So what happened to that long list of devs supporting CLAP?

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am extremely happy with the full support of Bitwig for CLAP. I become extra aware of its impact when I look at the size of the footprint of a plugin while its running! What I would really curios to know is: Even after Ableton Live 12 release, I still don't see any recognition of CLAP. Does anyone know if Ableton eventually will include CLAP pliugins? Or is Ableton loyally staying in the Steinberg camp?
Last edited by DoubleStop on Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

DoubleStop wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:37 am I am extremely happy with the full support of Bitwig for CLAP. I become extra aware of its impact when I look at the size of the footprint of a plugin while its running! What I would really curios to know is: Even after Ableton Live 12 release, I still don't see any recopgnition of CLAP. Does anyone know if Ableton eventually will include CLAP pliugins? Or is Ableton loyally staying in the Steinberg camp?
I read that CLAP support is now in the top 10 in the Ableton Centercode user requests.

... update from Moss

CLAP (Clever Audio Plugin): News Spring 2024 - FL Studio, Fabfilter, new CLAP features demo, ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMnq4gJvVXk

OdoSendaidokai wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:17 pm ... update from Moss

CLAP (Clever Audio Plugin): News Spring 2024 - FL Studio, Fabfilter, new CLAP features demo, ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMnq4gJvVXk
Yeah, the thing is Clap is not equal to Clap. Hosts and Plugins can choose which optional parts of the spec/ABI they want to support. Hosts A might for instance chose to support the thread pool while Host B might not. C might support it asw well but with an awkward bad impl. Plugin X which has optimized it's engine to run with a Clap thread pool might then behave differently depending on when used in host A or host B, even on the same computer and even if the VTS3 versions behaved the same. That way plugins have a circular dependency to the host which they are not able to control ... Today: DAW calls plugin, plugin processes and returns result. With Clap Threadpool: DAW calls plugin. Plugin calls DAW to process stuff, DAW processes stuff, plugin creates output and returns it to DAW.
And I think I already saw an DAW specific extension in Reaper ... which is puzzeling. Same as for plugins. Matt Tytle for instance has just slapped the VST3 to Clap-Adapter on top of Vital. This is not meant as an accusation, but as an example: Vital CLAP does not offer more things than Vital VST3 does. So from a customer perspective it's no big difference in terms of functionality/perfromance. Many Plugins simply are just Clap, but Clap is not an technologie injected by the DAW or by linking a Lib. It's an ABI with optional parts. Just saying something "is Clap" is not sufficient when you leave out what has actually been implemented and what not ... so be carefull to over expect.
I think the hype cycle is not yet reached then "Peak of Inflated Expectations" thus it will have to go through "Trough of Disillusionment" and finally it will go into the "Slope of Enlightenment".

] Peter:H [ wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:10 pm I think the hype cycle is not yet reached
For me, the hype has already fulfilled itself... the CLAP versions of ACE, Bazille and Diva add lots of amazing capability I am using regularly. And it will only get better from here!

] Peter:H [ wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:10 pm Yeah, the thing is Clap is not equal to Clap.
Same with VST3 btw. Hardly any host supports some of its more interesting features which have been around since day 1. That's also because they were not exactly intuitive nor well documented (which thankfully has changed). But mainly it is because VST2 was the most common denominator, and supporting anything beyond it was futile.

CLAP will change that.

Return to “Bitwig”