One DAW as your only environment/instrument(s)?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

vurt wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:30 pm :hihi: you must be new here.
You must be old here. Like really old. Probably 80.

close enough. :)

Reason. No contest for me
Windows 10 PC. Reason. Cubase. Waveform. Reaper. Studio One Pro. Epiphone Les Paul Pro II. Nektar Panorama t4. Yamaha RBX Bass. Faderport 2. Eris E5 Monitors. SSL2 Interface. Audient Evo 4. AKG C214. Aston Origin. MXL 990.

Logic. I find myself using the drummer plugin over my other drum plugins because it fits in the mix better.Logics arranger makes drum programing very simple.

Logics automatic tempo mapping seems to be the best there currently is.

Logic comes with a lot high quality effects and synths.

Logics mastering assistant makes my tracks sound ...mastered.

Logic has usable amp sims and effects.

Alchemy is an alternative for something like Omnisphere which cost more than double the price of logic.

If I was making just 4/4 music or music with no tempo drift I could see using Reason or Ableton Live, but they both are again more than double the price of Logic and I feel like Im getting less with them.

All that said, I still use Bitwig for synth sounds because between Logic and Bitwig I feel I have everything covered.

Nathanananan wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:49 pm Logic. I find myself using the drummer plugin over my other drum plugins because it fits in the mix better.Logics arranger makes drum programing very simple.
What does the arranger have to do with drum programming? Do you mean the Step Sequencer?
Logics automatic tempo mapping seems to be the best there currently is.

Logic comes with a lot high quality effects and synths.

Logics mastering assistant makes my tracks sound ...mastered.

Logic has usable amp sims and effects.
That's true of 75% of the DAW market, in 2024.

Except Mastering Assistant, which honestly isn't any better than Ozone Elements, which is a freebie 5-7x a year and will deliver similar results. I'm not sure why anyone should care about that.
Alchemy is an alternative for something like Omnisphere which cost more than double the price of logic.
Alchemy is nice, but... Alternative to Omnisphere?
If I was making just 4/4 music or music with no tempo drift I could see using Reason or Ableton Live, but they both are again more than double the price of Logic and I feel like Im getting less with them.
Ableton Live Suite ships with a better set of Stock Plug-ins and MIDI FX, Samples, and Synths than Logic Pro. And comparable Multi-Sampled Patches. Logic Pro probably has more Loops. Live Suite also gives you access to Max for Live and its ecosystem.

If you only need Live Standard, than that's less than Logic Pro as an upgrade from Live Lite, tax-free, from Thomann Music.

Reason 12 is a niche solution that appeals to a specific market segment, but its synths and samplers are good. Probably better as a utility DAW (for Rack Plug-in), these days, but that veers beyond the bounds of this topic.

-----

I actually find Logic to be... incredibly overrated for its content... largely because people tend to cope on things like ChromaVerb, Drummer and Alchemy while ignoring the fact that half of their synths and 1/3rd or more of their plug-ins are stone aged.

DAWs were shipping decent-good Stock Guitar plug-ins with 20+ Stomps and tons of pedals 15+ years ago. Stuff like that is unremarkable. Most people who care about that will scrutinize them and end up running to one of the industry leaders in those market segments, anyways.

Areas that I found Logic Lacking was in its selection of Multi-Band Dynamics Plug-ins, the lack of a Dynamic EQ, Lack of Theory Tooling, Weird Implementation of Multi-Timbral Instrument Support, and relatively (emphasis) poor audio editing functionality. I also don't think the mixer is really much of a selling point. Its plug-in browser is also among the worst, though its plug-in manager is ironically amazing.

I think as a core DAW, Studio One kind of does things better than Logic, apart from AU MIDI FX and Live Loops (though Studio One has Scratch Pads).

I didn't find Logic to be particularly great at MIDI, either. It's actually quite run of the mill there, beyond its great Step Sequencer. The Score Editor is above average, though, for people who care about that (and it can import MusicXML, which IIRC only Cubase Pro and REAPER match - most DAWs will export MusicXML without issue).

Logic also forces you to commit to a single operating platform, which is something I really just don't care to do - and likely never will (I've always been multi-platform).

-----

So, I stick to Cubase and just bolt on whatever I need.

I like to go to Audio ASAP as I can do more with Audio than with MIDI, and Logic just doesn't hit the spot there. I think Samplitude Pro X is a superior workflow for that, but... Windows-only!

If I said you are blocked, I won't see your posts. Please kindly refrain from quoting or replying to me.
"Notifications for Nothing" are annoying. Blocking me in return is a good way to avoid this.

This is when it becomes less fun.

It can't be what 'you' use, but there must be a best and someone is going to declare they know what best!

It was inevitable.

hello

elxsound wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:02 am This is when it becomes less fun.

It can't be what 'you' use, but there must be a best and someone is going to declare they know what best!

It was inevitable.
If you read the guys sig, you get an idea of the mentality.

I'm very happy with my DAW everyone hates in Digital Performer, but I'm not married to it. I'm currently remixing some old 2 track mixes of my band from the 80's and the vocals are too low. Logic in Rosetta no less, is the only DAW that does ARA for iZotopes Music rebalance, which is a far more elegant solution than stand alone, or any other way to approach the fact that the vocals are too low on this two track mixdown. It works perfectly, I'm glad Logic is cheap and that I have a copy. I would be using it as a main DAW if I wasn't so attached to the weird and kitchen sink almost Reaper like approach of DP.

We're so lucky these days, I'm certain if DP and Logic both died I would be happy in Cubase, and then there's the fantastic plugin support of Bitwig, Lives M4L, Reapers ultimate customizability etc. etc.

