Tracktion Linux FAQ

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It runs on funtoo with gentoo-sources and pf-sources 64-bit kernels.
linux

Hi Vel

Thanks for your suggestions! I have just made a couple of changes to the FAQ as a result.

This FAQ is intended to be pretty specific to Tracktion so it doesn't make much sense to me to go into any great detail with regards to Linux audio hardware compatibility as there are other resources for that. I have added a new question with an answer that points people to the relevant ALSA and FFADO pages.

As for distribution compatibility I'm sure you're aware that, although there are only a few popular ones, there are literally 1000's of Linux distributions so I think it would be a waste of time and space to list every (in)compatible Linux distro so I have decided to strip it down to the bare minimum required info ie
Tracktion for Linux is currently built under and packaged for Ubuntu 12.04 amd64. Ubuntu 12.04 uses glibc 2.15 so you should be able to run Tracktion so long as you are running a 64-bit Intel/AMD Linux distribution that uses glibc 2.15 or later.
Thanks for making this thread sticky TSC!

Hi Danboid

I have a question regarding Jack in Tracktion 5.
Selecting Jack as 'audio device type' works well for me,
but doesn't seem to sync with other external jack programs.

Is there a setting I am missing? Can you set Tracktion as the Jack master?
Would love to sync to programs like hydrogen.
Using Ubuntu Gnome edition (14.04.1) with KXStudio.

Thanks for clearing up some other questions I had. T5 is great.
I too would happily buy this if it became non-free and was the
same price as the other versions.

Regards
Rolf

Hi famouswolf, did you check the connections in patchbays like carla or claudia ? you should see Tracktion and the other external programs there.
You can't always get what you waaaant...

Hi Stanlea

Thanks for your reply.
I did see Tracktion in Patchage. I could connect Tracktion to other programs.
What I meant was if I click the play button in T5 (or hit space), hydrogen and
other sequencers didn't play as well. If I hit play in one of the other softwares,
they are Jack sync'ed and will all play simultaneously but Tracktion wouldn't
start playing with them.
Hope I made sense.
Thanks for your help

Regards
Rolf

Hi famouswolf

You're asking if Tracktion supports JACK transport but as far as I'm aware it does not.

I would like to see improved support for JACK in future Tracktion releases including JACK transport and the ability to create new Tracktion JACK IO ports/busses and route tracks to and from them.

Hi Danboid

Thanks. Would have been very nice to sync with hydrogen for drums.
Guess I will have to use a sampler rack and load sampled drums manually,
or maybe find a good sfz or gig to use with linuxsampler.

Thanks for the help
Regards
Rolf

FAQ updated
Q. Does Tracktion support JACK Transport?

There is currently no support for syncing Tracktion with other JACK clients via JACK Transport.

JACK Transport isn't a Linux-specific technology but its a feature that many Linux audio users desire so that's why I added it.

Good news BTW - we will be adding Elastique Pro V3 to the Linux version soon :)
Tracktion Software Corporation

:o :o

Does that mean that zplane is porting their libs to linux ?

While on board, I have a question : can we load a given Tracktion project on any platform (Mac/Windows/Linux) without too much trouble ? I know it's a bit a dumb question because the plugins are not the same from a platform to another but it could be possible if Tracktion deactive plugs that it can't handle.

Yes - zPlane has got a Linux version running, and yes, there should be full interchangeability of sessions between OS versions :)
Tracktion Software Corporation

Thanks for the update TSC!

I've just updated the FAQ with the Elastique news.

I've just updated the FAQ again to partly answer stanlea's question about project portability but I feel the answer is incomplete and this is something I've been wondering about myself.

Do the Windows and OSX builds have support for LADSPA plugins? If so, I'll modify my answer to say that people are safe to presume that projects using LADSPA plugins will also open on all platforms provided that the correct plugins are present, as is the case for VST.

I'd imagine projects will open anyway, regardless of missing plugins but when I refer to project portability I mean the full project being able to be replayed and edited without any omissions.

Also, what about the corner case of if I had created a Tracktion project on a Mac using, for example, Loomers plugins in the AU format. I don't suppose that if I had the same plugins installed as VSTs under Linux or Windows that Tracktion would be clever enough to be able to open such a project whilst converting the AU plugin data to their VST equivalents? Sounds like far-fetched voodoo to me but I just wanted to check! :)

I'd like to think that TSC, Bitwig, Uhe and zplane are just the beginning of an accelerating trend of music software vendors supporting Linux. Wouldn't that be great?

Return to “Tracktion”