deciding on sampled instrument file formats and workflow

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

SFZ support is from a module for VCV Rack that's not part of the core set, so make sure to point people to the specific module.

audiojunkie wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:09 am Over all, despite its idiosyncrasies (all formats have them), I truly believe SFZ is the best and most supported format outside of the proprietary Kontakt format.
Yes I believe that too. Can't stress that enough! :wink:
audiojunkie wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:09 am If a person wants to build a library of instruments that are never likely to go away or die from lack of support, this open format is truly the one to use.
This is also the most important reason for me to set up an sfz library. :)

Anyone who has done a conversion from one format that was abandoned or
configured differently by the manufacturer, to another format knows how
painful and time-consuming it is. :?
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

skybrian wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:40 pm Endless Wave seems like a reasonable way to put the loop points into the sample files. But I'm wondering if there's a good way to automatically extract them out into a chunk that can be pasted into an SFZ file? I have been copying each number by hand. It's not too bad for the limited number of samples I've been using, but a bit annoying.
I currently use MSoundFactory to build the instrument regions. It automatically detects sample metadata loop points. I need to set the crossfade amount to 0 since it defaults to 25%, and I try to loop the sample file with no crossfading if possible in Sound Forge. When I export to SFZ, MSoundFactory uses loop_start and loop_end opcodes correctly.

It supports pitch_keycenter, lokey, hikey, lovel, hivel as well, so it can do velocity layers. It doesn't do round-robin or articulations but will write the regions, which is plenty.

It puts each opcode on its own line. So in Notepad++ I run a regex replace to put them all on a single region line which makes them easier to edit:

Code: Select all

\r\n(?=\<)

I may be a little late to this thread, but if the OP has a current version of Logic Pro then the easiest way to start is to record all of the pitches (and other ‘articulations’ or velocity layers) on one long track in Logic and drop the whole thing into Logic’s ‘Sampler’ under the “Optimized” heading. It will automatically calculate pitches, crop samples (zones in Apple speak) at transients, automatically set loop points and crossfades (YMMV) and sometimes even figure out basic dynamics layering. Clean up anything that isn’t quite right and take yellowmix up on his offer to convert the .EXS to a .SFZ!
-airforceguitar

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”