How can a DAW call "processDoubleReplacing()" ?

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

AdmiralQuality wrote:
valhallasound wrote:32 bit floats sound warmer.

Sean Costello
Only through oxygen free copper cables. :hihi:
I'm writting a 64-bit plugin that accuratly reproduces the distintive warmth of that (soon to be) vintage 32-bit sound.

well, stop dithering & get it released!

AdmiralQuality wrote:
valhallasound wrote:32 bit floats sound warmer.

Sean Costello
Only through oxygen free copper cables. :hihi:
Well, it all depends on the hard drive you're using to store your tracks and/or plugins... external hard drives sound cold and sterile, IMHO.

:P

duncanparsons wrote:well, stop dithering & get it released!
You should only use dithering when mixing to 128 bit. :help:

Trying to make Ableton Live call processDoubleReplacing but it never gets called. I have called canDoubleReplacing() in the constructor as well as setProcessingPrecision but nothing. It works in Reaper though.

Does anyone has a clue? Thanks!

sinosoidal wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:21 pm Does anyone has a clue? Thanks!
Yeah, hints are on page 1 of this thread, the first few replies are still correct after a decade.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:34 pm
Yeah, hints are on page 1 of this thread, the first few replies are still correct after a decade.
Yeah, I have seen those. I wonder why Ableton Live does not process at 64 bit then when Reaper does. Does anyone knows if Ableton Live is still processing a VST plugins at 32 bit only in 2023?

sinosoidal wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:15 pm
BertKoor wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:34 pm
Yeah, I have seen those. I wonder why Ableton Live does not process at 64 bit then when Reaper does. Does anyone knows if Ableton Live is still processing a VST plugins at 32 bit only in 2023?
According to the fact sheet on their website, most of the audio engine is still 32 bit.

https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/audio-fact-sheet/
Please note that, while 64-bit summing is applied to each single mix point, Live‘s internal processing is still done at 32-bit. Thus, signals that are mixed across multiple summing points may still result in an extremely small amount of signal degradation. This combination of 64-bit summing within a 32-bit architecture strikes an ideal balance between audio quality and CPU/memory consumption.

sinosoidal wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:15 pm Yeah, I have seen those. I wonder why Ableton Live does not process at 64 bit then when Reaper does. Does anyone knows if Ableton Live is still processing a VST plugins at 32 bit only in 2023?
Perhaps Live is processing (or at least moving around) signals in single-precision internally. If this is the case, then even if the plugin supports 64-bits, how should Live know that this is automatically better? Perhaps the plugin works just as well in singles? Perhaps it exposes a double precision interface, but converts internally to singles anyway. Perhaps it converts single precision to doubles internally too, but does it really matter if it's the host or the plugin doing the conversion?

The plugin knows whether singles vs. doubles matters and the plugin knows what it prefers to do internally. Perhaps it matters for the plugin, perhaps it doesn't. When you think about it this way, it makes a whole lot of sense for the host to always prefer whatever format it already has and only ever bother converting if it needs to.

As far as simply transporting signals around, double-precision serves no purpose other than avoiding pointless conversions if both sides want to process in doubles.

FigBug wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:53 pm
Please note that, while 64-bit summing is applied to each single mix point, Live‘s internal processing is still done at 32-bit. Thus, signals that are mixed across multiple summing points may still result in an extremely small amount of signal degradation. This combination of 64-bit summing within a 32-bit architecture strikes an ideal balance between audio quality and CPU/memory consumption.
This is ridiculous btw.. summing alone doesn't benefit from double precision at all.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”