pettinao
www.pettinhouse.com
Guitar, Drum and Bass sample libraries for Kontakt
www.pettinhouse.com

There is also Studio Projects B1 for 99 Euro.

digitaldoom wrote:things like whispers and spoken words do not seem to come out right.
We've discussed dynamic vs condenser mics 'n all now, but how did you process the tracks further? Did you experiment with EQ, compression & limiting? That helps to bring up your tracks, even when recorded with a SM57/58 it makes a huge difference.

Return to “Production Techniques”