Where is Softube Modular heading.

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

SebAV wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 6:15 am
zerocrossing wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:16 am
SHall1000 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:55 pm Perhaps the can’t afford the licensing fees.
It’s probably more a matter of Softube’s terms being unfavorable for developers. Meaning, when they sell a module on their site they’re taking too big a cut or something like that.
Perhaps, it’s just a niche market and nobody is going to invest in it anymore ?
I don't think anyone makes any music products because they think it's a great way to strike it rich. Most VCV modules are free, put up by people who have an idea they want to use and then generously share it with the world. There are some commercial ones, but you don't really need to buy them to get a lot out of it. I think if Softube opened their API up to the world and let anyone author modules for Modular, it would give it a whole new life. They would benefit from more people buying licenses for it, and probably also picking up some of their paid modules as well.

But it seems like they're not really interested in it. I sent a request for a CV controllable mixer, something that's as common as dirt in the hardware modular world, and the support person acted as if this was some new thing I'd thought of. Sadly, I think they just don't care to be a big player in software modular. Sad, really, as their sound quality is pretty much the best.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Hi all,
I put in a request ages ago for them to sell all the hardware synth emulations modules separately as I have umpteen emulations from other manufacturers and they said it was something they we’re looking into, surprise surprise no sign yet! They could easily do a ‘package’ of them all, charge a reasonable amount for it and I would buy it. They said in the original blurb for Modular there would be frequent releases of new modules, that has not been the case, I think the last actual single module was Vermont I think. Definitely over promised I think which really is a shame as it really does sound gorgeous. Cheers Glyn.

Based were they have been going so far, I think they're heading somewhere between nowhere and retirement. It's just way too clunky, too limited, too boring and too expensive, imo.

The other factor (that I’ve heard) is that VCV tends to play favorites with devs and outright refuse to assist some with porting their stuff over to their system. I’ve actually asked a couple (which I won’t name) who’ve had negative experiences dealing with them and that is why they chose to port them to VM instead.

Straight to the digital bin.
Been demoing some modular this week and Softube is the first plugin to ever crash Ableton 11.

Return to “Modular Synthesis”