Bitwig stability vs Cubase

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Finding Cubase unutterably frustrating atm. Constant freezes and crashes, likely caused by a plugin but crash report tells me nothing. I could spend hours trying to figure out the issue...or I could switch to a different DAW. I actually love Cubase and understand it quite thoroughly but find myself spending much too much time trying to fix technical issues that I'm about ready to jump over to Bitwig. I make electronic music as well as enjoying more free-form sound design and use the DAW as simply a VST and hardware host a lot of the time and Bitwig seems perfect for those aims.

I'm hoping I could get some learned souls to compare the stability of Cubase to Bitwig and any other DAW they have experience with. And if people have made the shift I'm contemplating, how was the learning curve for Bitwig compared to Cubase?

My priority is to avoid crashes which seem to corrupt projects and render them impossible to work with. All suggestions welcome.
Last edited by swilow11 on Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

My suggestion (without trying to be smart) is to work on your setup. Something is wrong on your side. As an owner of a Bitwig license, Cubase 13, and several other DAWs, I used Cubase for the past 10 years. I have more than 100 different FX from various vendors, more than 100 VST instruments, etc. I also make electronic music. And have hooked up several different MIDI controllers into Cubase (or other DAWs).

Cubase never crashes on me. It does have quirks here and there but it never crashes. What are you doing to make it crash?

I think that your problem is not the DAW but a computer setup. Maybe faulty memory or something. Like an auto overclock etc.

Imagine this, or see it this way: Cubase is used a lot in the industry. Like really a lot. There is no arguing about it. If Cubase was so unreliable you would think it would happen on a large scale and someone would notice it no? Instead, you have a minor number of reported issues. Then these can be filtered out further as user errors.

I am not going to pretend everything is perfect it isn't, but when someone tells me, Cubase randomly crashes, is unusable I am switching to another daw, etc - it sounds like an exaggeration and uneducated hyperbole. I can only sympathize with your troubles but the reality goes against your claim and I belive the problem lies in your setup. Not the app. You asked for suggestions and there it is.

just want to point out that this was my issue which is enabled by default
Screenshot 2024-04-24 at 08.14.36.png
>> https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... nd-crashes
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

kmonkey wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:49 am My suggestion (without trying to be smart) is to work on your setup. Something is wrong on your side. As an owner of a Bitwig license, Cubase 13, and several other DAWs, I used Cubase for the past 10 years. I have more than 100 different FX from various vendors, more than 100 VST instruments, etc. I also make electronic music. And have hooked up several different MIDI controllers into Cubase (or other DAWs).

Cubase never crashes on me. It does have quirks here and there but it never crashes. What are you doing to make it crash?

I think that your problem is not the DAW but a computer setup. Maybe faulty memory or something. Like an auto overclock etc.

Imagine this, or see it this way: Cubase is used a lot in the industry. Like really a lot. There is no arguing about it. If Cubase was so unreliable you would think it would happen on a large scale and someone would notice it no? Instead, you have a minor number of reported issues. Then these can be filtered out further as user errors.

I am not going to pretend everything is perfect it isn't, but when someone tells me, Cubase randomly crashes, is unusable I am switching to another daw, etc - it sounds like an exaggeration and uneducated hyperbole. I can only sympathize with your troubles but the reality goes against your claim and I belive the problem lies in your setup. Not the app. You asked for suggestions and there it is.
Good point. Tbh, I've used several other DAWs like FL and Reason and never had the same issues. However, i'm pretty certain it is caused by issues with my setup in combination with Cubase- which is a fantastic DAW but relatively notorious for differing degrees of instability. As a hobbyist, I don't really have the time or inclination to totally drill down on what is causing the issue- I want to make music. If a DAW has less of a reputation for glitch behaviour, I'm interested and Bitwig does seem to be a good option.

I appreciate your thoughts. 👍

swilow11 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:35 am I appreciate your thoughts. 👍
What do you want to hear? If you are interested in Bitwig and think it is a more stable option than Cubase then try it out and check if it is more stable on your system. They have a 30 days free tryout.

I have both Cubase and Bitwig ... and both are absolutely stable for me. So the DAW may not be the source of your problem.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”