Is Serum worth cashing out for, when you get Vital for free?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Current Hive 2 Massive X RAPID Synthesizer Serum Vaporizer2 Vital VPS Avenger

Jac459 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:58 pm
Biscotto wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:33 pm
Jac459 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:29 am but I will buy the v2 as soon as it is out
According to sources, it will be a free update to previous owners. No need to buy.
I heard the contrary.
But if you are right, then my whole point about serum being too expansive now is wrong.
To add to the list, Serum doesn’t need an internet connection c/r “BS” to work, and that’s a huge developer’s act of fate in the users for a synth that has some serious reasons to be desired at any cost…
That is true.
It’s my primary synth and is not in my signature because the others are “the” extras if you will.

Current is a hell of a tool not for the OSC (they are OK) but for the FX. SerumFX is not to be taken lightly and it comes with the whole modulation section “and” the OCS on top!
This one about the oscillators of current, I disagree :-).
You own it and I’m surprised you haven’t explore it to its depth according to your reaction to the above list. You’ll be surprised.
Well, I have been a long reason studios users with a strict no-vst policy.
Reason is full of hidden gems like Europa or Expanse which are good competitors of serum.
When I moved to bitwig , my first vst was Serum. But it was somewhat eclipsed by the awesomeness of Bitwig (it is a question of taste here, I am not saying Bitwig is perfect, it is just perfect for me). Then I bought phase plant and it switched my attention away from serum, if I want to start a patch from scratch, I always go to phase plant. Then I started to buy a shit ton of other stuffs and finally end-up using serum less and less.
One big strength about serum is its modulation mechanism, but most of the case, with any synth, I use the one of Bitwig, preferably with a CLAP compatible plugin in order to have polyphonic modulations (U-He Hive or Diva, Surge XT).

This way, I don't have to re-learn modulations for each synths. It is unified.

Sorry for this long post almost off-topic. It is just to point that a story with an instrument is also heavily dependant on timing.
Europa? I love that thing in Reason and as VST in Ableton.
Very sweet synth.
Maybe one day Current will have a Wavetable editor at least like Vital.
Yes, with disagree on OSC vs FX and that’s good for you so you will no spend money on the bundle :tu: :D

I understand your Serum half journey. Perhaps Serum 2 will get you back on the path with a deeper exploration of this extraordinary synth. :tu:
Pigments - Diva - Tal U-No-LX - Tal Sampler

Biscotto wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:19 pm I understand your Serum half journey. Perhaps Serum 2 will get you back on the path with a deeper exploration of this extraordinary synth. :tu:
Yes, absolutely.
Cheers.

Jac459 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:29 am but I will buy the v2 as soon as it is out
According to sources, it will be a free update to previous owners. No need to buy.

To add to the list, Serum doesn’t need an internet connection c/r “BS” to work, and that’s a huge developer’s act of fate in the users for a synth that has some serious reasons to be desired at any cost…

It’s my primary synth and is not in my signature because the others are “the” extras if you will.

Current is a hell of a tool not for the OSC (they are OK) but for the FX. SerumFX is not to be taken lightly and it comes with the whole modulation section “and” the OCS on top!

You own it and I’m surprised you haven’t explore it to its depth according to your reaction to the above list. You’ll be surprised.
Yes it will be free according to Steve.
Just going through the wavetables editor’s menus and you can go so deep…
You can even send a wavetable straight to the noise section and you get technically 4 OSC.
Then you’ve got OSC remap…
And then you can modulate the LFO points…
And… so much more.
I’ve made wave tables from Diva…

Anyway, OT, you moved to Reason.
Was ReasonRack/Ableton not sufficient?
MuLab of course :D

liquidsound wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:54 am

Yes it will be free according to Steve.
Just going through the wavetables editor’s menus and you can go so deep…
You can even send a wavetable straight to the noise section and you get technically 4 OSC.
Then you’ve got OSC remap…
And then you can modulate the LFO points…
And… so much more.
I’ve made wave tables from Diva…

Anyway, OT, you moved to Reason.
Was ReasonRack/Ableton not sufficient?
I know. After so many years I’m still in awe for Serum.
Nothing that I know can surpass it, even though Dune 3 is out of this world for its sonic power and efficiency (most of the time).

Ableton is still with me. I moved back to Reason (started late in the game at v2.5) after trying to port huge amount of old projects in Ableton due to the Reason Rack integration, but I decided to complete some of those half backed projects, and revise others, in Reason App.

So I’ll be busy for awhile in the RS.
Pigments - Diva - Tal U-No-LX - Tal Sampler

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”