Making free samples available...

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hollowsun wrote: And in response to using torrents, I wouldn't know - I don't have the first clue about them or how to use them and neither, I suspect, do a lot of other people .... other than illegal software, music and films go on them, they are dog slow and littered with false links to dodgy pron sites - I am told ... I really don't have the first clue about them. That doesn't sound like a good delivery method for making sounds available to people.
Steve, while illegal software, music and files can be found in torrents, there can also be perfectly legal material as well (see legaltorrents.com and any of the torrents for linux live-cds. Heck, even NASA allegedly uses the bittorrent protocol). I guess the same could be said of any other protocol out there, including dominant http!

Regarding torrents being dog slow, that is entirely dependent on the amount of 'seeds' (people with the full files) and 'leechers' (people who are currently downloading the files).
Basically, if there are more seeds than leechers, the speeds can be quite fast. And vice versa, the speeds can be very slow if there's say 2 seeds and 34 leechers.

One other thing, It's wrong to assume that all 'torrents' (It's actually some sites that host torrents) have dodgy links to pr0n etc.

My 2 cents.

Andrew.

IMO, it's a great way for sharing large files between multiple users, as the files aren't downloaded sequentially, so a bit of data that person 1 has can give his bit to person 2 who's missing that bit and vice versa.

androidlove wrote:
hollowsun wrote:androidlove failed so spectacularly to realise
yea, how could i miss that in your huge repetitive "don't do it" ramble? :dog:
Point me to one instance where I said "don't do it"!

I explained why the problem occurs for those who maybe don't know about the importance of bandwidth and data transfer limits and that apart from using some free filesharing service (which can be an annoying user experience), anyone wishing to make free samples available in a convenient, reliable manner will have to pay for reliable, high capacity bandwidth.

It was actually an attempt to help people thinking of making free samples available so that they can avoid the pitfalls many experience in their enthusiasm to altruistically share samples with the community and was prompted after helping someone via PM and suggesting some solutions to him about the very same issue - I thought it might make a good 'sticky'. That is all. It's disappointing you interpreted it differently!

Cheers,

Steve

From the Dropbox help pages:
There are currently no hard limits on public bandwidth usage. We do, however, have an automated system for detecting and flagging unusual amounts of bandwidth usage. We will send an email notification whenever an account is flagged. Once flagged, public links will be temporarily disabled and users who use the links will see an error page instead of your file.

If you think you've been inappropriately flagged, contact Product Support.

https://www.dropbox.com/help/45
Last edited by marce on Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Count_fuzzball wrote:Steve, while illegal software, music and files can be found in torrents, there can also be perfectly legal material as well
I wasn't doubting the validity of the legal use of torrents, just stating the common perception of them.

Which in itself could be off-putting to would-be downloaders of some altruist's endeavours ... "Get my new free XYZ samples at this torrent". Apart from the perception of "Uh-oh! Torrent? Dodgy!", I wouldn't know where to start!! :?

Cheers,

Steve

marce wrote:From the Dropbox help pages:
We do, however, have an automated system for detecting and flagging unusual amounts of bandwidth usage....
And I would imagine that Dropbox detecting hundreds of people suddenly downloading large amounts of sample data would be flagged as 'unusual'!

Cheers,

Steve

marce wrote:From the Dropbox help pages:
There are currently no hard limits on public bandwidth usage. We do, however, have an automated system for detecting and flagging unusual amounts of bandwidth usage. We will send an email notification whenever an account is flagged. Once flagged, public links will be temporarily disabled and users who use the links will see an error page instead of your file.

If you think you've been inappropriately flagged, contact Product Support.
that's the absolute worst kind of t&c. roughly translated that means "we won't tell you what you are allowed to use so that you can plan, we'll just cut you off if we make an arbitary decision, then we won't reinstate your links till you've spoke to us at length"

unusual amounts of bandwidth is exactly what we you will be using if you're hosting samples.

the amount of shite hidden in t&c's is astounding. i'm investigating proper hosting for my samples at the moment and i keep thinking i've found a decent hosting package for reasonable money, before i find conditions hidden deep in the fine print.

it was steve's pm to me that prompted him to post this and he's right, the simple fact is that if you wan't to give a away free samples, you are going to end up paying big money for reliable hosting.

the torrent thing is a nice idea in principle but is, in my opinion, unsatisfactory in reality.

i will find a solution soon that doesn't a) cost me a fortune or b) fail to deliver but in the meantime i'm stuck using the freebies, which again is pretty unsatisfactory.

cheers,

steve.

hollowsun wrote:
Count_fuzzball wrote:Steve, while illegal software, music and files can be found in torrents, there can also be perfectly legal material as well
I wasn't doubting the validity of the legal use of torrents, just stating the common perception of them.

