Unfiltered Audio Battalion

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Wow, colour me impressed.

Other than my very first impression when I saw the GUI, it is astonishingly intuitive to use.
And man that is one deep beast. Loved many of the synth models.
The "Variation" knob is genius - would love that in pretty much every plugin I use, would spare me to set up all those random modifiers in Bitwig ;-)
Interesting sequencer too.
I could probably replace every other drum plugin I have with this (not a "normal drums" guy here).

The last couple of releases from UA didn't do it for me, neither Lion with its weird GUI nor the effects, other than Silo.
But this put's them back where they once were for me.
Will give the demo some more workout and see how it goes.

Good stuff! Love it :-)

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

Battalion is a gem. Certainly worth a $199 buy in the future if I have to wait and it can replace other things in theory but what I hate is that my purchased Plugin Alliance plugins get unregistered on my iLok unlike all of the nice other favorites I have on iLok that are all registered without the need to relicense once you do your installs.

Love that UVI primarily, also. Real good stuff available. Top notch. I hope more companies pick up functional iLok maybe you all who like things that aren't offline serial based for long term iLok assurance. Software dongles are sweet locks not knock knock joke handcuff dongles.

Love it. Great feature set. I dont like the included presets though, because almost all of them have lots of tonal elements: bass, chords, pads. If i am working on a song and load a drum machine to add drums to it, i dont want to have to deal with presets that have bass, chords + tonal elements. I just want a beat with percussion elements to add to my track.
Last edited by hcv242 on Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vintage Drum Machine Kits for the Roland TR8-S & MC-707 https://rhythmelectronics.bandcamp.com

Ploki wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:23 pm
plexuss wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:49 pm
sacer wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:18 pm
masterhiggins wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:34 pm I'll wait until it's $29 in 9 months.
me too
Demoed. I think Microtonic has met its match.
I find it nice too.
But i don't think it's really a Microtonic competitor or alternative.
Way too convoluted and feature packed, modulation is extremely incomprehensible. You have 6 modulation sources and there's no way to tell at glance what you're modulating with what (or how much).
There's 20 voices or so synth voices.
Microtonic has ONE engine x8 for everything. It also basically has a single panel.

Reminds me more of drumspillage than microtonic.

I like it tho, it makes some nice bleeps and fat kicks.
I'll try to fetch a 29 voucher somewhere.
Battalion has what? 26 different type of drum "engines" Sorry Microtonic is great too though for it's HUGE library of perfect loops but it's just FM based I think.

Perfect brilliant beat programming 1000's of preset drumsounds and loops in theory that are all great ones FAIK in Microtonic. Microtonic does real clever perfect loop based FM only plugin for creative "computer style" beat loops.

I love the idea of Battalion to make delicate IDM but I never honed my skill enough to make the delicate intricate polyrhythms filled with paradiddles and stuff. I do my songs real slow I might make breakthroughs if I get it.

I don't think the modulation looks hard in the least. Just dial and go. I'm planning on using Atlas, Batallion & Loopcloud & Microtonic mostly for drums & maybe some modular drum stuff.

I got lazy in music so I love using loops now.

voidhead23 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:53 pm
Kiitwa wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:36 pm Richard Devine

https://youtu.be/QfPPm0hXdZs?si=zMF2Qq2Gz8kF3epB
I appreciate the Absynth shortcut on his dock...

Just had a little taste of Battalion...a lot going on there, but it looks like something good to record weird sequences out of for further mangling/slicing...like most of Unfiltered Audio's stuff. I really wish they were de-coupled from PA, though. I'd buy it with the loyalty pricing right now if i wasn't sure it could be had for $30 in another couple months.
I realized the only reason I use PA is for Unfiltered Audio. I don't care about the rest.

underscoreraven wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:05 am
Medenka wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:57 am No option to move the samples library. I hate having samples on my system drive!
Look into symlinks and junctions and stuff like this will never be a problem again
Symbolic links are useful, but not perfect. Best to set up a batch file to re-write them for when
they get overwritten. Also, if someone is not a computer savvy person, they can break a lot of
stuff, fine if you know what's going on, but if you don't, you might wind up shut down and have
no idea why.

