using ssd drives

RELATED
PRODUCTS

TiUser wrote:
"...the worst drives with just a 10,000 write limit..."

I've found about 1.000 write cycles (yes no typo here) for worse ssd's and 10.000 for the very best (enterprise/server farm models) so far.
My bad; you are right! I use flash devices all the time in my work, and did not realize the technology used in SSDs have a much shorter life cycle than EEPROMS. 1.000 cycles is scary short! Do this test to see if it is an issue: open up task manager, and then resource monitor. On the disk tab there is a list showing all the disk writing processes. Keep it up there as you work. On my system it shows an average of 0,75MB/s. If I work on the laptop for 12 hours/day, that's about 12TB of data per year. On a 128GB SSD (bought in the past 3 years, so controller integrates wear leveling at firmware level, OS independent) and one of worst (but as you've taught me, most modern) 1.000 write to failure disks, that's a bit over 10 years of use. Although my mechanical analyses stress it more (generating perhaps 10TB of data total over the 4 year time I've alotted for the system), that would drop it down to about a 9 year expected lifespan for me, and still longer than the time I expect to use the system.

So, if you're using it as a system drive, you'll replace the system first before the decade of use given the data writes I encounter on my system. If your using it as an external sample drive, you'll expect it to last a lot longer than a decade...and it will without the constant OS writes.
TiUser wrote:"...your fear of SSD is misplaced..."
I am not really afraid of ssd's... I just want to know what to expect. I don't like guesswork and prefer to decide on more solid facts.
Me too! Plus individual reports from people in the field. I should have said "mistrust" instead of "fear".

I use Cantabile live and I did install a SSD (Intel 520 Series 128GB) in my laptop a year ago. No problem so far.

Return to “Topten Software”