KORG Collection 5 with ARP 2600 Emulation coming Summer 2024

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

mholloway wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 4:18 pm
AdvancedFollower wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 7:40 am
It's bizarre and makes no sense. First Korg license the MS-20 to Arturia, then they create 2 new instruments for their own collection that aren't even Korgs, and which were already in the Arturia V-Collection.

This means you need the V-Collection for the best MS-20 emulation, but the Korg collection for the best Arp 2600 (the one in Arturia's collection is a bit outdated).
I think you're forgetting that Korg own ARP. They already made an Odyssey, making a 2600 next makes perfect sense...predictable, even.

As for the MS-20, yeah, that was an odd choice.
While this is true, it's not like Korg have run out of actual Korg-branded synths and keyboards to include in their KORG Collection.

I'm almost wondering whether Korg initially intended to license the 2600 to Arturia as a replacement for the outdated version included in V-Collection, but the deal somehow fell through in the last minute and now they're releasing it instead. That would explain why Arturia had to include so many filler plugins in their latest update to V-Collection.

Both Arturia and Korg's recent updates to their collections suck. These were meant to be collections of vintage synth emulations whether digital or analog. But what has Augmented to do with vintage synths? They rebranded, and many have fallen for it, while those of us who see through the BS no longer see the point of spending hundreds on updates and now question years of loyally updating.
<list your stupid gear here>

AdvancedFollower wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 1:30 pm I'm almost wondering whether Korg initially intended to license the 2600 to Arturia as a replacement for the outdated version included in V-Collection, but the deal somehow fell through in the last minute and now they're releasing it instead. That would explain why Arturia had to include so many filler plugins in their latest update to V-Collection.
I doubt it, Arturia does a far better job than Korg on Analog reproductions just compare MS20s for an example

And Arturia wouldn't need to license anything to be update the 2600 they could just do it

I do think if Arturia could license anything at this point it would be the Triton or the M1. One thing Arturia is missing from the V collection is a Rompler with a decent sample library

M1 or Triton would give them that.

Having said that I still think getting the old E-MU Proteus Library from Creative Labs and bringing back Emulator X from the dead would probably be cheaper and easier since Creative seems to not care about it at all

egbert101 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 2:17 pm Both Arturia and Korg's recent updates to their collections suck. These were meant to be collections of vintage synth emulations whether digital or analog. But what has Augmented to do with vintage synths? They rebranded, and many have fallen for it, while those of us who see through the BS no longer see the point of spending hundreds on updates and now question years of loyally updating.
Well I am still on version 9 and didn't upgrade to X. You still get updates to all the existing products and vintage Synths

Totally agree about how especially Arturia X is a weak lame upgrade and it seems like the new Korg Collection is also, so happy to sit both out

If Arturia were to have a big blow out Black Friday Sale for X, I might be tempted to bite, but Korg would practically have to give away Collection 5 as I don't really care about the organs or the EP engine and the 2600 is not very compelling especially as as soon as I got it, Arturia will come out with a Collection 11 which updates theirs

Way to do a comparison... use the only outlier, The MS20

There is no Arturia analog reproduction that I actually like (though I accept their MS20 is better than Korgs).
Korg's MonoPoly, and especially the Odyssey and MiniKorg are excellent analog repros in my opinion.

Their older ones, the MS-20, PolySix, done in 2004 with some 'enhancements' since then can do a reboot though I agree.

rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 3:31 pm Way to do a comparison... use the only outlier, The MS20
The MS20 is the only one you can do a head to head comparison on

Yes but one is from 2004 vs one from 2023?
I would surely hope the one done almost 20 years later would do a better job.

rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 4:18 pm Yes but one is from 2004 vs one from 2023?
I would surely hope the one done almost 20 years later would do a better job.

rsp
The very fact Korg is selling a 20 year old plugin tells you everything you need to know about the quality of their instruments

But beyond that Korg themselves claims they have updated it

"While the MS-20 V2 in this KORG Collection has been based on the software-emulated MS-20 from 2004, it has been refined for modern production environments. In addition to the often-requested high-resolution and scalable interface, we have added two new multi-effects. All of the analog sounds and behaviors are realistically reproduced by CMT, KORG’s proprietary electronic Circuit Modeling Technology, and this latest software gives you the powerful sound that only the MS-20 can deliver."

https://www.korg.com/us/products/software/kc_ms_20/

So it's not the 20 year old program unless Korg is lying in which case that tells you even more about the quality of not just their instruments but their business practices

yeah they changed the browser, the gui, added effects, but the audio engine is the same.
I have had it from day one.

Korg is not the only one selling plugins developed almost 20 years ago, Zebra 2 for instance, came out 2006 whouth has had many revision and additional features, but the audio engine started in 2006.
Sylenth is also around 2007/2008 I believe.

Though different instruments, compare arturia most recent synths to Korg's arp odyssey and the miniKorg.

For me it isn't even close.

rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 3:31 pm Korg's MonoPoly, and especially the Odyssey and MiniKorg are excellent analog repros in my opinion.
+1. I have no idea how accurate it is (I've never used a real one), but the MiniKorg plugin sounds absurdly good.

OrionAlpha101 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 6:12 am Its very disappointing that the Triton gets no update.
We need PCG import and the Moss Z1 + Sampler.
It is not much of the update indeed…

We plugin users are strange bathing in a lake called abundance.
Roland cloud has not released a new instrument for a long time, people are complaining, although the offer is so huge that one loses track of everything, so many instruments, tons of expansions, millions of presets and still more is demanded, that's crazy.
I had the cloud subscription, afair for two months and it was just too much and also too many less than mediocre instruments and sounds, I am not a big Roland synth fan anyway.
Roland even released JV1080 or 2080? and XV5080 (they are more or less the same ( poor standard)), I had the hardware and think it's one of the worst synths/sound modules ever created, so weak and uninspiring, also Roland Canvas etc., it proves again that quantity doesn't equal quality
The Korg collection includes instruments that were released many years ago and they sound fantastic and it's just the right amount of different instruments for me, maybe two more would be nice, but it's not a must.
The only thing I am complaining about or let's say not happy about is the fact that Yamaha obviously don't want to join the party, but it's the way it is.

While V Collection 10 is a great value, Augmented was such a weird left turn, I can't understand what they were thinking when they decided to add it.
egbert101 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 2:17 pm Both Arturia and Korg's recent updates to their collections suck. These were meant to be collections of vintage synth emulations whether digital or analog. But what has Augmented to do with vintage synths? They rebranded, and many have fallen for it, while those of us who see through the BS no longer see the point of spending hundreds on updates and now question years of loyally updating.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

Augmented dilutes the V Collection brand IMO. I would imagine it is much cheaper to develop than a synth emulation - plus no licensing fees. The abundance of tools IS absurd. Of course we don't need anything else to make any style of music. It's a hobby of collecting, which can be fun. And for a 60 yr old guy like me it's also about nostalgia. I love having the M1 emulation even though I hardly ever use it - it was one of my first keyboards. I hope they do the 2600 justice because that is the one hole in my dream keyboard collection from my childhood.

Generally speaking, there are a lot of great Korg simulations for free no less here:
https://www.fullbucket.de/music/vst.html

Return to “Instruments”