TAL Drum - how to save samples relatively in a self-contained folder (there has to be a way!)

Official support for: tal-software.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thanks, I did email him through the support page of the tal website a couple days ago and made him aware of the issue and this thread.

Hopefully you already got an answer, nevertheless I asked for the embed sample back when it was released, and his answer was that he did not plan this feature, but if there are enough requests he might reconsider it.

I was browser through the Tal-Sampler manual the other day, and it looked to me that Tal-Sampler did indeed use relative paths to samples, as well as having the ability to have embedded (monolithic) samples. Am I incorrect about this? Supposedly, as long as you have the samples in a sub folder to the preset name, it should work.
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

otherl wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:30 am Hopefully you already got an answer, nevertheless I asked for the embed sample back when it was released, and his answer was that he did not plan this feature, but if there are enough requests he might reconsider it.
He replied that it embedding the samples in the DAW preset doesn't really work in DAWs, slows everything down. So he still didn't see that as a solution.

audiojunkie wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 4:10 pm I was browser through the Tal-Sampler manual the other day, and it looked to me that Tal-Sampler did indeed use relative paths to samples, as well as having the ability to have embedded (monolithic) samples. Am I incorrect about this? Supposedly, as long as you have the samples in a sub folder to the preset name, it should work.
No, I think it should work after doing "Save Preset and Samples To..." in TAL Sampler and the equivalent in TAL Drum but I have tested and it doesn't.
If you look at the .talsmpl and .taldrum preset files which are xml, you can see that the sample paths don't make sense (at least to me): the .talsmpl file stores the sample as an absolute path, the .taldrum does something similar (not quite absolute, but with a good portion of the absolute path).

Maybe a bug? It was in the manual that I saw it written....
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

OK, here's what I found in the end after a couple of emails from Patrick at TAL: it is possible to save a TAL Sampler or TAL Drum preset with samples in a folder, then copy the folder elsewhere and have the samples automatically found when you load the preset copy; but only if you have set the global preset path to a path above your preset folders (that contains them).

I am not sure why it works this way because it seems that if you try and move folders between different drive letters, it won't work anymore, but if you work on the same drive it's OK.

In my case, I have everything on D: so setting the global preset path to D: makes things work as I like - being able to copy folders with the preset and samples around, and having TAL find the samples in the same folder as the preset.

Return to “TAL Software”