MuLab 9.2.22 (CLAP plugin support)

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sorry Michael, to reply to your comment a little better, you get distracted by many gui doodads, as you say, but for me, I get distracted by all the menus, it slows me down and I can sometimes forget or have to rethink what I was doing. I get that that is what makes MuLab what it is, but to appeal to more people, surely the option to have more gui elements should be possible?

I mean think about it, you no doubt use keyboard shortcuts, yes? To me that is OK for a few items, but then gets out of hand if you need 20 or 30 shortcuts. Buttons and even user created menus make the app more flowable for every user.

For example, I use XYplorer as my file manager. I've created a handful of buttons and a few menus. I created a menu for the standard file, view, edit, etc, toolbar reducing unused content so I see only what I use. This one menu has made the app massively more usable.

I then created two menu buttons for folders and most used features like new folder, new ini file, move content up, toggle hidden files, etc. Things I use most. This one feature of customisation was my sole choice in purchasing this app. And it is a powerful feature believe me!

So when I requested the option to add these features, albeit in a limited form, to MuLab, it is with a very good reason. Having an app where you basically design it's interface is the best app you can have when it comes to work flow.

If you need a specific feature only available in certain software then you're limited, I don't have that restriction, but tbh that's because I'm only an amateur hobbyist. But I could just as easily use reaper and get everything I want and it has been crossing my mind a lot lately cos it has more plugin compatibility but the customisation is hard work, I've tried. That's the only reason I haven't left MuLab, we'll and the fact I love it's simple interface!

Sorry for the long posts. Not having a dig at anyone, I know I can come across that way at times, it's not intended to be that way, so again apologies if it does.

syntonica wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:39 pm dragging a plugin into the track area would suit me more. It's closer than all the way to the other side or the bottom of the screen.
Implemented in the next update. For creating a new track that is.

sl23 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:03 am One general suggestion for a quicker workflow. In the 'Browser/What' field, there is the option to select either Synth or Effect plugins, could we please have these as buttons so we can go straight to them? Maybe add the buttons next to the other Browser buttons? Thanks.
Ok i found some spare time this weekend to have a look at this.
An idea is to have an extra function in the browser's options menu called "Quick Preset Buttons". This pops up a dialog where you can indicate up to 12 of your browser preset names.
Each indicated preset name will then be shown as a button, cfr attached mockup.
In this mockup there are 3 such Quick Browser Preset Buttons. They only show the first char of the preset name to keep the buttons small, but hovering them shows the full preset name.
Of course, clicking such button instantly recalls that browser preset. So that saves 1 mouseclick to recall a preset. If the browser is too small it only shows the Quick Browser Preset Buttons that fit the browser's width.

What do you think?

Maybe too much overhead just to save that 1 click to recall a browser preset?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mutools wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:46 pm What do you think?
Good idea, I like that - if no assignment has been made, the buttons will not be displayed (good for those who don't like buttons).

P.S. Show three letters if the browser is wide enough and maybe add png/ico support.

mutools wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:46 pmThey only show the first char of the preset name to keep the buttons small
I think it would be nice if you could set the name (like you can for an instance of a plug in) and have pressing that key that be a shortcut to select the plugin. It would be more useful than "P" four times for different pianos...

Isn't it about browser presets (favourite directories)? Or plugin presets? I'm confused :D

Thanks for looking at it Jo, I appreciate that. I think you have misunderstood me though.

I wasn't asking to have presets set as buttons, but rather be able to set buttons that reflect a menu option. The whole point was so that we could click a button and the vst synth menu would appear in the browser, or click another button and vst fx would be shown. Yet another button could be set to show the MuX module list. Because from that point, you've saved time clicking the waht and where fields and looking for options you want and it's very quick once the desired list appears in the browser to select the option you're looking for.

For me, it was to eliminate the drop down menus associated with the what and where fields.

Unless of course you can implement this idea of showing the entire list of vst's or whatever along with selected presets? Maybe I am the one misunderstanding?!

Also, maybe show two letters and make them user configurable, so for vst synth you could show SY, for MuX module list show MX. or preset to that if user configurable is going too far! Probably is actually.

Thank you again for adding this feature, I wasn't expecting it so quick!

sl23 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:05 pm Also, maybe show two letters
Three letters! :D I'd use: Fav(ourites), Ins(truments VST), Fx(VST), MXi (Mux Instruments), MXe (Mux Effects) Tem(plates), Pro(jects)

Or even better: as many letters as we want - see the NI Maschine configurable favourite list:
---
Fav_Dir.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

robert_p wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:51 pmIsn't it about browser presets (favourite directories)?
Yes
This feature lets you add buttons next to the Options menu to access your list of Browser (directory) presets with one mouse click instead of two.
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

Michael L wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:52 pm
robert_p wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:51 pmIsn't it about browser presets (favourite directories)?
Yes
This feature lets you add buttons next to the Options menu to access your list of Browser (directory) presets with one mouse click instead of two.
Lol yeah that's it! I need more sleep!

robert_p wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:30 pm
sl23 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:05 pm Also, maybe show two letters
Three letters! :D I'd use: Fav(ourites), Ins(truments VST), Fx(VST), MXi (Mux Instruments), MXe (Mux Effects) Tem(plates), Pro(jects)

Or even better: as many letters as we want - see the NI Maschine configurable favourite list:
---
Fav_Dir.jpg
I get that would be more descriptive, but then it would increase the space each button takes up. I think two letters would be sufficient:
FV - Favourites,
VI - VST Instruments,
VX - VST Effects,
MI - Mux Instruments,
MX - Mux Effects,
TM - Templates,
PJ - Projects.

It's logical and even if you don't see it straight away, it won't take long to realise what each is. as there are only a limited number of categories.

To complete the 'What' list:
SQ - Sequences
AF - Audio Files
SM - Samples
MS - Multi Samples
SY - Synth Plugins
FX - Effect Plugins
MP - MUX Presets
MM - MUX Modules
RK - Rack Presets
CO - Composer Presets
MC - MuClips
MD - MIDI Files
AL - All Files

When clicking on one of these buttons, it would be more efficient for workflow if all locations would appear in the browser list. negating the need for the 'Where' box, though I'm not 100% on that one. And the 'Which' box is really a Search field to enter a term to find a specific item, unless I'm mistaken? So, shouldn't it just be called Search instead? Just a thought ;)
Last edited by sl23 on Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

sl23 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:58 am I think two letters would be sufficient
MI (Mux Instruments) and MI(DI) - both buttons would look the same;)

Aaa, ok, MIDI would be MD, thats fine

CI Clap Instruments
CX Clap effects
AI All Instruments
AX All efforts

Where do you get the label for Mux Instruments? I can't find that option in the browser? The point was to remove the need for the What field at the top of the browser. That menu does nothing for me but slow my workflow, hence my request. Btw, I wrote... MD - MIDI Files

Oh I see what you're saying, so instead of clicking MUX Presets then opening the Browser section for Instruments you just have a button for it? Hmm, I see now that maybe three letters would be better if Jo makes it work that way. Although I was just trying to avoid the 'What' field usage, as personally, I don't have an issue with selecting a Button for MUX presets then selecting in the browser whether I want Synth or FX. That may make more work than needed, but if that's what you would like then yeah sure, why not. :)

TonesFreak wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:15 am CI Clap Instruments
CX Clap effects
AI All Instruments
AX All efforts
Well, In the Browser What field, it's been renamed to Synth Plugins and Effect Plugins, sooo, SP and FP would be more appropriate.

Does it need to be divided into what type of plugin it is? You don't really need to know that info when producing do you?

Return to “MUTOOLS”