2024: A Year in Gear (What You've Bought or Want to Buy in 2024)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

McLilith wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:35 pm New Gear's Resolutions:

In the coming year, I'll try not to neglect any of my gear. I want every piece to get some regular use, even if it's just a small amount.

If I can't find a good use for any particular item, it's time to find a new home for it.

I have some broken gear, and I plan to fix everything I'm capable of fixing.

And most importantly, finish more projects with my gear! I mean, that's supposedly why I have the gear, right? :hihi:

Does anyone else have some New Gear's Resolutions they'd like to share? :)
this could be a separate thread :)

McLilith wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:35 pm Does anyone else have some New Gear's Resolutions they'd like to share? :)
I kind of touched on this in my other post, but:

1. I have a bunch of stuff (both hardware and software) that deserves a lot more exploration. I did a few deep dives of some of my more complex gear last year, but I plan to make a more inclusive list of gear and techniques to go through methodically.

2. As cool as some little desktop hardware synths are, I don't need another one. I'm also going to resist software synths (aside from Sumu and Myth), but, we'll see.

3. I have plenty of delays and reverbs, including plugins. I'm going to resist buying any more of them, no matter how much mojo/character/charm/pixie dust they have, unless it's something truly unique and novel.

4. Probably going to continue staying away from pedals.

5. I'm not really making promises about the modular, but I'll probably keep it pretty stable aside from a few planned minor changes.

vurt wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:00 pm

In the coming year, I'll try not to neglect any of my gear. I want every piece to get some regular use, even if it's just a small amount.

If I can't find a good use for any particular item, it's time to find a new home for it.

And most importantly, finish more projects with my gear! I mean, that's supposedly why I have the gear, right? :hihi:

I agree! Someone should start it. :tu:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7 | TR-8S | MPC One | TD-3 MO

Sounds good to me. [A New Gears Resolution Thread]
<list your stupid gear here>

Noise Plethora
Polar8 & VC Logics (Tesseract Modular)
GR2 (dual gate randomizer by Xodes)
Beat Freqs (Nonlinear Circuits)
Delay 1
Ochd + Expander
Ruina Versio (or some other Versio, if I can find a good deal and then flash the Ruina firmware!)
Pam's Pro Workout + Axon/PPEXP1
Always Read the Manual!

I still haven't solved my keyboard problem. I'm considering the new NI controller and an Osmos. I'm also considering a workstation and/or an arranger workstation. I'm not kidding, don't laugh. In fact, if Korg or Yamaha offered their mid-range arrangers in 76 key versions, I probably would have bought one already.

So 3 things are coming for 2024:

NI S88 Mkiii
CBA CXM 1978
CBA PreAmp Mkii

I don't want to add much more next year. The CXM is something I've been lusting over for a very long time. The PreAmp MKii will replace 1 pedal and then make up for the other drive pedals I got rid of.

I still have to get rid of Opsix, SE-02 & EXT-Box. I was planning to sell Microfreak, but it's a perfect size with CV/Midi outs that makes it worth keeping, especially with its form factor.

2023 Jamuaries helped me decide to get rid of things. I'm very curious to see what I can get out of 2024 Jamuaries.

vurt wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:00 pm

Ok. Wish granted. :tu:

viewtopic.php?t=605520

I'm involved with photography & audio. For more info, take a look at my site:
GlenVision.com

Looks like I'm first for 2024? Just purchased a Korg Minilogue, the original silver version. Might sound like an odd choice, especially as I have the XD version already, but I've been loving the sound for a very long time. It's nice and punchy with that 24db filter. Anyway, first hardware purchase since as far back as 2021.
<list your stupid gear here>

Finally finished fixing the LEDs on the Elmyra2, so it counts as this year. To my utter relief, no further issues.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

egbert101 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:35 pm Looks like I'm first for 2024? Just purchased a Korg Minilogue, the original silver version. Might sound like an odd choice, especially as I have the XD version already, but I've been loving the sound for a very long time. It's nice and punchy with that 24db filter. Anyway, first hardware purchase since as far back as 2021.
I picked up some discounted New Year's Eve noisemakers at WalMart earlier today, for the purpose of sampling them and making something more musical out of them. :)
I'm involved with photography & audio. For more info, take a look at my site:
GlenVision.com

I don’t have any “must have” stuff on my list, but I will be keeping an eye out for a chance to pick up a number of things cheap and/or second hand, mainly a new extra rack - probably 6u 104hp or more with full rails (powered for eurorack).

Very little I’m after new except a Befaco MIDI Thing v2 when that finally surfaces and if Behringer pushes out a Brophet-16 in 2024 I’d be very interested, especially in a desktop form factor. Same goes for their Subharmonicon clone.

Also interested in getting one or two guitars overhauled at my local guitar store, plus always have me eyes open for a Telecaster I like the look of.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

I got through 2023 with only one hardware purchase ... a Pittsburg Modular Taiga.
Haven't bought anything this year (yet) other than a couple of M4L devices.

Well, that didnt last long. Ordered a (now-discontinued) Dreadbox Antidote, after finding it new for a shade over £50.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Two days into 2024 and I've already bought more than I planned to this year :dog:

I found a deal on a Dexibell SX7 that was too good to pass up (I've wanted one for a while now) and I realized over the past few days that my Akai MPC Live2 just isn't my cup o' tea after diving in deep with it. I guess I'm an Elektron guy, and not an MPC guy, so the SX7 will replace it and I'll just stick with my Elektrons for outboard drums.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7 | TR-8S | MPC One | TD-3 MO

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”