Delay, again, 2024.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I don't know if it ticks all checks, but Sixth Sample Deelay (both free and paid versions) seems very nice:

https://sixthsample.com/deelay/

Hope it helps,
Mario

I use Baby Audio Comeback Kid as my slap delay sends, and Soundtoys Echoboy and Primaltap as creative/character delays.
Check out my OSC (One Synth Challenge) entries and more Logic Pro sequences on SoundCloud and YouTube.

Waves Metafilter -

the most

underrrated

plugin

ever.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

These are my favorites, in no a particular order

AudioThing Mantis
audiority Dark Memory
audiority Plexy plate
AudioThing Outer Space 2
Pulsar Echorec
Native Replika XT
Imaginamdo K7D
Last edited by Gam456 on Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

U-he ColourCopy
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

It's certainly worth exploring the delay that comes with your DAW, but there are also plenty of reasons to love other delays as well. Different approaches, different character and additional features.

A lot of times when trying to decide which delay to use, I just pick one at random, but sometimes I immediately know which one will work with that particular voice and another one just wouldn't be as good.

Ranked in order of "if I could only have one... if I could only have two," etc.:

1: Valhalla Delay: covers a ton of ground, sounds great

2: Noise Engineering Imitor: flexible but easy to work with multitap delay, nice modulation options

3: Sonic Charge Echobode: combines delay, diffusion, frequency shifter, EQ and an assignable LFO, tons of possibilities.

Others of interest, in no particular order:

Bitwig Delay+, can host other devices/plugins inside the feedback loop and has some tools of its own

Inertia Sound Systems Hinder, great for long dirty feedback trails

Sinevibes Integer, inspired by BBD delays without specifically emulating them

Aqusmatic Dedalus Delay, has a granular mode for delay time modulation without Doppler shift, also some nice drive/EQ in the feedback loop

Sandman Pro, has a buffer you can freeze, pitch shifting and other fun toys

Audiority Plexitape, if you want the sound of tape delay with a lot of gain staging interaction giving you a lot of flavor options along the way

Disclaimer: I don't know (or care) what does or doesn't support Mac M1 :D
Last edited by foosnark on Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IK Space Delay
PSP 285
Newfangled Reciprocate
Soniccharge Permut8 - original and Pong firmware.

roman.i wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:47 am Requirements:
1. Supports natively Apple M1
2. History of maintenance to the latest Macos
3. Doesn't require purchasing a "new" version every year or so
Igro wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:54 am Variety of Sound NastyDLA mkIII. Free.
No Mac OS support for Variety of Sound. Recently found this one myself and will lose it should I decide to go from Windows to Mac in the next year. :(

I would get this: https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... ete-start/

Then you have a nice delay with Replika AND a nice reverb with Raum (both even the best options IMO), and even the option to upgrade to Replika XT for 29 €.

Used Echoboy since 2017 and never looked back. Its presets (not actual presets, I mean the presets like Ambient, Distortion, etc. on the right side of the plugin) are great and sound how it's described. I just have to set the timing, that's all, no extra fiddling.

Edit: They are called echo styles; Echoplex, Space Echo, Memory Man, DM-2, and many more.

chk071 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:23 pm I would get this: https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... ete-start/

Then you have a nice delay with Replika AND a nice reverb with Raum (both even the best options IMO), and even the option to upgrade to Replika XT for 29 €.
That's a good recommendation, didn't realise Replika was in there too. Actually, the Replika update has been in the NI sales in the past so could be even cheaper to upgrade if you hang on a bit...

Bx_delay 2500. Clean, groovy, versatile.

Most used: Echoboy JR
Best Value: Valhalla Delay (though not one of my favorites)
Cleanest: Replika XT (great for a clean digital EQ that cuts through)
Sound: Echoboy (also the fastest for me to get good results, that and its little brother)
Fun: Primal Tap
Rhythmic: Using the Effectrack, run Echoboy JR into Primal Tap to get some really good rhythmic delays.

Overall, especially when running it in the effectrack and throwing things like Filter Freak 2 and Panman after it, Echoboy and Echoboy JR are still at the top for me.

perpetual3 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:20 pm Newfangled Reciprocate
hehe...nice one:

shouldn't it rather be "recirculate" ?

https://www.newfangledaudio.com/recirculate

To my ears Audiority deleight is how a delay should sound like (I have it), but the plugin ergonomics are awful.
I also have:
Replika XT - good one, but not exactly the sound I'm after, excellent ergo, need to test it again...
Daw delays in Logic - awful sound
Comeback kid - doesn't sound good, and preset manager is non-existing - basically an os window.
Waves - no way I'm installing this, even that I have the bundle. Though, H-delay is nice.

Eye on:
Echoboy - have to test.

Also tested and didn't like:
Valhalla delay
BX 2500

Return to “Effects”