ZynAddSubFX 3.0.0 / Usability Survey

Official support for: zynaddsubfx.sourceforge.net
RELATED
PRODUCTS

HunterKiller wrote:How many sizes will you have, or is this vector resizable?
It is fully resizable.
HunterKiller wrote:And maybe start with the key of C - unless you are intentionally going for something offbeat.
I'll add that to the current list of issues.
One of the developers on the ZynAddSubFX open source synth
The author of the Zyn-Fusion UI for ZynAddSubFX

fundamental wrote:
HunterKiller wrote:And maybe start with the key of C - unless you are intentionally going for something offbeat.
I'll add that to the current list of issues.
It's not a necessity btw, my 88 key controller looks like you've currently got it, starts on an A and ends on a C.
I was just throwing out one of the least important things. Maybe it'll look better on the gui, but I don't care either way. :)
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

Just chiming in to express my support and say I'm very excited. The excessive windows and stability issues are the only things keeping me from using Zyn all the time.

I'd consider paying for it if there were a steep discount for people on the mailing list... :wink:

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Since the synth supports microtonality, what do you think about virtual keyboard with generalized layout (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generalized_keyboard)? When you have 31 notes per octave, 7-5 pattern is not helpful at all.

Hi,

I just downloaded the v 3 demo for Windows (..running it on a Windows 7 Pro 64 bit system) and have to say it is really impressive..kudos to all involved in the project!

Obviously I haven't done much more than mess with a few presets, but it's sounding really good and there's no obviously noticeable bugs as of yet.

If this demo is anything to go by, then I'm sincerely looking forward to making the final release one of my main workhorse synths.

Dan (Solaris65)
Ambient Mechanics

Hi again,

Just a quick follow-up on my last post. Since I made that post, I've found what may or may not be a bug regarding presets in general. I've joined the mailing list and send an email to it about this.

Dan
Ambient Mechanics

Will the OSX version still require Jack?

aMUSEd wrote:Will the OSX version still require Jack?
All OSX builds are currently based off these build scripts:

https://github.com/zynaddsubfx/zyn-build-osx

These scripts currently do enable JACK, so future builds are expected to require JACK.

As a semi-related note the initial 3.0.0 release won't include OSX due to a lack of testers on that platform.
It should be coming out later this year though after testing/packaging has been completed.

Pity, I just can't use Jack, it's so awkward to setup. Still if there's a plugin version I won't need to?

aMUSEd wrote:Pity, I just can't use Jack, it's so awkward to setup. Still if there's a plugin version I won't need to?
While I don't have local access to any OSX machines I was under the impression that the build scripts created a version which required jack to be installed, but I didn't think it required that you used jack. The scripts indicate the portaudio is used which should support normal core-audio on OSX. You should be able to access that in the existing OSX build via the File->Nio menu.

The plugin versions (VST/LV2) should not require jack to be used in any way.

The demo doesn't work on XP SP3 :(
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

Demo is a bit slow gui-wise.
Any time a page is changed a quick cmd.exe console appears e disappears quickly.
Plus...no VST automation no party :clown: :D :oops:

lalo wrote:Any time a page is changed a quick cmd.exe console appears e disappears quickly.
The cmd.exe issue looks like it's easily fixable, so hopefully I have that fixed next time I have access to a testing machine.

The missing midi learn was a total oversight as it's been working in the standalone for quite some time and I didn't think to verify that it worked in VST mode. That will certainly be fixed as automations are an incredibly useful feature.
HunterKiller wrote:The demo doesn't work on XP SP3
At the moment I only have the tools and testing setup to verify that the build works on newer 64bit versions of windows. A later release may end up supporting earlier versions of windows, but it is unclear when the resources will be available for that additional port.

fundamental wrote:
lalo wrote:Any time a page is changed a quick cmd.exe console appears e disappears quickly.
The cmd.exe issue looks like it's easily fixable, so hopefully I have that fixed next time I have access to a testing machine.

The missing midi learn was a total oversight as it's been working in the standalone for quite some time and I didn't think to verify that it worked in VST mode. That will certainly be fixed as automations are an incredibly useful feature.
Please add VST automation, not just midi learn.

fundamental wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:Pity, I just can't use Jack, it's so awkward to setup. Still if there's a plugin version I won't need to?
While I don't have local access to any OSX machines I was under the impression that the build scripts created a version which required jack to be installed, but I didn't think it required that you used jack. The scripts indicate the portaudio is used which should support normal core-audio on OSX. You should be able to access that in the existing OSX build via the File->Nio menu.
OK I tried that but it just gives options for Jack, PA (don't know what that is) or Null - nothing for Core audio in the build I have:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/zynadd ... p_redirect

Midi settings also only give me Jack or Null - no core midi either. It plays a sound when I mouse on keys but doesn't respond to midi

(plus comes with a bunch of weird files in the 'VST' folder that I have no idea what to do with but they aren't VSTs).

btw how do you give it that nice dark skin from the screenshots?

Return to “ZynAddSubFX”