Audio tehnica at-5040

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hello, I want to buy a studio microphone and I thought about the audio technique at 5040, now I have an at 4033a and I am quite satisfied with it for the money I spent on it, but I would like something better, something that has presence and to sound natural, at 4033 lacks voice presence and captures too much high frequencies. I want a microphone that sounds full, has low frequencies, presence, to push the sound forward and to hear the recording as I hear the voice or the real instrument I am asking those who own this microphone or have experience with microphones to help me, to guide me in making the right choice, considering that this microphone costs a lot, I would not want to spend such a large amount on something that does not worth the money. thank you.

A few years ago, the AT5040 was one of the few microphones I was considering, but my research about it suggests that it has a very limited pickup pattern. Here is another resource that may help decide what microphone works best for your use case:

https://www.sweetwater.com/feature/vocal-mic-shootout/

You should probably consider the AT4050 first.

thanks for the help, I listened to several tests, comparisons between microphones, I came to the conclusion that I have a choice between at5040 and neumann u87ai. I like at-5040 more than neumann u87, for linearity, mid and low frequencies, sub-low great, it seems to me the best balanced microphone, but from what I hear it doesn't have the presence of the neumann, as if it sounds a little more erased and without presence, the sound is not as concrete as with the neumann, maybe precisely because it is very linear in freq cvente. neumann sounds very good, clear, concrete sound is present, but at least that's what I hear, it has quite a lot of high mids, I don't think it's as correct in frequencies as at5040. I made the decision and ordered at- 5040 but there is a problem, it is not in stock, in any store in the country, I spoke by phone with the sellers of several stores and I was told that it takes between 2-3 months for them to send it to me, it is possible to manufacture it only to order. I'm impatient, in 2-3 months I'll change my mind. so I ordered the neumann u87ai, it was in stock. I hope I won't be disappointed by this microphone, I'm afraid of the high frequencies that it has extra frequencies low in the minus compared to the at-5040.

The Neumann U 87 Ai is an excellent microphone, but if it is not to your liking, they are reasonably easy to sell in the used market due to their reputation alone. I was faced with a similar dilemma, but I ended up pursuing handheld vocal microphones for the stage instead.

hello, today I did the first tests with the neumann u87ai, I can say that I am satisfied and I really like its very warm, silky sound, but at the same time concrete and present, it has a wide spectrum, you feel that it captures all frequencies, comparisons and tests from YouTube, the internet, they are irrelevant, they confused me more than they helped me, in reality the u87ai has a nice sound, at least that's how it sounds on the genelec 8040 and ucx2, even on the phone what I recorded with it can be heard well. the materials , the comparisons on the internet made me have great emotions and doubts about u87ai, there it seemed that it offers too many high mids, that it has a minus in low mids, but still I said to try, having the possibility to return the microphone in for 14 days I thought that I had nothing to lose and yet its popularity and reputation gave me confidence. In the end, I like it, it's what I wanted from a microphone, maybe the price is a bit exaggerated but I understand, the research, the employees have to be paid and the famous company costs money.

I must mention the defect I noticed with the u87ai if you activate the low cut on the microphone, all the fat is lost, I think it cuts from the low end much more than it should and as specified by the manufacturer, and if you activate the pad at -10db the same way, it loses a lot of the frequency range, the sound becomes deleted, this is not good and I don't understand why this happens.

Thank you for following up with your experience. I will take it into account if I consider a studio microphone later on in the future.

geky wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:14 pm I must mention the defect I noticed with the u87ai if you activate the low cut on the microphone, all the fat is lost, I think it cuts from the low end much more than it should and as specified by the manufacturer, and if you activate the pad at -10db the same way, it loses a lot of the frequency range, the sound becomes deleted, this is not good and I don't understand why this happens.
Good for drums. If you're using the mic for overheads, you only need the very high frequencies for cymbals. Similarly with the pad, drums can easily overload mic pre's, which is something that rarely (if ever) happens with vocals.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”