What workhorse synth would you buy if you couldn't get Omnisphere?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 5:19 pm So it's possible to be creative with presets, but the YOU who you were talking to will specifically not be creative using presets?
Anything is possible. The sun may not rise tomorrow for example. Or it is possible for a person not to get offended when someone doesn't find their favourite synth special. Anything is possible.
<list your stupid gear here>

egbert101 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 5:11 pm
noiseboyuk wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 5:04 pm "In other words, you're going to use presets, you're not actually going to be creative".
Yes that's my words.
You present a factual statement that it is not ever possible to be creative if you are using a preset. Creatively is exclusively reserved for those who design all their own sounds.
No that's your words not mine. I mean you could try being sincere and make a point.
Nope. Quite sincerely, that's the logical conclusion of your words. There was no room for wiggle room, you were absolutely emphatic on that point. Either a) own your words or b) safe face and rethink them.

What I suspect you will do is what all blowhards do when called out and say c) "Oh I'm not playing your silly games any more".
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W11, Ryzen 7900, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2024 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 5:39 pm
Nope. Quite sincerely, that's the logical conclusion of your words. There was no room for wiggle room, you were absolutely emphatic on that point. Either a) own your words or b) safe face and rethink them.

What I suspect you will do is what all blowhards do when called out and say c) "Oh I'm not playing your silly games any more".
Yawn. Make a sincere point, I dare you.

egbert101 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 5:41 pm Yawn. Make a sincere point, I dare you.
Ah, well since you dared me so nicely - my very sincere point is this: you are a blowhard that doesn't like being called out and refuses to acknowledge their absence of reason.

Anyway, to everyone else - what this very silly tangent illustrates rather well is the bankruptcy of the argument that presets are somehow bad or non-creative. Music history is littered with celebrated classic records that are full of presets - they are just well used by brilliant musicians and producers.

Here's a really fun example of how to use a single dodgy steel drums stock OB8 preset as a dance classic bassline AND chords by the peerless Jimmy Jam (34:47 if the timestamp doesn't work)

https://youtu.be/updSUi65UvI?t=2097

Musical intent is what counts.

And as for the specifics of Omnisphere, if you really want sounds that no-one else has ever used before, it's both easy and fun to create your own using sound-lock and sound-match. This presents endlessly new, bespoke patches.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W11, Ryzen 7900, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2024 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

egbert101 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 5:32 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 5:19 pm So it's possible to be creative with presets, but the YOU who you were talking to will specifically not be creative using presets?
Anything is possible. The sun may not rise tomorrow for example.
the sun doesn't rise, its an illusion caused by the planets rotation.

vurt wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 6:07 pm the sun doesn't rise, its an illusion caused by the planets rotation.
Also, the sun is flat.

Those $120 5Tb drives--They're spinny drives and may not be suitable for streaming multiple samples at the same time. As a back up drive, they'll be fine, if slow.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

Wendy Carlos "Switched-On Bach" was done entirely with presets.

Uncle E wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 6:41 pm Wendy Carlos "Switched-On Bach" was done entirely with presets.
And it's all cover versions, as well! Can't get much less creative than that.

spacepluk wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 5:15 pm hahaha, very cool skins in your gumroad wayford! :)
I thought so too! Hey Wayford, might be an idea to attach your gumroad link to your forum signature?

spacepluk wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 5:15 pm hahaha, very cool skins in your gumroad wayford! :)
Thank you! I'm glad you like them ;)

LFO8 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 6:55 pm
I thought so too! Hey Wayford, might be an idea to attach your gumroad link to your forum signature?
Thank you! I think it is in the signature? I attached it a couple hours ago.

wayford wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 8:15 pm
LFO8 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 6:55 pm
Thank you! I think it is in the signature? I attached it a couple hours ago.
It doesn't appear to be showing up.

Anyhow, with regards to the original topic, are you looking for a huge collection of sounds to use, or better sounds than what you currently have, or a better method to create sounds? Omni definitely can be a solution to the first two. The third is just a matter of preference, but there's little happening in Omni sphere that can't be done elsewhere.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Ah_Dziz wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:12 pm It doesn't appear to be showing up.
Interesting...This is how it looks for me:

screenshot_16.05.24.png

I checked and it even shows up when not logged in, so it is there I suppose.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Maybe it's just me. Or a phone thing. Who knows? Now that I am looking, my signature isn't under my posts (if it still exists). Dunno. Sorry for the false alarm.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Return to “Instruments”