What workhorse synth would you buy if you couldn't get Omnisphere?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Old Norse wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 6:48 pm
Uncle E wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 6:41 pm Wendy Carlos "Switched-On Bach" was done entirely with presets.
And it's all cover versions, as well! Can't get much less creative than that.
So damn lazy :hug:
No auto tune...

BBFG# wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 4:34 pm
IvyBirds wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 4:29 pm
igorius wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 2:31 pm
I don't get it. No direct link? I can't find a 5TB SSD drive for $129 on Amazon, nor have I ever seen one for that price anywhere else.
You are right it's now $119 this is the one I have
https://a.co/d/e686miF

All you have to do is go on Amazon and do a simple search you wil find many like this one

https://a.co/d/51T0JUQ
Those are HDD, not SSD.
Try this (4TB) at twice the price:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=ssd+4tb&crid ... _sb_noss_1

I've actually been shopping for these the last couple of weeks to upgrade my studio box to a triple boot system. And this thread has me wondering more about giving Phaseplant a go...
Phase plant is a no brainer.

digitalboytn wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 11:03 pm
Old Norse wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 6:48 pm
Uncle E wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 6:41 pm Wendy Carlos "Switched-On Bach" was done entirely with presets.
And it's all cover versions, as well! Can't get much less creative than that.
So damn lazy :hug:
My 2 cents on creativity vs presets.

While music production is a creative process, all steps of the process don't have to and SHOULDN'T be creative. Music is a subtle balance between expectations and surprises. If you release a music with unheard before sounds, using an unheard scale, using unheard structure using unheard production technique, your music will actually be perceived as noise. You need to keep points of references, in particular in view of the genre you are targeting.

Therefore part of the whole creativity process is to choose where you will be very innovative and where you will just follow trends. Historically for example, successful electronic music was 4 to the flour as it was so creative on the sound design part. Keeping the balance.

As a result, I reckon that people who are saying that if you use presets, you are not creative as a whole are just lacking maturity in their understanding of music production.

I was only kidding...

I think that Wendy aka Walter is a funking genius :wink:
No auto tune...

Ah_Dziz wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:19 pm Maybe it's just me. Or a phone thing. Who knows? Now that I am looking, my signature isn't under my posts (if it still exists). Dunno. Sorry for the false alarm.
I had this a while back, and finally tracked it down to having been reset here in the forum control panel (in 'account settings');

ucp.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Look at these guys using that cliche Tom Sawyer preset. They even named the song after it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auLBLk4ibAk

Lol..

rsp
sound sculptist

They were in a hurry. As usual.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

Jac459 wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 12:28 amWhile music production is a creative process, all steps of the process don't have to and SHOULDN'T be creative. Music is a subtle balance between expectations and surprises. If you release a music with unheard before sounds, using an unheard scale, using unheard structure using unheard production technique, your music will actually be perceived as noise. You need to keep points of references, in particular in view of the genre you are targeting.

Therefore part of the whole creativity process is to choose where you will be very innovative and where you will just follow trends. Historically for example, successful electronic music was 4 to the flour as it was so creative on the sound design part. Keeping the balance.

As a result, I reckon that people who are saying that if you use presets, you are not creative as a whole are just lacking maturity in their understanding of music production.
A lot of truth here. Very much like the point about electronic music being 4 to the floor.

Much respect to those who start every synth sound with an init patch and build from the ground up. Double respect for any who won't even use a factory sample and insist on field recording their own.

But something else that interests me is that it is perfectly possible to make dull and derivative music that way. If you just use those tools to make supersaws... what's the point? If you enjoy that process and it helps you get into the zone then terrific, so long as you don't kid yourself that an audience will sonically benefit from your method.

The older I've got, the more suspicious I have become of ideology. In the world around me I see nothing but anger and division because people are driven down rabbit holes because of social or political ideology, where purity of thought is the only thing that matters. Now, in the grand scheme of things an ideology of music creation is pretty low down in the pantheon of social ills, but it's there somewhere at the bottom - that sneering snobbishness towards any creator who doesn't do things the right way, be it vintage hardware, pristine preamps or indeed the way you make synth sounds.

Omnisphere is a giant creativity playground. There's no one right way to work with it. If you choose to use it as the fastest way to find a preset that is closest to what you have in your head so you can build a new song at extraordinary speed, it's best in class. If you are an init purist, it'll deliver there too. You can mix and match anything in between, and it has unique workflows to enable that.

As has been much said if you ONLY want supersaws or analog heaven you don't really need it, but the more different stuff you want to turn your hand to, the richer the rewards will be.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W11, Ryzen 7900, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2024 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Jac459 wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 12:28 am My 2 cents on creativity vs presets.

While music production is a creative process, all steps of the process don't have to and SHOULDN'T be creative. Music is a subtle balance between expectations and surprises. If you release a music with unheard before sounds, using an unheard scale, using unheard structure using unheard production technique, your music will actually be perceived as noise. You need to keep points of references, in particular in view of the genre you are targeting.

So you see music as a product rather than as piece of art. Correct?
<list your stupid gear here>

egbert101 wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 7:19 am
Jac459 wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 12:28 am My 2 cents on creativity vs presets.

So you see music as a product rather than as piece of art. Correct?
I would say that’s a very (unnecessarily) binary way of looking at it. It’s not a case of either/or.

LFO8 wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 8:54 am I would say that’s a very (unnecessarily) binary way of looking at it. It’s not a case of either/or.
Well that's your opinion. I don't think they are compatible.

egbert101 wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 9:02 am
LFO8 wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 8:54 am I would say that’s a very (unnecessarily) binary way of looking at it. It’s not a case of either/or.

Musical art without a product.How does that work?

John Cage's 4'33" ?

dellboy wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 9:08 am Musical art without a product.How does that work?

John Cage's 4'33" ?
Two different motivations for a start. One is about making music for the purpose of making money.

egbert101 wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 9:02 am
Didn't seem to do Mozart any harm.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W11, Ryzen 7900, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2024 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Return to “Instruments”