I bought too many soft synths

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Oh dear, another one down the drain.

Jac459 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:08 pm I decided not to read anymore his comments, not because he is insulting, impolite and most of the time miss the point of a discussion, but because he is so boring to read in his self-unsmart, low IQ, low EQ importance... But it was fun to read your reaction :-)... You are not alone lol.
That's fine. People can like or dislike my music, and tey can agree or disagree with a point I make. But I draw the line at gaslighting and that's what I consider this to be. QUesioning our committment? That's not acceptable

Seems like an overreaction. Bones said he had a similar issue that was due to lack of commitment.

Anyway that overreaction made me curious enough to listen to your bandcamp. I like the compositions a lot.

ghostwhistler wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:43 pm
Jac459 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:08 pm I decided not to read anymore his comments, not because he is insulting, impolite and most of the time miss the point of a discussion, but because he is so boring to read in his self-unsmart, low IQ, low EQ importance... But it was fun to read your reaction :-)... You are not alone lol.
That's fine. People can like or dislike my music, and tey can agree or disagree with a point I make. But I draw the line at gaslighting and that's what I consider this to be. QUesioning our committment? That's not acceptable
You are making a case in your first post that your choice to own dozens of softsynths is affecting your output. It's natural to question why this would be? and commitment, experience, are things that are possible reasons. I mean it could also be choice overload? which Bones does mention there, I don't think it's irrational to question your initial conclusion.

Personally my main reason for any regret in buying too many soft synths is knowing I'll be distracted from learning Falcon or other complex endless depth synths completely as I get distracted by the new synths.

seangm wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:24 pm "I bought too many soft synths"

I don't understand these strange words
This kind of sums it up. Go ahead buy more, keep on buying until you own every last 1 that exists.
Click for music links... Eurotrash!
MSI z390, i7 9700k OC, Noctua Cooling, NVMe 970 Pro, 64GB 3200C16, BeQuiet PSU, W10, Cubase 13, Avenger, Spire, Nexus, iZotope, Virus TI (INTERGRATED).

mitchiemasha wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:48 pm
seangm wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:24 pm "I bought too many soft synths"

I don't understand these strange words
This kind of sums it up. Go ahead buy more, keep on buying until you own every last 1 that exists.
One of the things I keep on thinking about is solutions like Komplete Kontrol, while far from perfect the idea is to take your entire library and make all presets sortable, so you can just treat everything you own like a workstation synth. It's a great idea no matter how mediocrely it's implemented. It's how I treat 99% of the synths I own, I have a few hardware and software synths I always turn to, then I treat the rest like a workstation. It takes choice paralysis off the table really.

Now if NI would get off their ass and clean up their selection stupidity, 350 choices for hard bass with no ability to select another descriptive term isn't that helpful. :x

ghostwhistler wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:43 pm But I draw the line at gaslighting and that's what I consider this to be.
Declaring it gaslighting when it isn't gaslighting is gaslighting.

We are fundamentally limited by our ability to pay attention. If your attention is taken by too many choices, you cannot focus enough to make good decisions and stay in the flow. Wanting 'more' is a hazard of the marketplace. Simplifying, categorising, eliminating etc are all strategies but everyone is different (e.g. ADD). You need to observe what is affecting your ability to pay attention and to stay in your own optimal flow state, and ruthlessly make changes to protect your most valuable attention.
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

Uncle E wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:32 pm
ghostwhistler wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:43 pm But I draw the line at gaslighting and that's what I consider this to be.
I'm still confused by where the gaslighting was? so I guess I got gaslit! :lol:

Michael L wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:36 pm We are fundamentally limited by our ability to pay attention. If your attention is taken by too many choices, you cannot focus enough to make good decisions and stay in the flow. Wanting 'more' is a hazard of the marketplace. Simplifying, categorising, eliminating etc are all strategies but everyone is different (e.g. ADD). You need to observe what is affecting your ability to pay attention and to stay in your own optimal flow state, and ruthlessly make changes to protect your most valuable attention.
I'm supposed to be packing, but besides playing music, talking about it is my other obsession, and my attention is easily drawn to the shiny thing. Setting up Komplete Kontrol as a filter was even with it's flaws a good solution to searching through endless soft synths for a sound to compliment my standards, cutting out distraction, there's others, Unify, and Analog Lab come to mind.

Michael L wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:36 pm Simplifying, categorising, eliminating etc are all strategies but everyone is different (e.g. ADD). You need to observe what is affecting your ability to pay attention and to stay in your own optimal flow state, and ruthlessly make changes to protect your most valuable attention.
Agreed. A friend of mine has ADHD and is a successful producer. His way of overcoming that is by compartmentalizing his actual workflow. So when he's working on sounds, that's all he does and he doesn't get distracted by trying to write or mix. Or when he's writing, that's all he does and he doesn't get distracted by trying to mix or do sound design (he uses the presets he created when he was in sound design mode).

Uncle E wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:48 pm
Michael L wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:36 pm Simplifying, categorising, eliminating etc are all strategies but everyone is different (e.g. ADD). You need to observe what is affecting your ability to pay attention and to stay in your own optimal flow state, and ruthlessly make changes to protect your most valuable attention.
Agreed. A friend of mine has ADHD and is a successful producer. His way of overcoming that is by compartmentalizing his actual workflow. So when he's working on sounds, that's all he does and he doesn't get distracted by trying to write or mix. Or when he's writing, that's all he does and he doesn't get distracted by trying to mix or do sound design (he uses the presets he created when he was in sound design mode).
A writing partner of mine is like that, when we're in the same room he will actively prevent me from breaking off to fix some issue to focus on the actual writing.

empphryio wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:36 pm Seems like an overreaction. Bones said he had a similar issue that was due to lack of commitment.

Anyway that overreaction made me curious enough to listen to your bandcamp. I like the compositions a lot.
Thank you very much.

machinesworking wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:43 pm
Uncle E wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:32 pm
I'm still confused by where the gaslighting was? so I guess I got gaslit! :lol:
Asserting that 'it's all in your head' is gaslighting. Made worse by the comment about committment which trivialises the work the person in question has done.

Now that I've clarified, I won't be addressing this point further. I have no interest in dealing with that kind of negative response. Thanks

I like to see GAS as something that runs parallel to working towards a creative goal. It occupies a different section of the brain. As long as you are working on something and moving forwards then it doesn't really matter what tools you use or discard along the way. You can always bounce/back up the audio from anything that you sell.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”