Reason 13 Announced- Sequencer updated!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

DrFolder wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 10:05 am
I hear what you are saying, but if you need to route, split and attenuate 64 cables to over 300 destinations , this does take a substantial amount of time.
And? If you want to do that absurdity you do it yourself save some sort of template and just shut up. You can be happy that some companies even allow you to do that. Why are you complaining about the amount of time you need to invest in your ideas?

So do I understand you? You hold someone else accountable for the time you need to invest to "route, split and attenuate 64 cables to over 300 destinations" which is something you need to make music. Ok I am not going to debate what you are trying to do, this is fine actually, you do your stuff your way, weird or not whatever, but if you want to do it, do it then, and what now?

As if you tell me you are disappointed because life forces you to get out of bed every day. And life is guilty. Get real. And make some music.

DrFolder wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 10:22 am
kae wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 10:16 am
kmonkey wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:55 am I gotta laugh at the people who want to do geeky stuff such as CV and splitting signals, hence the use of routing is needed as in any other DAW out there, and some clicking is needed - yet they make it as if this is some manual labor stuff or that this drains their brains so that they need to take a 2-day vacation.

What a bunch of sissies unbelievable.
I hear what you are saying, but if you need to route, split and attenuate 64 cables to over 300 destinations , this does take a substantial amount of time. Certainly not a slightly inconvenient amount of time. If there is software that can do it in 10 minutes instead of 1-2 hours then that's a notable timesaver, and worth pointing out.
How do you route 64 sources to 300 destinations between plugins in other DAWs? Routing possibilities is actually where Reason excels. The possibility is there if you want it, hardly ever need to turn the rack if you just want normal routing.
Reaktor and VCV allow you to have multiple connections from one port. You have to route a cable to a splitter to mult it in Reason, and then mult it again after 4 or so connections. In VCV you can even route multiple cables into one port (summing) and has polyphonic cabling. This is something I would love to see in Reason since the rack extensions are so good.
the polymodular expansion is available for free under Reason as well, but it isn't an integral part of the system, so you have to use the adapter of it (Polymodular CV Breakout Box)... unfortunately.
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/brow ... olymodular

MIDI-CV also exists https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... converter/

actually, you can build a pretty decent system with it, but it's only good if someone prefers to use a visually rich environment instead of AL, BWS's minimalistic approach. Otherwise, the other two are more efficient
Last edited by xbitz on Fri May 03, 2024 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

kmonkey wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 10:40 am
I hear what you are saying, but if you need to route, split and attenuate 64 cables to over 300 destinations , this does take a substantial amount of time.
And? If you want to do that absurdity you do it yourself save some sort of template and just shut up. You can be happy that some companies even allow you to do that. Why are you complaining about the amount of time you need to invest in your ideas?

So do I understand you? You hold someone else accountable for the time you need to invest to "route, split and attenuate 64 cables to over 300 destinations" which is something you need to make music. Ok I am not going to debate what you are trying to do, this is fine actually, you do your stuff your way, weird or not whatever, but if you want to do it, do it then, and what now?

As if you tell me you are disappointed because life forces you to get out of bed every day. And life is guilty. Get real. And make some music.
A template won't work as the requirements change project to project. There is certainly nothing wrong pointing out developments in this area in other software, and wanting them implemented in Reason. When working on big commercial projects under tight deadlines this isn't unreasonable. Different people have varying opinions on features they would like developed and expressing them on a board about new features is more than appropriate. Hyperbolising a comment to provide a wannabe savage response just illuminates a lack of understanding of living in the world with other people, or for some reason anyone saying that Reason might be improved for some people by developing a feature has hurt you in some way. For this I am sorry.

Who is this update for? I don't get it at all.

Judging by the info I have: for the DAW users there are not too many sequencer/qol updates imo; for the rack plugin users all these sequencer updates are irrelevant and they will get a new synth (does anyone really need it???) and a few utility plugins...

Everyone who either used or still use Reason as a DAW know what the DAW part is missing. Myself, I jumped ship and moved to another DAW. I personally expect a different set of updates for RRP:
* better modulation (like in Falcon, PhasePlan where almost any param can be modulated with an envelope or LFO)
* have patches in RRP as any other VST. I mean not only to save these Thor setting, but if I have a rack with multiple devices to save them all as a patch without using a combinator
* add more modulation sources
* add more fx

Basically anything that will make the Rack Plugin a Falcon/Hallion - like monster aka super modular synth platform.

* updates to existing synths - why not update Subtractor/Malström instead of adding a new synth - this one is the lowest priority for me. I'm totally of with buying devices separately.

I would prefer them to focus on one thing, even as a RRP user, I'm ok with them taking time to generously improve the DAW of a few years. Right now, it looks like they split attention and resources too much between two and as a result the update is weak for both camps.

DrFolder wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 10:52 am

A template won't work as the requirements change project to project. There is certainly nothing wrong pointing out developments in this area in other software, and wanting them implemented in Reason. When working on big commercial projects under tight deadlines this isn't unreasonable. Different people have varying opinions on features they would like developed and expressing them on a board about new features is more than appropriate. Hyperbolising a comment to provide a wannabe savage response just illuminates a lack of understanding of living in the world with other people, or for some reason anyone saying that Reason might be improved for some people by developing a feature has hurt you in some way. For this I am sorry.

Well, fwiw I think it's a fair point to note that not being possible to send sources to multiple directions directly might potentially be an incovenience.

But:

1) I think this is due to Reason resembling a real-world rack/studio quite closely. I think it's fair to say that this is part of its paradigm.

