Favorite granular effect?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Autochroma is cool, uses a lot of cpu tho. seemingly. Like the most of pretty much
anything ive tried. Probably pass on it myself.

pekbro wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 3:15 pm Autochroma is cool, uses a lot of cpu tho. seemingly. Like the most of pretty much
anything ive tried. Probably pass on it myself.
Sounds beautiful on first sight. Yet way too Cpu consuming for sure.
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

damn, portal is indeed cheap (for output stuff) atm but no way to demo it... is it comparable to Kentaro stuff? does it bring anything more to the table?
member of the guild of professional dilettantes.

Portal was $66 a few days ago
now it is $68 at Thomann.
https://www.thomannmusic.com/output_portal.htm

15 pages of thread. Are we any wiser?
<list your stupid gear here>

Less is more.

that there are a lot, a lot of granular effects, we are swamped, minor differences.

a very new approach will be welcome..

and i have many granular effects, like them, use them..

but the market is flooded.

and new approaches seem to be, nowhere. and with new i mean; not clouds; the pad/drone/ambient machines that they can be, or almost are...
but a real change in what you can do with grains, because a grain has many properties, when it is smaller, and even it is longer, it is recomposing (/or resounding....) method.

you can achieve it already.

but someone can get an idea, how to make a really different granular.

i just demoed "Stream".
this creates in my hands clicks at the loop transition.
The midi mapping in my host looked also quite flaky.
Never had there any such problems. ( the intercommunication for automapping did not work when CC mapping)
looks to me like beginners work in several aspects
I just deleted it

Just demoed also autochroma. And it gave me also just nothing.
The parameter set is not made for me and how i want to jamm with such thing

Thanks for the feedback here, folks ! all much welcome since i´m also a sucker for this type of tools.

i really wished Qu-bit Nebulae2 was available as software.
Thats a ton of fun for jamming down with one sample.

Well I think more hardware granular will eventually be released at lower prices as cpus become more powerful, so there's that to look forward to.
<list your stupid gear here>

Funky40 wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 10:30 pm i just demoed "Stream".
this creates in my hands clicks at the loop transition.
The midi mapping in my host looked also quite flaky.
Never had there any such problems. ( the intercommunication for automapping did not work when CC mapping)
looks to me like beginners work in several aspects
I just deleted it

Just demoed also autochroma. And it gave me also just nothing.
The parameter set is not made for me and how i want to jamm with such thing

Thanks for the feedback here, folks ! all much welcome since i´m also a sucker for this type of tools.

i really wished Qu-bit Nebulae2 was available as software.
Thats a ton of fun for jamming down with one sample.
Autochroma can pretty do much what Nebulae does.

Buffer stretching, glitching, freezing etc. So can Fragments and Silo to a lesser extent.

Autochroma doesn't have particularly good documentation. I had to discover a lot of stuff myself.

Documentation is none, found this Walkthrough pretty helpful though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-_NlWP6rmE

El°HYM wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 2:24 pm Documentation is none, found this Walkthrough pretty helpful though.
i just stepped quickly thru it, searching for music, haha.
I might have to check again.
kraster wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:43 am Autochroma can pretty do much what Nebulae does.
okey, interesting
kraster wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:43 am So can Fragments and Silo to a lesser extent.
hmm, i have this two. it could have been me. But i saw nothing in this direction.
i´ll see. Thanks for feedback

I have both Portal and Fragments and use Fragments constantly especially because of the modulation. I just never use Portal which is a shame but I find I like the results better with Fragments.

Funky40 wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:31 pm
El°HYM wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 2:24 pm Documentation is none, found this Walkthrough pretty helpful though.
i just stepped quickly thru it, searching for music, haha.
I might have to check again.
kraster wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:43 am Autochroma can pretty do much what Nebulae does.
okey, interesting
kraster wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:43 am So can Fragments and Silo to a lesser extent.
hmm, i have this two. it could have been me. But i saw nothing in this direction.
i´ll see. Thanks for feedback
For buffer scrubbing you need to change the scan mode in Autochroma to "Vel' or "POS". This gives you manual control over the play head using position.

The little blue flags in the main window set the length of the buffer.

In the placement section The offset is how far from the play head the grains are produced. Rate controls how many grains per second or beat are produced.

Snap and grid add a quantised aspect to the grain generation.

Length controls how long each grain lasts and the envelope below sets the individual grain envelope. Pitch and reverse are self explanatory as are the filter and spread/pan.

I use it with a push in Ableton with four knobs to control Speed in Vel mode, offset, rate and length.

Modulation can be dragged onto a control and depth adjusted by click and dragging on the depth control. Some controls (Like the filter and the Pan/Spread have two modulation slots. Right clicking on a depth control toggles between unipolar and bipolar modulation.

The current output is in the little window in the bottom and this can be dragged into a daw or dragged back into autochroma itself.

Right clicking on a stream header allows you to copy it's setting to another stream. Double click on the header to activate/deactivate.

Also in the settings you can increase the number of grains per stream. It gets prettu CPU heavy at 600 grains though.

Puremagnetik Lore looks to be available at $44.50 (code: NOV23). I'm watching videos and trying to figure out if it goes where others don't go.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Return to “Effects”