Anyway, thankfully they offer a solution, but its not really an ideal one. Just sayin... :shrug:
Ideally, they should let you install samples and stuff wherever you want.

*btw: likely this has nothing to do with UA, afaik PA handles the installers...
Of course, UA could have made it and accessible parameter.
Last edited by pekbro on Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

Medenka wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:57 am No option to move the samples library. I hate having samples on my system drive!
Only one pattern per instance - no pattern banks per drum sound, no global patterns (scenes), no pattern preset save.
The compressor is one knob, shares duties with the expander - on a drum synth!
The interface is quite heavy on my display (old).
Only 8 drum sounds? Linplug RMV had 48 10+ years ago.

Sounds great, though. But more on the experimental side.

COME ON, UA, this thing needs patterns!!!
Pattern chaining would be a treat also. But guess what you can pattern control with any pattern sequencer using chromatic keyboard keys. Any that has MIDI that can control plugins! The PDF user guide has the info on it.

collider wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:57 am I realized the only reason I use PA is for Unfiltered Audio. I don't care about the rest.
I'm the same but I also include Neold and the other PA synths

Mogular wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:12 am
collider wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:57 am I realized the only reason I use PA is for Unfiltered Audio. I don't care about the rest.
I'm the same but I also include Neold and the other PA synths
I couldn't determine why Unfiltered was the only most functional PA plugin but I'll always consider Plugin Alliance in the future while I can. I also bought Cenozoic and Kerchoff from Plugin Alliance and I look forward to future revisions of those. I prefer iZotope mixing mastering tools and IK Multimedia ones to those ones.

I so much want Cherry Audio to switch to standard iLok or Plugin Alliance iLok or some other main company with iLok because their modules are expensive once you get lots and iLok is like really good insurance.

Wish the UI wasn't only 2 colors but this is kinda what I wish Microtonic would be updated to be, pretty fun stuff! Love the macro controls + variation stuff.

Is there a way to disable to sequencer or clear all steps?

jonnybueno wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:28 am Is there a way to disable to sequencer or clear all steps?
Should be. Why don't you look up old Chuck Woolery's magic user guide on google.com. https://www.google.com Care of Chuck Woolery.

WordClock wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:33 am
jonnybueno wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:28 am Is there a way to disable to sequencer or clear all steps?
Should be. Why don't you look up old Chuck Woolery's magic user guide on google.com. https://www.google.com Care of Chuck Woolery.
Cute. I read through the manual and it doesn't seem there is. I agree though, there should be.

jonnybueno wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:07 am
WordClock wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:33 am
Cute. I read through the manual and it doesn't seem there is. I agree though, there should be.
I didn't experiment with Battalion enough yet. Oh I just recalled that there's a simple technique to load the default settings/preset that zeroes out the whole sequence at least if you want to work with chromatic key control or MIDI sequencer control of Battalion.

WordClock wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:51 am
Ploki wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:23 pm
plexuss wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:49 pm
sacer wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:18 pm
masterhiggins wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:34 pm I'll wait until it's $29 in 9 months.
me too
Demoed. I think Microtonic has met its match.
I find it nice too.
But i don't think it's really a Microtonic competitor or alternative.
Way too convoluted and feature packed, modulation is extremely incomprehensible. You have 6 modulation sources and there's no way to tell at glance what you're modulating with what (or how much).
There's 20 voices or so synth voices.
Microtonic has ONE engine x8 for everything. It also basically has a single panel.

Reminds me more of drumspillage than microtonic.

I like it tho, it makes some nice bleeps and fat kicks.
I'll try to fetch a 29 voucher somewhere.
Battalion has what? 26 different type of drum "engines" Sorry Microtonic is great too though for it's HUGE library of perfect loops but it's just FM based I think.
Microtonic does real clever perfect loop based FM only plugin for creative "computer style" beat loops.

FM =phase modulation
MIcrotonic is not FM based , it's just exponential pitch modulation with audio rate lfo's .
I love microtonic becasue it's simple and sounds great , but truth is that the underlying engine is as basic as it gets
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Return to “Instruments”