"Cheap" hardware synth for techno?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Shabdahbriah wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 5:30 am
isuckatproducing wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 5:13 am
hcv242 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:26 pm i really don't understand how you all get so worked up by someone who says that a novation bass station 2 didn't deliver what he wanted and at the same time says he does not have an audio interface to record synths or a simple usb->midi interface to sequence them :hihi:
Who said I didn’t have audio interface?
And ever heard of a DAW? :dog:
isuckatproducing wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:13 pm
cryophonik wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:10 pm
isuckatproducing wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:04 pm
cryophonik wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:02 pm
isuckatproducing wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:47 pm I've watched some and it sounds cool, but from what I can understand most synths use USB for signal but MIDI connection for controlling the synth with MIDI from within the DAW which would be cool...
The USB connection on synths is almost always for MIDI and will do everything the 5-pin MIDI will do and more (e.g., firmware updates, direct communication with a software editor). Audio over USB in synths is less common, but some of the synths mentioned here have that feature (e.g., Dreadbox Typhon, Analog Four).
But then how would I work the audio into DAW? Also afaik Waldorf Pulse 2 doesn't have presets?
You'll need an audio interface with at least one 1/4-inch input channel for a mono output synth (e.g., Minitaur) and two 1/4-inch inputs for synths with stereo outputs (e.g., Pulse 2). Which audio interface are you using?

The Pulse 2 has 500 preset slots and, as I recall, it comes from the factory with 400 presets. Compare that to the Minitaur's 128 presets.
I don't use a user interface, I would like to add Arturia Mk3 as a midi keyboard on top, and also record automation in Logic plugins with the knobs, and possibly play the synth with keyboard alone.

Would that be possible without much headache? And what cheapest audio interface could I get?
I don't know what's so hard to understand, people change equipment, sometimes sell stuff and go out of hobby for some time. I've had a user interface, good wired headphones and studio monitors.

Now I'm working with bluetooth headphones due to ANC, I know wired is better.

As for Bass Station 2, you can get Pigments 5 for fraction of the cost, and you can create much more sounds with it, be more creative and you can have as many instances as you want.

The only good thing about BS2 for me was the filter especially with higher resonance, it sounded really fat, but other than that it didn't sound much different if at all compared to modern synths, especially synths like Diva 2.

Bass Station 2 has a particular sound. Super 90's retro, everybody had one back then. I agree that *many* plugins sound better than it these days. At the same time, if someone wants to sound like Leftfield, there's nothing better.

listening to the tracks that the op posted, which to me sound like generic mainstream, he never heard of leftfield or wants to sound like them. which is totally fine and legit. as for the bass station 2 sound, it sounds the way you process it. it can sound rough or even delicate. it's just a sound source waiting to be processed.
Vintage Drum Machine Kits for the Roland TR8-S & MC-707 https://rhythmelectronics.bandcamp.com

hcv242 wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 7:26 pm listening to the tracks that the op posted, which to me sound like generic mainstream, he never heard of leftfield or wants to sound like them. which is totally fine and legit. as for the bass station 2 sound, it sounds the way you process it. it can sound rough or even delicate. it's just a sound source waiting to be processed.
How exactly is for ex. a dark techno mainstream EDM?
I would say it's quite niche.

As for the sound it's true processing changes a lot, but this is also why a lot of top producers sold all their hardware since it's there isn't much difference if any at all, especially if you add processing to it, like saturation, distortion, layering and whatnot.

Uncle E wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 7:08 pm Bass Station 2 has a particular sound. Super 90's retro, everybody had one back then. I agree that *many* plugins sound better than it these days. At the same time, if someone wants to sound like Leftfield, there's nothing better.
They had the original, saw them playing it. I bought one the month it came out. Sold it two weeks later.

Bought a Super Bass Station rack about 10 years ago, dirt cheap, but only had it a few months.

Never bothered trying the BS2

seafire wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 7:37 pm
Uncle E wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 7:08 pm Bass Station 2 has a particular sound. Super 90's retro, everybody had one back then. I agree that *many* plugins sound better than it these days. At the same time, if someone wants to sound like Leftfield, there's nothing better.
They had the original, saw them playing it. I bought one the month it came out. Sold it two weeks later.

Bought a Super Bass Station rack about 10 years ago, dirt cheap, but only had it a few months.

Wasn't happy with the sound?

Yes, and processing ITB is a lot easier. All of this is new, we didn't have computers that could run 20 instances of DIVA in the first decade of its existence, and many people still can't.

isuckatproducing wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 7:37 pm
seafire wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 7:37 pm

Wasn't happy with the sound?
Wasn't versatile enough, I had a 101, so was covered for those sounds anyway. Bought on a whim...

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”