BOZ Transgressor 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

How does this compare with Eventide Physion?

Don't have Physion so can't answer that specific question. I did just run through testing a variety of transient shapers recently and I really like Transgressor 2*. It definitely gives some next level shaping. The one that seems closest to Transgressor is LVC Transector. I did not include that in my tests but may take that for a spin to compare while it's on sale.

*Except that it crashes Adobe Audition, like hard crash 75% of the time. Emailed Boz to report the problem. It's probably a bug in both the plugin and the DAW. Audition definitely should have better error handling if a plugin misbehaves. This inspired me to search out a simpler less intensive transient shaper to use in Audition. I settled on NI Transient Master.

calinlacea wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:21 pm How does this compare with Eventide Physion?

Physion to me sounds a bit more transparent in the HF and has a lot more functions on top of being a transient designer (TD). I never used those functions.

Transgressor 2 is much more flexible as a TD and easier for me to use.

This plugin is amazing! Gamechanger in controlling transients and sustains.

But it's based on a fixed threshold? What happens if your source material is dynamic?

imrae wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:07 pm But it's based on a fixed threshold? What happens if your source material is dynamic?
That's a good question. Would be cool to have Auto Threshold function like in Unfiltered Audio Zip compressor, really useful feature

imrae wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:07 pm But it's based on a fixed threshold? What happens if your source material is dynamic?
You can automate the threshold, works smoothly.

For every ghost note or string mute? This is exactly the problem that other transient designers have already solved.

imrae wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:07 am For every ghost note or string mute? This is exactly the problem that other transient designers have already solved.
Is this still the case ? Wondering as it’s on sale atm and wondering if it’s worth buying if I already have Elysia nvelope and the transient filter in neutron.

I don't use Neutron, but I have Elysia nvelope and it can't do many things that Transgressor does.

Scarlet Pumpernickel wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:31 pm I don't use Neutron, but I have Elysia nvelope and it can't do many things that Transgressor does.
Yeah thanks, I'd got the impression that the threshold dial worked against the transient detection, but it actually works to complement it (I had assumed the only behaviour available was the one where the detection is set to 'Hard').

Is there a proper description of this somewhere? The impression I get from https://www.audiopluginguy.com/review-t ... z-digital/ is that "soft" is still level-based, but with a transition region between the attack/sustain sections rather than instant switch.

imrae wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:41 pm Is there a proper description of this somewhere? The impression I get from https://www.audiopluginguy.com/review-t ... z-digital/ is that "soft" is still level-based, but with a transition region between the attack/sustain sections rather than instant switch.
AFAICT it is as follows:

You can set the threshold at the very bottom, in which case you get transient detection behaviour throughout the dynamic range.

You can set the threshold at somewhere above that with the setting of 'Hard' in which case only transients that peak above the threshold will be detected and have the transformation behaviour applied to them.

You can set the threshold at somewhere above that with the setting of 'Soft' in which case transients that peak above the threshold will be detected and have the transformation behaviour applied to them, and transients below the threshold will have a varying amount of the transformation behaviour applied to them depending on how close they are to the peak.

chrisstiles wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:12 pm AFAICT it is as follows:

You can set the threshold at the very bottom, in which case you get transient detection behaviour throughout the dynamic range.
By "transient detection behaviour" do you mean that there is another detection step, or do you mean that everything is equalised/gained according to the red section?

imrae wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:41 am
chrisstiles wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:12 pm AFAICT it is as follows:

By "transient detection behaviour" do you mean that there is another detection step, or do you mean that everything is equalised/gained according to the red section?
Again as far as I can tell from using it; it operates like a normal transient detection plugin, and the transformation behaviour is as defined by the red and the blue sections.

Return to “Effects”