is Audacity now Spyware?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Telemetry can be good or bad, depending on how it is used. I don't mind telemetry such as error reporting and version reporting and such. What I don't like, is when they go through everything I own, and use the metadata collected to push targeted advertising to my computer. The browser makers are the worst offenders in this case, but it seems everyone is trying to monetize this kind of telemetry. A good rule of thumb with these things is that if a company is offering you a product for free, you can be sure that "YOU" are the product. Your own personal determination will have to be the deciding factor as to whether this is something you are willing to tolerate or not. I personally try to avoid telemetry, but like I said above.....it all depends. :)
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Audacity caught me cracking one off in my neighbours shed. Needless to say, I unistalled it.

seafire wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:23 pm Audacity caught me cracking one off in my neighbours shed. Needless to say, I unistalled it.
:o

:hihi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v72OcxeovQw
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

audiojunkie wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:13 pm Telemetry can be good or bad, depending on how it is used. I don't mind telemetry such as error reporting and version reporting and such.
Telemtetry can also be great to know "what the user wants". Unfortunately, people rather think that their own, subjective (and often minority) opinion equates to "what the user wants", rather than just activating telemetry.

seafire wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:23 pm Audacity caught me cracking one off in my neighbours shed. Needless to say, I unistalled it.
Your moans are in the cloud now. Tough luck.

chk071 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:29 pm
audiojunkie wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:13 pm Telemetry can be good or bad, depending on how it is used. I don't mind telemetry such as error reporting and version reporting and such.
Telemtetry can also be great to know "what the user wants". Unfortunately, people rather think that their own, subjective (and often minority) opinion equates to "what the user wants", rather than just activating telemetry.
There may be truth to that. I think the ideal solution would be giving the user the choice to enable or disable such functionality. Then everyone should be happy!!! :D

......or would they be? :scared: :hihi:

I had the timeline slightly wrong: telemetry came after Muse takeover but before license trouble. https://hackaday.com/2021/07/13/muse-gr ... -audacity/

audiojunkie wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:35 pm
chk071 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:29 pm
There may be truth to that. I think the ideal solution would be giving the user the choice to enable or disable such functionality. Then everyone should be happy!!! :D
I frankly wouldn't mind, but, the way I know the fellow computer musicians, they will either all opt out, or even complain about it. So, I don't think it would be very popular.

As we all know, it's much better to burst out online with your wicked ideas, and then claim you're the majority's voice. :hihi:

chk071 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:31 pm
Your moans are in the cloud now. Tough luck.
It was more a cry wank tbh...

Well, it may have ended up on a BDSM site then, if you're lucky.

I just stopped updating it after v 3.2.4 because it works so why fix something not broke?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”