Descent (Seismic Gloom)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

In late 2020, I decided that the time had come to move to a 64-bit DAW - EnergyXT2 development seemed to have stopped (although I got a pleasant surprise 18 months later). I installed MuLab 8 on my computer, but at that time Mulab only supported VST2 (officially), so I was unsure whether it was a viable option going forward. Fortunately Mulab 9 supports VST3 and CLAP, as does EXT64, so I am a happy camper.

This was my first project using MuLab, but one thing led to another during that bleak and disheartening winter, and the project was forgotten. I rediscovered it quite recently after a MuLab upgrade, and decided to finish it as the music was 90% complete. I made a few musical/instrumentation changes, and mixed/mastered it.

https://soundcloud.com/whatsisname/descent

Devices and Paraphernalia

Recorded in MuLab 8.6.26
Mixed in MuLab 9.4.12
Mastered in T-Racks 5

MuDrum
Poly Synth
Z3ta+2
Skanner XT
Chromaphone 2
Spitfire LABS
Microtonic
TassMan4
MuVerb
EQuivocate
Things Texture
Voxengo Tempo Delay
Satin
Linear Phase EQ
Opto Compressor
Vintage Equalizer
Brickwall Limiter

DR - 11

Well titled track, although it does also sound grand and uplifting to me. The percussion is lovely Ala Peter Gabriel.
Well done!
:)
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

Allomerus wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:36 am Well titled track, although it does also sound grand and uplifting to me. The percussion is lovely Ala Peter Gabriel.
Well done!
:)
The obvious percussion is MuDrum and microtonic, but the TassMan4 bass sequence is multi-faceted.

Thanks very much for taking the time to listen and comment, John. Glad it was able to cheer you up :)

Yes - it's impressive how you describe your technical evolution with
Energy and Mulab. In the end, what really counts - for me - is the musical
creativity - and how it sounds: Is the track original? Does “anything” about
it speak to me?

And indeed: this is where you shine. It's an atmospheric track with rhythmic
elements that merge into a strangely expressive whole. Very impressive! :tu:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

Enjoyable tune with nice groove. Pleasant ambiance… good mix and sounds.

enroe wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:37 am Yes - it's impressive how you describe your technical evolution with
Energy and Mulab. In the end, what really counts - for me - is the musical
creativity - and how it sounds: Is the track original? Does “anything” about
it speak to me?
This was my first project in MuLab, so it was a bit of a leap into the dark. I treated it as a test (which is probably why I forgot about it for so long).
enroe wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:37 am And indeed: this is where you shine. It's an atmospheric track with rhythmic
elements that merge into a strangely expressive whole. Very impressive! :tu:
The assembly of the rhythmic components was probably the most complex part of putting this piece together.

Thanks very much for taking the time to listen and comment, Andy. Glad you liked it :)

My favorite part of the tune is how unexpected shifts in the chord progression signal such different moods and vibes. It's all very peaceful and somber, but a chord switch here and there take you to completely different places.

The build/transition around 2:00 is lovely

Big change in direction around 5:00. This one really takes you on a journey, with multiple stops along the way.

Interesting to hear about your process.

Really clean, well defined mix.

Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

Return to “Music Cafe”