Engineering (Not Mastering)...

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Audioflux1 wrote:Well, as much as I appreciate your vote of confidence, Cypher, I still listen to other artists' breakbeat records and then compare them to ours and think "why doesn't our track sound this professional". Even against your tracks, I don't think our stuff sounds as professional. Maybe it's just because we have so much more going on than most other breaks. I still think our stuff would stick out like a sore thumb in a DJ set. Oh, I guess I should mention goal number one is to get some vinyl pressed.

By the way, have you shopped any of your stuff around to labels? I know quite a few DJs who would buy your stuff in a second.
Okay this is interesting to me. I have to admit that I have only heard one of your tracks but I have listened to it loads and still sit there in awe of it.

It strikes me that you may be over-exposed to your own tracks (and me too), I mean how many times will you listen to a track whilst writing it, mixing it, mastering it etc.

I think that's what happens to me, I listen too much and either over work it or admit defeat in the sense that I don't know how to improve it (not meaning that it doesn't need improving).

The other point I want to make is that people approach things differently, which is probably why I can be gobsmacked by someone's work and think 'how the hell did they do that?'

Which leads on to whether I've sent any of my work anywhere, the answer's no, I'm not good enough (IMO), which ties into your comment in the other thread "it's never good enough". The other thing I've noticed is that people's expectations raise the more work you put out, I think my most recent stuff has been my best, yet it seems to get a more negative response from people.

Music is a funny old game really...

Well, selection is pretty limited in Phoenix when it comes to producers of electronic music. I do think he's making great strides on our newer stuff. He's since gotten a Yamaha electronic kit (his background is from being a rock drummer for a number of years) and I've gotten him into using VSTis for drums. Excess and Sickness were both done with nothing more than ReDrum for percussion. I think now that I have him sequencing drums in the Cubase drum editor and plugging into things like Battery 2 and fiddling with Stylus RMX and MicroTonic, he'll definitely improve. Are your complaints more directed at the drum sequences or choice of drum samples? I, personally think the samples need more work than the sequences save for a bit more variation in the patterns.
Core i9-7940X | Asus Prime X299-A | 64GB DDR4-3200 | Samsung 950 Pro 2TB Sys, 860 Evo 4TB Data | Steinberg UR824 & CC121 | Virus TI Desktop | Roli Seabord Rise 2 | Nektar Panorama P6 | Nektar Aura | Roland VG-99 | Win10 Pro x64 | Cubase Pro 12

the only criticism I can make of Excess Bandwidth is that damn kickdrum... :wink:

CypherOne wrote:
Audioflux1 wrote:Well, as much as I appreciate your vote of confidence, Cypher, I still listen to other artists' breakbeat records and then compare them to ours and think "why doesn't our track sound this professional". Even against your tracks, I don't think our stuff sounds as professional. Maybe it's just because we have so much more going on than most other breaks. I still think our stuff would stick out like a sore thumb in a DJ set. Oh, I guess I should mention goal number one is to get some vinyl pressed.

By the way, have you shopped any of your stuff around to labels? I know quite a few DJs who would buy your stuff in a second.
Okay this is interesting to me. I have to admit that I have only heard one of your tracks but I have listened to it loads and still sit there in awe of it.

It strikes me that you may be over-exposed to your own tracks (and me too), I mean how many times will you listen to a track whilst writing it, mixing it, mastering it etc.

I think that's what happens to me, I listen too much and either over work it or admit defeat in the sense that I don't know how to improve it (not meaning that it doesn't need improving).

The other point I want to make is that people approach things differently, which is probably why I can be gobsmacked by someone's work and think 'how the hell did they do that?'

Which leads on to whether I've sent any of my work anywhere, the answer's no, I'm not good enough (IMO), which ties into your comment in the other thread "it's never good enough". The other thing I've noticed is that people's expectations raise the more work you put out, I think my most recent stuff has been my best, yet it seems to get a more negative response from people.

Music is a funny old game really...
Yep, you hit the nail on the head there, I've heard both of those tracks way too many times by now. I'm always saying to myself "yeah, this is good, but how can I make it better?". Maybe bmanic is on to something. Maybe you should start writing percussion and atmospheric parts for me to lay melodies over. I must say, I very much like the grooves you assemble. I've told you before, I would just make the synth parts bigger.
Core i9-7940X | Asus Prime X299-A | 64GB DDR4-3200 | Samsung 950 Pro 2TB Sys, 860 Evo 4TB Data | Steinberg UR824 & CC121 | Virus TI Desktop | Roli Seabord Rise 2 | Nektar Panorama P6 | Nektar Aura | Roland VG-99 | Win10 Pro x64 | Cubase Pro 12

CypherOne wrote:the only criticism I can make of Excess Bandwidth is that damn kickdrum... :wink:
You know what's weird? It sounds bad everywhere except in our studio. Maybe I have that 15 cranked up too high...

Oh, and while we're at it, we should get R0zzer in on it too. That would be some of the most disgusting breakbeats anyone has ever heard. Crush everyone's face!

I could well be up for a collab. As I've said to all those I've worked with before, I would only do it in the spirit of learning, i.e. you tell/show me what you did (usually midi files etc) and vice versa.

I'll pm you in the next few days maybe to kick things off?

The other thing I'm really trying to do is slow down and take my time over my tracks and get over the feeling that I must finish it. I'm trying to get to the stage where I've got a few projects on the go so I can work on a particular one when the mood takes me or I get a good idea..

BTW, I don't want to put your other drummer out of work... :lol: It would be cool to work with both of you...

CypherOne wrote:BTW, I don't want to put your other drummer out of work... :lol: It would be cool to work with both of you...
Maybe get him to do some of his more ethnic percussion work. He writes some cool stuff with tablas, bongos, congas, etc...

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”