Launchpad as midicontroller for M9

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

To make sufficient use of the livematrix, which is now incorporated in M9, it would be nice to use a midicontroller like the Novation launchpad. With it's possibilities to start/stop or to visualize the running or existing clips it would be a big help. Is there any chance that the launchpad will be supported in M9?

I might be wrong on this one, but I feel like this is a question to Novation more than to Mutools. Sadly they seem to target Live specifically.

As far as I know the launchpad can be used not only for Ableton Live. There is a program guide, with which you can program it. For Bitwig someone has written a script so that it can be used with this DAW. Perhaps someone can program a similar script for Mulab.
Here is the link for the program guide
https://downloads.novationmusic.com/nov ... nchpad-mk2

Yes, it's true that those controllers will work with most DAW's, you just won't get full compatibility. There usually is some kind of a workaround as you pointed out the script for Bitwig, although I've seen comments on the Internet that it is far from perfect and there are people who aren't satisfied with partial compatibility. Can't speak from my own experience though. I was interested in getting Akai APC mini, but as for now it's a no for me.

Without MuLab Button controller support interface you can only assign a midi controller scene button without colored echo and not more

It might be useful to share individual 'systems' for mapping midi and shortcuts that can be applied to different midi controllers.
I find there are so many options in a modular system, my fastest method is a mouse in one hand to focus a module and a touchpad in the other to change values.
Hans Zimmer just has a set of four sliders (1 per finger on his left hand) he maps as needed while playing with his right.
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

Hermu wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:40 am Without MuLab Button controller support interface you can only assign a midi controller scene button without colored echo and not more
Obviously there is no feedback from Mulab, when a live-matrix clip exists, is started or stopped. This is the biggest issue for programming a colored echo on the launchpad. Of course you can use the pads to start or stop the clips, but without changing the colors of the pads, it's not very useful. It could be possible to change the colors of the pads, if the clips contain midi messages, which would be send to the launchpad to change the colors. But that's not very handy. Perhaps Jo can do something to assist the launchpad.

wibem wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:17 pm
Hermu wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:40 am Without MuLab Button controller support interface you can only assign a midi controller scene button without colored echo and not more
Obviously there is no feedback from Mulab, when a live-matrix clip exists, is started or stopped. This is the biggest issue for programming a colored echo on the launchpad. Of course you can use the pads to start or stop the clips, but without changing the colors of the pads, it's not very useful. It could be possible to change the colors of the pads, if the clips contain midi messages, which would be send to the launchpad to change the colors. But that's not very handy. Perhaps Jo can do something to assist the launchpad.
In actual MuLab version you can only map a scene to note action and maybe it would be helpfull also to have map to a key action. if you want more you should have a look to Live Intro, Bitwig Studio 16 Track or Mixcraft.

Wow is this still the case?
I just assumed the launchpad would be supported direct, the 3rd party capabilities of the latest Launchpads (mk3 and x etc) is really really good, ANY software can fully support them.
Duh

Note action maps to midi keys
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

How does that feed back colour or loaded clip?
Duh

I imagine this Launchpad Pro MK3 Programmer’s Reference Manual would be a starting point:

https://fael-downloads-prod.focusrite.c ... 200415.pdf

As you know, very cool Bitwig user Jürgen Moßgraber (kvr handle Moss) programmed most controllers, so you could do the same for MuLab.
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

So MuLab supports MIDI scripts for controllers?
I missed that in the manual, can you link to the reference please?
Thanks.
Duh

I never mentioned midi scripts, but you might search 'midi' in the M9 Docs
You can program Launchpad using Custom Mode in Novation Components
I'm curious about Launchpad, but use Novation keys & Metagrid for macros
Also, I'm unsure how to map a flexible MuLab to a standardized workflow
Best of luck!
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

Yeah it can't be done as far as I can tell, there is no feedback from MuLab.
Duh

Return to “MUTOOLS”