New at AlgoMusic: X-WOF PRO !

RELATED
PRODUCTS

I think you could clean up the GUI if you wanted to put the effort into it. Here's a 5-minute cleanup of the mixer section off-hand:

I think you could keep all the controls visible AND cut the size down by 15-20% - AND make it look COOL! I'd be game for doing it for you if you're interested, let me know.

krhen wrote:I think you could clean up the GUI if you wanted to put the effort into it. Here's a 5-minute cleanup of the mixer section off-hand:

I think you could keep all the controls visible AND cut the size down by 15-20% - AND make it look COOL! I'd be game for doing it for you if you're interested, let me know.
hi,
although that looks really very nice, this solution is not possible by now within SE as Your solution needs to draw elements on the background. But as there are swappable screen-areas the background has to be "clean" else you see items on the background which do not belong to eg. Perc. or Voc/wav-Setup. This would lead to a completely distorted screen. Now You might imagine why Your solution can not be realized - unfortunately :(

Please keep in mind this is not just a single synth where one has a lot of space onscreen but a rather complex machine with a lot elements partly sharing screen areas.

cheers
Fortune

Well I've just bought it and I think the interface is fine.

aMUSEd wrote:Well I've just bought it and I think the interface is fine.
( finally got to KvR..closed down all this morning)
looking forward to hear what you'll do with it. This type of stuff was really only availble in the MIDI world ( such as KeyKit and all the Atari programs on my site) Its nice to have something to actually play with and experiment with in the VST world. Not too many synths like this!

TC

Always been into algorithmic stuff (since Koan pro).

Finding it is overwhelming my poor cpu though - much more than the free version did (damn - should have checked the demo before buying but assumed the freebie would do) - any ideas to reduce the hit? Getting lots of clicks and stuttering on some patches.

Also if I open it in Energy XT some patches have no sound - is it because I need to connect all the audio outs? (Ext by default just connects the first one)

also - it would be useful if it could have, in a future version, a midi out for each module so you could hook it up to multiple instruments such as a sampler and a couple of synths and run a whole ensemble.

hey...what happened...i thought this particular thread was on Instruments, as we were announcing it there...guess Ben decided to move it? GADS!

TC

I'm getting confused too - can you merge them?

aMUSEd wrote:Always been into algorithmic stuff (since Koan pro).

Finding it is overwhelming my poor cpu though - much more than the free version did (damn - should have checked the demo before buying but assumed the freebie would do) - any ideas to reduce the hit? Getting lots of clicks and stuttering on some patches.

Also if I open it in Energy XT some patches have no sound - is it because I need to connect all the audio outs? (Ext by default just connects the first one)

also - it would be useful if it could have, in a future version, a midi out for each module so you could hook it up to multiple instruments such as a sampler and a couple of synths and run a whole ensemble.

Hi...yes in eXT, you have to connect the outputs to the main audio if you want to hear them. Once you do, you can save the config in eXT and call it up later.

Its rather hi CPU on my machine too, but on some others it is fine. If you mute parts, it reduces CPU as well.

TC

aMUSEd wrote:I'm getting confused too - can you merge them?
no idea how to do that :-( :x

the reason we posted on instruments was to let people know about it..not everyone comes to the AlgoMusic forum!

Maybe I should not have put "AlgoMusic" in there. ARRRR

:x

( hey..I don't hardly get to use that :x icon very much :shock:

TC :x

tconrardy wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:Always been into algorithmic stuff (since Koan pro).

Hi...yes in eXT, you have to connect the outputs to the main audio if you want to hear them. Once you do, you can save the config in eXT and call it up later.
Thanks - I've done that now. I've also had to set EXT up to start with WOF turned off as I'm finding it just kills my CPU if it plays while loading - especially as the first patch is the worst (you might want to change to a more CPU frienedly starter in future or even an init patch)

Now how do I set it up in Chainer? Again several patches are silent but there's no way to set up multiple outs in Chainer is there?

it is not a gray gui but broncotic which is a variation of bronze ... now you might conclude what there will be in the future.
Call the colour what you will, but visually it looks dull, institutional,ugly and uninspiring. Think of paint on factory walls! The small print and crowded knobs don't help either

Please see other commercial guis for inspiration. (Maybe Ugo wants a gui design project!)
At a resolution of 1280 x 1024 one needs a monitor of a respective size. I'm running 1024x768 on a 17" which should be a quite average measure of what configurations are out in common.
I'm running 2 x 19" monitors at 1280 x 1024. I didn't buy them to
be limited by one vsti's gui design for a 1024 x 768 rez.