Which in itself could be off-putting to would-be downloaders of some altruist's endeavours ... "Get my new free XYZ samples at this torrent". Apart from the perception of "Uh-oh! Torrent? Dodgy!", I wouldn't know where to start!! :?

Cheers,

Steve
+1 i don't get the whole thing and the word 'Torrent' 'Seed' and especially 'Leech' are dirty words as far as im concerned. Its AFAIK for crack heads, inferior quality album downloads oppose to paying for a CD, shit quality videos shoehorned into smaller sizes again compromising quality. Maybe there is some merit to using the 'Torrent' thing but unless it becomes the only way to buy/purchase stuff online as download only then i ain't touching it with a barge pole

My £0.02

Dean/Nekro

blaster78 wrote:the simple fact is that if you wan't to give a away free samples, you are going to end up paying big money for reliable hosting.
Too true. I just checked my site traffic, and 11 days into the month I've already used more than half of my allocated free bandwidth. I can add unlimited bandwidth to my current package for $9.99 a month, but without more donations there's no way I'm doing that. I've had 2 donations this year, totalling $25 ...

NEKRO.MACHINE wrote: Its AFAIK for crack heads, inferior quality album downloads oppose to paying for a CD, shit quality videos shoehorned into smaller sizes again compromising quality.
Inferior quality? What about FLAC :P

thecontrolcentre wrote:
blaster78 wrote:the simple fact is that if you wan't to give a away free samples, you are going to end up paying big money for reliable hosting.
Too true. I just checked my site traffic, and 11 days into the month I've already used more than half of my allocated free bandwidth. I can add unlimited bandwidth to my current package for $9.99 a month, but without more donations there's no way I'm doing that. I've had 2 donations this year, totalling $25 ...
And in those words is the reality of the situation!

And controlcentre, really look at the T&C small print for the definition of 'unlimited' with your web hoster - it may well not be. Unlimited in that a few compressed .MOVs or .AVIs of your holiday or your daughter's first birthday on your little vanity site for your friends and relatives to view is one thing and those may not have a practical limit imposed but hundreds of people downloading hundreds of MBs of sample data...?!

And unless you pay serious money for a dedicated server, your data will be on a server shared with others and the data transfer bandwidth will be shared and there WILL be a cap on your bandwidth. In practical terms, however, for most sites sharing a server, this won't normally be a problem - just people browsing sites with the usual complement of text and images and it all kind of balances out and, under normal web browsing circumstances, it is, to all intents and purposes, 'unlimited' and uninterrupted and your site (and the other sites shared on the server) probably won't have a problem.

But slam a few hundred MB of heavy duty samples up there on your site to be downloaded by hundreds (or more) people and I think you'll find yourself capped/shut down!

Cheers,

Steve

DragonSagoth wrote:
NEKRO.MACHINE wrote: Its AFAIK for crack heads, inferior quality album downloads oppose to paying for a CD, shit quality videos shoehorned into smaller sizes again compromising quality.
Still missing an actual screen printed CD, Jewel Case or Digipack along with all the artwork and sleeve notes...etc. Its not physical and im sticking with CD's ;) but if iTunes started offering FLAC then i would not think of the whole thing as such a joke and being raped, how the hell they sell that craply encoded muck is beyond me... :-o

RunBeerRun wrote:I'm more concerned w/mediocre samples...
But the 'quality' of what people choose to make available for free is another issue.

And 'quality' is very subjective anyway and what might sound loathsome to you might be another's inspiration and vice versa!