It was inevitable.
If I were a Hip Hop Producer, I would choose Logic Pro over Cubase any day of the week. The Step Sequencer is worth it, alone. That is not something you can just bolt onto Cubase. I would go with Logic, and I wouldn't ever look back. Sample Alchemy is also really good, since in the OP's scenario we can't bolt on stuff like Waves CR8 ;-)

Not even Studio One's Pattern Editor really competes with Logic's Step Sequencer. It's the best on the market.

But in terms of offering everything you need out of the box in one package, I still think Ableton Live Suite is the superior package. I think Logic Pro is a bit overrated in that aspect, especially when you juxtapose the quality of some of their synths and plug-ins against what Ableton has on offer; as well as the number and quality of presets offered for them... Some of Logic's synths, you're be lucky to find more than 2 dozen presets for them in the package; and a few have much less than that.

If I said you are blocked, I won't see your posts. Please kindly refrain from quoting or replying to me.
"Notifications for Nothing" are annoying. Blocking me in return is a good way to avoid this.

machinesworking wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:33 am

It was inevitable.

I'm very happy with my DAW everyone hates in Digital Performer, but I'm not married to it. I'm currently remixing some old 2 track mixes of my band from the 80's and the vocals are too low. Logic in Rosetta no less, is the only DAW that does ARA for iZotopes Music rebalance, which is a far more elegant solution than stand alone, or any other way to approach the fact that the vocals are too low on this two track mixdown. It works perfectly, I'm glad Logic is cheap and that I have a copy. I would be using it as a main DAW if I wasn't so attached to the weird and kitchen sink almost Reaper like approach of DP.

We're so lucky these days, I'm certain if DP and Logic both died I would be happy in Cubase, and then there's the fantastic plugin support of Bitwig, Lives M4L, Reapers ultimate customizability etc. etc.
Mentality is:

1. If I block you, I will tell you. Not sure what You call it, but I call that courtesy.
2. If I tell you I've blocked you, don't do the insane thing (that you did for MONTHS) and reply to my posts, generating countless unnecessary Reply Notifications with comments that I will never read.
3. If you don't want to see my posts, then block me. I don't mind.

That seems 100% reasonable.

What isn't reasonable is that it's a "mentality" (derogatory inferred) simply because I don't want to waste time reading troll posts from people who run around the internet after me to bitch and moan about me reporting massive VST3 Compatibility and ASIO Driver issues that a certain DAW's Windows port was having, forcing me to get a refund issued.

I'm only responding to this because I knew what was in it and after seeing it I want to make it pretty clear why my signature is what it is. This is the first post of yours that I've looked at in 18-20 months.

Frankly, I got tired of getting tons of useless notifications for posts I would never read; and I didn't see the point in people wasting their time typing to me on a forum when I would never read their posts... after being told sometimes 5X+ that I had them on block.

Me refusing to engage with you and those other people is doing everyone else here a favor.

Cute troll, though.

Tchuss.

elxsound wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:02 am
hello
:hihi:

Trensharo wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:35 am
machinesworking wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:33 am

It was inevitable.

Mentality is:

1. If I block you, I will tell you. Not sure what You call it, but I call that courtesy.
2. If I tell you I've blocked you, don't do the insane thing (that you did for MONTHS) and reply to my posts, generating countless unnecessary Reply Notifications with comments that I will never read.
3. If you don't want to see my posts, then block me. I don't mind.

That seems 100% reasonable.

What isn't reasonable is that it's a "mentality" (derogatory inferred) simply because I don't want to waste time reading troll posts from people who run around the internet after me to bitch and moan about me reporting massive VST3 Compatibility and ASIO Driver issues that a certain DAW's Windows port was having, forcing me to get a refund issued.

I'm only responding to this because I knew what was in it and after seeing it I want to make it pretty clear why my signature is what it is. This is the first post of yours that I've looked at in 18-20 months.

Frankly, I got tired of getting tons of useless notifications for posts I would never read; and I didn't see the point in people wasting their time typing to me on a forum when I would never read their posts... after being told sometimes 5X+ that I had them on block.

Me refusing to engage with you and those other people is doing everyone else here a favor.

Cute troll, though.

Tchuss.
I'm not even trying to be mean here. Your mentality is what you do is best, your opinions are the only ones that matter, and your feelings are the only ones that get hurt. Your signature is about control, controlling what other people do. This is what I meant by that, and you can't handle that blatantly obvious fact. You'll probably respond that you blocked me again etc. don't care, I'm not going to watch other people have issues with you and not comment, and it's right in line that you had to unblock me and comment when I said something that isn't even much of an insult, you can't handle opinions you disagree with, no wonder you're arguing with people about the DAW they use? I mean that's why you blocked me in the first place. :hihi:

We're back to the status quo, dude.

You'll probably respond that you blocked me again etc. don't care, I'm not going to watch other people have issues with you and not comment
Quoting myself here, 100% predictable :hihi:
I'm not interested in blocking people because to me that's too close to fascist logic. Plus the only reason I commented on his dogging of someone else's DAW choice was, that's exactly the reason he blocked me in the first place! :lol: He couldn't handle that I like DP, and flipped out when I didn't agree with him that it's a POS etc. This is why I said consider the source when getting annoyed or frustrated with someones opinion, like assholes everyone has one, and some people maybe talk out of... *

Trensharo wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:31 am Alchemy is nice, but... Alternative to Omnisphere?
Yup... and doesn't cost a penny if you have Logic.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”