Most other vsti's manage to be quite readable at 1280 x 1024.
It's a failure of WOF Pro's gui design that makes it hard to read/use in comparison to other
vsti's. See Albino, RMIV LoungeLizard2, Cameleon 5000, Pentagon (especially with the Northern Beat skins!), Ravity,
Ugo's String Theory, etc,etc.
Anyway, having the parts grouped in a tab-like manner would provide more space for each part, but most like to have all controls visible for instant access. So there is no way to do it right to all.
IOW, it's better to have a gui with all controls stuffed on one page? Access is hardly instant as
time is needed to pick out each small individual control.
Basically I was thinking at a time of doing a "Player-Version" with only some most relevant controls, no synthpart-editing etc. - just a preset-player with X/Y-joystick .

You may not realize it, but you just agreed with me. If the present WOF Pro gui was not crowded, why are you now suggesting a simplified version?
A tabbed version would allow a simplified gui without giving up control as the player version would.

krhen wrote:I think you could clean up the GUI if you wanted to put the effort into it. Here's a 5-minute cleanup of the mixer section off-hand:

If WOF Pro's gui looked like krhen's version here, I would have bought it right away and had few complaints.

Krhen: your gui works visually where the original doesn't, well done.

aMUSEd wrote:
Thanks - I've done that now. I've also had to set EXT up to start with WOF turned off as I'm finding it just kills my CPU if it plays while loading - especially as the first patch is the worst (you might want to change to a more CPU frienedly starter in future or even an init patch)

Now how do I set it up in Chainer? Again several patches are silent but there's no way to set up multiple outs in Chainer is there?
Have You tried it in MiniHost (recent version) with the option mixdown to Stereo activated in the VST-menu.

about the CPU-usage:
I've checked it as well in my old PIII,1Ghz, where XWoF Pro uses around 50% to 55% within MiniHost, no special driver and a SB-live value. On my PIV, 2.53GHz the CPU-usage is in general around 20% to 22% within MiniHost. About the same within Steinberg Cubase SL 1.0.
If You don't use transpose via MIDI/Keyboard at realtime it may help to set the ASIO latency of Your audio-device a bit higher.

Cheers
Fortune

This would lead to a completely distorted screen. Now You might imagine why Your solution can not be realized - unfortunately
I think you're missing something then, or don't fully understand skinning. How is it that other SE developers are able to make such GUIs and you can't? Personally I own SE but haven't gotten that far into it, but I do know that you can draw a background, which would include all labels etc. and then only have the controls show up as controls over that background (masks tell you what shows through and what shows on top). I mean, clearly it can be done - if you don't know how that's a different matter.
Krhen: your gui works visually where the original doesn't, well done.
Thanks its a shame. I think it could be excellent visually as well as functionally. The original WOF skin was stunning!

krhen wrote:
This would lead to a completely distorted screen. Now You might imagine why Your solution can not be realized - unfortunately
I think you're missing something then, or don't fully understand skinning. How is it that other SE developers are able to make such GUIs and you can't?
Why do others not build such a special machine like mine? Do You know what is working inside? Do you know how much knowledge, effort and time was needed to develop all the stuff. Before You complain about the gui you should think about that. Liking or disliking a gui is a mere matter of taste - but it is not substantial to the heart of the machine.
Personally I own SE but haven't gotten that far into it, but I do know that you can draw a background, which would include all labels etc.
Did You really read and _understand_ my prior answer to You? I don't think so.
and then only have the controls show up as controls over that background (masks tell you what shows through and what shows on top). I mean, clearly it can be done - if you don't know how that's a different matter.
Then have a closer look at SE and draw on the background and THEN swap screen-area over there ... then You'll see yourself.
You can't have a second background from a container - only the control-elements - therefore masks would spoil the screen. And there are several more consequences to be consindered in this context.

Fortune

Return to “AlgoMusic”