Free Filter VSTs

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have loads of synths, but I basically have no nice resonant LPF/HPF/BPFs that also have filter envelope, controlled by MIDI in (say you have a sampler and you want to add a filter after it, for instance). But also just a sweepable filter would be nice. You can conjure up one with an EQ (even just ReaEQ is fine, even though it's limited to a 2-pole filter) and possibly a waveshaper after it but I'd like something with more of a synthy flavour or that is just plug and play, essentially. There must be something on the internets. Even JS is fine, as long as it sweeps fine.

I'm not sure if they're just not popular, or if they're more difficult to make, but I always thought that the selection of free filters is MUCH smaller than other effects.

In my opinion, the three best free filters are Filtron by Polyverse, Nonlinear Filter from the Kilohearts free bundle (there are a few different filters you can try out from here), and Flux Mini 2 by Caelum Audio.

BPB Dirty Filter Plus is another worth downloading, as is MBandPass from the free Melda bundle (it has high- and low-pass filters), and Audio Damage Filterstation (the GUI is a bit laggy for me, so I don't use this one, but the sound is great). TAL Filter is maybe the only TAL plugin I've used that I don't really like, but it's quite popular, so it's worth checking out as well.

Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

Polyverse Filtron, TAL filter, Filterjam, Madfilter, all interesting and useful.
For paid ones I would recommend IK Mixbox, it has 70 effects including some awesome filters and at the low price it's truly phenomenal value. I love Mixbox on everything.
Arturia MS-20 is also a cool paid one that can give life, acidity, grit, to various sources.
Hybrid Filter is also very interesting, I got it for free with a purchase from PB.

Return to “Effects”