Cheers,

Steve

NEKRO.MACHINE wrote:
DragonSagoth wrote:
Still missing an actual screen printed CD, Jewel Case or Digipack along with all the artwork and sleeve notes...etc. Its not physical and im sticking with CD's ;) but if iTunes started offering FLAC then i would not think of the whole thing as such a joke and being raped, how the hell they sell that craply encoded muck is beyond me... :-o
True that. I just commented on "inferior quality", not the rest of the kit ;)

NEKRO.MACHINE wrote:
hollowsun wrote:

Cheers,

Steve
+1 i don't get the whole thing and the word 'Torrent' 'Seed' and especially 'Leech' are dirty words as far as im concerned. Its AFAIK for crack heads, inferior quality album downloads oppose to paying for a CD, shit quality videos shoehorned into smaller sizes again compromising quality. Maybe there is some merit to using the 'Torrent' thing but unless it becomes the only way to buy/purchase stuff online as download only then i ain't touching it with a barge pole

My £0.02

Dean/Nekro
I've seen large and completely reputable audio companies use torrents before to share demos of their software. Also, it's a HUGE thing with Linux distributions. I think most Linux distros offer torrents as a way of getting the distro.

Torrents have a bad name because of ONE use of them, but in reality, they are a very legit way to share files that is used all over the place for good reasons.

Brent
My host is better than your host

hollowsun wrote:look at the T&C small print for the definition of 'unlimited' with your web hoster - it may well not be.
The big print says "Disk Space - Unlimited! Monthly Data Transfer - Unlimited! The small print however ...
Doteasy wrote:Disk and Bandwidth Usage

What do you mean by "unlimited" disk space and bandwidth?

We want you to have a successful online presence so Doteasy.com does not set an arbitrary limit or cap on the amount of resources you can use. We believe your website(s) should not be constrained by arbitrary quotas on disk space, bandwidth, or even e-mail. The Doteasy Unlimited Hosting Plans are designed with small to medium, independently owned and operated businesses and/or personal websites in mind. For these customers, the Doteasy Unlimited Hosting Plans are unlimited.
What's not allowed in "Unlimited"?

Doteasy "Unlimited" Hosting Plans are provisioned in a shared hosting environment, which means a number of customers' accounts are hosted on the same server. To help ensure optimal services for all our customers, we do required you to be fully compliant with our Terms and Conditions and utilize disk space and bandwidth related to the normal operation of a normal personal or small to medium business website. Our "Unlimited" plans are not intended to support the greater web hosting needs of large enterprises or act as an online storage warehouse and/or media file streaming/sharing hub.

For specific examples of things not allowed please view:
http://www.doteasy.com/Terms/index.cfm?T=TAC#5b
What will happen if we go beyond normal usage?

For those who exceed the usage of a normal personal or small/medium-business website, we may need to put constraints on account to prevent the adverse affects on other customers' accounts. These accounts will be will be flagged by Doteasy Administrators and anti-abuse controls. Clients will then be asked to consider a Virtual Private Server (VPS) or Dedicated Server services provided by Doteasy.
Doteasy wrote:5. Definition of Unlimited Usage

What "Unlimited" means. Doteasy does not set an arbitrary limit on the amount of resources an account can use. The Doteasy Unlimited Hosting Plan is designed to serve the web hosting needs of small to medium, independently owned and operated businesses and/or personal websites. For these customers, the Doteasy Unlimited Hosting plan is unlimited.

What "Unlimited" DOES NOT mean. The accounts are not intended to support the greater web hosting needs of large enterprises or to be used as an online storage warehouse to store: backups, archiving of electronic files or emails, documents, log files, etc. or used as media file streaming/sharing hub.

Reselling any of the "Unlimited" accounts' resources is strictly prohibited. Any accounts found to be reselling resources will immediately be suspended with or without notice. Reselling of account resources is permitted only if you are using a Reseller Hosting Plan, a Virtual Private Server (VPS) or Dedicated Server.

Doteasy "Unlimited" services are provisioned in a shared hosting environment; Any account found to be adversely affect the performance of other customers' accounts by excessively using network bandwidth, server storage, memory and CPU resources, will be flagged by Doteasy administrators and anti-abuse controls. Clients will then be asked to consider a Virtual Private Server (VPS) or Dedicated Server services. Serious offenses will result in the account service suspension or termination, with or without notice.
:?

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”