2) even if you can't save pre-routed combinators and/or projects because your specific routings change with every project, you can still save a template that has (say) ten Spiders pre-loaded which you can rename in some reasonable way (i.e. according to your way of working) that makes sense to you and makes it easier for you to keep track of what is going where, so that makes it a relatively minor inconvenience I'd say. In fact in a way it might even help you to reduce/prevent chaos.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:02 am
DrFolder wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 10:52 am

Well, fwiw I think it's a fair point to note that not being possible to send sources to multiple directions directly might potentially be an incovenience.

But:

1) I think this is due to Reason resembling a real-world rack/studio quite closely. I think it's fair to say that this is part of its paradigm.

2) even if you can't save pre-routed combinators and/or projects because your specific routings change with every project, you can still save a template that has (say) ten Spiders pre-loaded which you can rename in some reasonable way (i.e. according to your way of working) that makes sense to you and makes it easier for you to keep track of what is going where, so that makes it a relatively minor inconvenience I'd say. In fact in a way it might even help you to reduce/prevent chaos.
I do have some spiders and routing pre configured in combinators and they work to a point. They have to be reconfigured often, but do save time. It wouldn't be as easy as having multiports and I remember reading years ago that it was a feature that had been heavily requested, but due to the samplerate of a cable it would be difficult to implement. Thank you for your suggestion.

SLiC wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 10:14 am
gentleclockdivider wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:53 am Fact that this company is still alive is a small miracle
They have a very loyal user base going back to ReBirth!...Also they have made some of the best sounding virtual instruments I have heard (and some of the more interesting mdi effects) in any format.
I don't doubt the expertise of Peter Jubel ( who did almost all their instruments + famous nord lead ) it's just that they don't update legacy instruments .
Thor was amazing for it's time , why not inject some new life , and this goes for a lot of their instruments .
Why are the cv cables still running @ 1/64th of the sample rate etc....why note make it trully modular and use full sample rate resolution.. ?
Last edited by gentleclockdivider on Fri May 03, 2024 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

xbitz wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 10:46 am
DrFolder wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 10:22 am
kae wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 10:16 am
kmonkey wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:55 am I gotta laugh at the people who want to do geeky stuff such as CV and splitting signals, hence the use of routing is needed as in any other DAW out there, and some clicking is needed - yet they make it as if this is some manual labor stuff or that this drains their brains so that they need to take a 2-day vacation.

What a bunch of sissies unbelievable.
I hear what you are saying, but if you need to route, split and attenuate 64 cables to over 300 destinations , this does take a substantial amount of time. Certainly not a slightly inconvenient amount of time. If there is software that can do it in 10 minutes instead of 1-2 hours then that's a notable timesaver, and worth pointing out.
How do you route 64 sources to 300 destinations between plugins in other DAWs? Routing possibilities is actually where Reason excels. The possibility is there if you want it, hardly ever need to turn the rack if you just want normal routing.
Reaktor and VCV allow you to have multiple connections from one port. You have to route a cable to a splitter to mult it in Reason, and then mult it again after 4 or so connections. In VCV you can even route multiple cables into one port (summing) and has polyphonic cabling. This is something I would love to see in Reason since the rack extensions are so good.
the polymodular expansion is available for free under Reason as well, but it isn't an integral part of the system, so you have to use the adapter of it (Polymodular CV Breakout Box)... unfortunately.
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/brow ... olymodular

MIDI-CV also exists https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... converter/

actually, you can build a pretty decent system with it, but it's only good if someone prefers to use a visually rich environment instead of AL, BWS's minimalistic approach. Otherwise, the other two are more efficient
I have the Distributor and it was ahead of its time. Not very good for MPE style of polyphonic or multi modulation sources, but very creative and works very well. Rack extension are really cool and some developers came up with really creative devices. Some of them I've been using for years and find to be integral to how I use Reason. Thank you for your links and input.

kimearo wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:02 am Who is this update for? I don't get it at all.

Judging by the info I have: for the DAW users there are not too many sequencer/qol updates imo; for the rack plugin users all these sequencer updates are irrelevant and they will get a new synth (does anyone really need it???) and a few utility plugins...
Let’s hope for RRP users that the new tagging system doesn’t mean new REs needs 13…

gentleclockdivider wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:25 am Why are the cv cables still running @ 1/64th of the sample rate etc....why note make it trully modular and use full sample rate resolution.. ?
Backwards compatibility down to v1 is a holy grail. The promise was almost never broken - apart from Line6. The few "tweaks" in the devices were always switchable to old behavior. I'm fearing that an improvement like the one you want would mean much more than just a small switch between the old and new behavior.

D-Fusion wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:41 pm
chk071 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:07 pm Those sound demos of the new Polytone synth sound like... a Reason synth. ;) Frankly, don't hear that much of a difference to Subtractor or Thor.
OMG. A New Synth that sounds like a synth :hihi:
Most subtractive synths sounds very similar to each other at certain settings so nothing new there :D
That’s why everybody wants a Minimoog

Are FL Studio and Reason the only DAWs that don't offer MPE now?
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SebAV wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:33 am
kimearo wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:02 am Who is this update for? I don't get it at all.

Let’s hope for RRP users that the new tagging system doesn’t mean new REs needs 13…
I've seen a related answer on reasontalk
Noise wrote: ↑Yesterday
Can we create new tags for VST's or Devices ?
That's currently not in place, no. Device categories are read directly from the VST3 and REs have been categorized by us. In the near future, RE developers can categorize their own devices and Reason will read those straight from the RE file.
https://forum.reasontalk.com/viewtopic. ... 30#p661630
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Hmmn well its a step in the right direction with the sequencer improvements but...not a very big step

Does Reason Studios come with wires?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”