Autolinks : distracting, really not doing anything useful.

Any problems with the site? How can we improve KVR?
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

vurt wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:01 pm
Hink wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:59 pm
vurt wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:54 pm thats what makes this exciting!
rarely is it the product you expect!!!

ive just ended up ordering a penis pump after a link from sausage fattener!!!
you always land on yer feet :? :hihi:
well im hoping inflating it, it will float, then ill stop tripping on it.
see...see...on yer feet again, now you can blow up your own johnson too :x :x :x you lucky dog :lol:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

So someone today was writing "Guitar Center" and "Center" is autolinked to a Waves plug-in. :dog: Is it really that hard to realise what an absolutely f**king crap this is? Ben?! Someone at home there?

Even IF it would work somehow, it'd still be highly annoying stumbling upon links every other word. KVR seems to be going down the drain fast these days - redesign a couple of years ago was only the first step...
The hole is deeper than the hum of its farts

... another post mentioning "Fluid" nearfield monitors autolinking to a TubeOhm plug-in. :dog:

STOP! IT! NOW!

... a post talking about a "Unique synth..." (hardware) autolinking to a Sugar Bytes plug-in. :dog:

... AAS String Studio - autolinking to "String" by Loomer. :dog:

How long have we this now? Should be enough to recognise it doesn't work. Label it as nice try and catastrophic outcome switch it off and move on...
Or are we mice in AI testing/training scenario? Even if it would find correct links I would not want to have it!

wondering how this might effect using links like this
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

You know what subforum auto link might actually make sense in is the Marketplace. That way potential buyers would always have a link to the product and sellers don't have to worry about adding links.

But that would only be useful if the links were always correct.

Otherwise the auto links tend to be inaccurate and annoying in the general forums.

I think the auto link concept might not be so bad if properly implemented but it's a bit of a mess as of now.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

/is at peace with the autolinks :angel:
suggests mobiles ;)

Teksonik wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:23 pm You know what subforum auto link might actually make sense in is the Marketplace. That way potential buyers would always have a link to the product and sellers don't have to worry about adding links.

But that would only be useful if the links were always correct.

Otherwise the auto links tend to be inaccurate and annoying in the general forums.

I think the auto link concept might not be so bad if properly implemented but it's a bit of a mess as of now.
Yeah, but since they are as far from accurate and "always correct" as is machinely possible I'd say just get rid of them.
In the marketplace, people should link to stuff themselves - and I'm not sure the best link is to the KVR database in that case either, usually a link to the dev page itself makes more sense.
And on the marketplace those wrong links would be even worse and more confusing than they are everywhere else...

Nah, let humans do the linking and the machine care for the webserver, it does that well.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

ThomasHelzle wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:45 pm and I'm not sure the best link is to the KVR database in that case either, usually a link to the dev page itself makes more sense.
Well the KVR links give less biased user reviews, links to product videos, copy protection method, and a wealth of other information and of course the link to the developer's site.

To me the only place the auto links make sense would be the marketplace subforum. Obviously it's possible to exclude individual subforums from the auto link function.

Looks like the auto links aren't going away despite our protestations so I guess we just learn to ignore them. :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

And the idiocy continues...

... "Master..." (as in e.g. master fader) autolinking to a plug-in by Ourafilmes. :dog:
... ADSR (generic envelope) autolinking to the company ADSR. :dog:
... DX-Diamond DX7 preset - "Diamond" autolinking to diamondmm.com. :dog:

... "envelope Slow Attack Slow Release..." - "Slow" autolinking to a compressor by Noisebud. :dog:

This one also highlights another problem: with multiple mentions, every single one is being converted to a link - here FOUR times in a single sentence. That's pure madness!

Teksonik wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:14 pm
ThomasHelzle wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:45 pm and I'm not sure the best link is to the KVR database in that case either, usually a link to the dev page itself makes more sense.
Well the KVR links give less biased user reviews, links to product videos, copy protection method, and a wealth of other information and of course the link to the developer's site.

To me the only place the auto links make sense would be the marketplace subforum. Obviously it's possible to exclude individual subforums from the auto link function.

Looks like the auto links aren't going away despite our protestations so I guess we just learn to ignore them. :shrug:
No, sorry, no disrespect meant to you personally, but these autolinks are the purest crap ever invented, they make no sense in ANY forum whatsoever since they rely on search and replace of words, not on any meaningful interpretation, so like many here show, they are extremely misleading, since more often than not they point to something totally different than is talked about.
And we'll go on complaining and showing how utterly stupid they are until they are removed again.

I personally am not as fond as you of the KVR database or the user reviews (I find them very biased most of the time and stopped reading them) and simply think it should be left to the writer of a post to decide what he thinks is valuable for the point he tries to make, or the item he want's to sell or whatnot.

You do not want some demented machine function editing a letter to your mom, do you?
Putting in links to stuff you have absolutely no control over?

And the solution is NOT to somehow colour those links differently or make them otherwise look different from normal human generated links. They are just a total waste of everybody's life time.

It was a test, it failed miserably, now let's take them out again and move on.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

It seems more like they hired some three years old dev, or something similar, to mess things up like no other could mess up before, apparently.

Return to “Site Stuff”