How much money have you spent on plugins?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Nothing because 99.9% of them aren't worth money

How much money I have spend on plugins, but also how much I spent on updates.
Many companies nowadays trying to make more money from the same product, DAW or Plugin, whenever this is in a form of yearly subscription like WUP or rolling out a new version every year like Pigments. I don't like either of them and avoiding them.
Since then, I cut the spending on plugins almost to zero. How many plugins that I use on a daily basis and not part of the DAW? Maybe 10 at most.
Before that, I tend to spend $500 or so every year.

roman.i wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 11:04 am How much money I have spend on plugins, but also how much I spent on updates.
Many companies nowadays trying to make more money from the same product, DAW or Plugin, whenever this is in a form of yearly subscription like WUP or rolling out a new version every year like Pigments. I don't like either of them and avoiding them.
Since then, I cut the spending on plugins almost to zero. How many plugins that I use on a daily basis and not part of the DAW? Maybe 10 at most.
Before that, I tend to spend $500 or so every year.
Your point is valid but your example isn't.
Pigments updates are all free.

Jac459 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 12:05 pm Your point is valid but your example isn't.
Pigments updates are all free.
Right, but there are many other companies who sell updates, Cubase, Sonnox, Sonible, etc.
And even if I don't need the new features introduced, the maintenance of the previous versions is being dropped. This is a gray area, where it is unclear how many years the version I bought is going to be maintained if at all.

$0

For me, somewhere in the ballpark of around $5500.

Right now some of what I own includes (but isn't limited to):
NI Komplete 13 Ultimate
Spectrasonics Omnisphere
Spectrasonics Keyscape
Arturia DX7 V
Lennardigital Sylenth1
Reveal Sound Spire

Izotope Mix & Master Bundle
Fabfilter Total
Antares Auto-Tune Pro Perpetual
Waves Horizon
All Valhalla DSP plugins
LOTS of Universal Audio plugins
Various Soundtoys
Various SSL Plugins
Various Slate Digital Plugins

Is it an obsession?...sure.
Do I have the time to produce as much as I'd like? Nope.
Was it a giant waste of money? Nope.

As a live keyboardist and occasional producer, believe it or not, I use almost everything more often than most people think and more often than I do producing. Guess if it works, it works!

Less than a lot of people spend on booze and fags every year I'm sure :lol: music production can be a very cheap hobby, but even spending what I do every year on software and hardware, it's still cheaper than drinking in pubs and clubs or renovating classic cars or flying or gaming even (if you play a lot and buy most/all of your games at full retail price).
Always Read the Manual!

PieBerger wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 8:42 am Less than a lot of people spend on booze and fags every year I'm sure :lol: music production can be a very cheap hobby, but even spending what I do every year on software and hardware, it's still cheaper than drinking in pubs and clubs or renovating classic cars or flying or gaming even (if you play a lot and buy most/all of your games at full retail price).
Rationalization…. :hihi:

Actually, I say the same thing when people go 'are all these your guitars?' Replacement cost of my guitars is over 20,000€. Less than a half decent car, and they'll last me until the end of my life.
Better than drugs and booze, too.

As for the original question: more and more. I bought Musio 1 and EW CC the last couple of weeks. :help:
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Bombadil wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:50 am Rationalization…. :hihi:
aka lies I tell myself :lol:
Always Read the Manual!

Hahaha (but sadly), Wasteland.
Yes 3 gold bars will likely exceed a million USD sometime soon...

I have not spent a penny yet on VST plugins, there are so many superb free plugins!

I bought a DAW years ago, it expired along with the OS on the computer that ran it. Spent about 50$ on it at the time (over 10 years ago).

808fate wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:47 pm Hi, how much have you guys spent on software?
I am a newbie and it seems quite expensive. I am wanting to start with Logic Pro or Ableton Live, but liking Logic more from videos.

Also, how much money if any have you made with music?
i have wasted a fair bit on things i don’t need , and it’s because we as humans always want new things we don’t need , i would go for logic if i was you but it’s what you like ableton suite has everything you need and so does logic , tbh there’s not much outside of those Daws that you could not find for free now mate , we waste money because we want new toys , when really we should be wasting time exploring and getting good at what we have , sometimes i have bought stuff played around with the sounds and not really used it because it looked and sounded good in the video , im a singer songwriter , why did i need a sound effect vst lol :hihi: all you need is the program trust me learn that or you just waste time with too much crap . good luck mate .

dartfordyes wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 12:01 pm
808fate wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:47 pm Hi, how much have you guys spent on software?
I am a newbie and it seems quite expensive. I am wanting to start with Logic Pro or Ableton Live, but liking Logic more from videos.

Also, how much money if any have you made with music?
i have wasted a fair bit on things i don’t need , and it’s because we as humans always want new things we don’t need , i would go for logic if i was you but it’s what you like ableton suite has everything you need and so does logic , tbh there’s not much outside of those Daws that you could not find for free now mate , we waste money because we want new toys , when really we should be wasting time exploring and getting good at what we have , sometimes i have bought stuff played around with the sounds and not really used it because it looked and sounded good in the video , im a singer songwriter , why did i need a sound effect vst lol :hihi: all you need is the program trust me learn that or you just waste time with too much crap . good luck mate .
When you sit in a terrasse to get a beer, do you consider it "wasted" money, or just you decided to treat yourself ? :-).
So you want new toys and what ? Is it really wasted or you having fun ?

I think that what is wrong is people thinking they nnneeeeeeddddd this last plugin in order to do music. But I would bet that it is a very small part of us.

Life is too short and you're a long time dead. So spend your money on the things and the people you love. I love my hobby and I love my family, so that's were all my spare cash goes. :)
The inner workings of vurts mind are a force to be reckoned with.
music is a need in my life...yes I could survive without it but tbh I dont know how
myfeebleeffort
https://paulroach2.bandcamp.com/
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

jethrobull wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 1:10 pm Life is too short and you're a long time dead. So spend your money on the things and the people you love. I love my hobby and I love my family, so that's were all my spare cash goes. :)
Cheers to that.

sickpie98 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:56 pm Nothing because 99.9% of them aren't worth money
“Worth” is relative.

I’d rather spend my time learning and enjoying things I found to be best than being bored and uninspired.

I have the money and learning and exploring music tools is my hobby (and sometimes making a song). So all the money I’ve spent is worth it to me.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”