Best guitar for funk

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Bombadil wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 1:21 pm OP has ceased to be, I see.
Banned in 2 week for <10 posts. Is there a leaderboard for that sort of thing? :)
You can twist perceptions, reality won't budge.
-- Rush Show Don't Tell

it's all in the star shaped shades and platform boots.

I reckon when they get banned so fast is because their IP matches another banned user.
Fascinating behaviour. OCD, much?
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

i just checked the rules :o

rule 3 : no funk.

who knew? :o

vurt wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:40 pm rule 3 : no funk.
Funk is on the one, not the three. Or is that just for the bass?
the old free version may not work boots successfully on new generations of computers, instruments, and hardware

pough wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 4:55 pm
vurt wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:40 pm rule 3 : no funk.
Funk is on the one, not the three. Or is that just for the bass?
Well rule 1 ans 2 are "no talking about kvr".
so 3 is the 1 of none kvr specific rules....

zvenx wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:58 pm Indeed, Nile's is a Stratocaster and Prince was a Telecaster.. I think either (and as someone else said, a funky player can deliver on any ax), but for sure I would start with either (I tend to in theory prefer Strat for it, but in practice I find myself playing funkier with a Tele.. though when I am recording in my own studio since I don't own a strat or tele, I mostly use my Ibanez S-540 or Herman Li E-Gen (yes I know neither designed with this purpose in mind)).
rsp
Wasn't Prince's Tele a knockoff? Also a lot of the rhythm parts from the Revolution era (at least live) were played by Wendy Melvoin on a Rickenbacker. Freddie Stone played a 335 as well as various members of the Funk Brothers. Steve Cropper played a Tele. The guy who played guitar on Stop Making Sense used a Strat. I've heard St. Vincent lay down some funky grooves on her own model as well as Jaguars and Jazzmasters. Most of the guitarists with P-Funk have played Strats but I have also seen DeWayne McKnight with a PRS. EWF's current rhythm guitarist plays a Les Paul.

Ultimately it's more about the feel and the chops, and any player can deliver etc. but I'd recommend something with a fixed bridge and single coils.

Yes it was a Hohner Tele knock off.

And definitely agree with you and single coils being something that will be definitely useful.
rsp
sound sculptist

http://guitarcloud.org/faq/what-guitars ... e%20Madcat.

Freddie Stone often played a Tele.
I think Tele and Strat are good for funk

BertKoor wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:35 pm While that perspex Strat is fine, I'd actually recommend a Telecaster.
Yeah, the quack in pos 2&4 in a tele is really amaaazing! :razz:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Return to “Guitars”