Is it just me or is automation in Bitwig kinda bad?

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

yupp, it's not the comfiest solution; ever since MSEG became available, I find myself most often attaching the Segment modulator to a note generated by Replacer, and that's it.
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

nowiamone wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:56 am Concerning the topic of "lag-free" i'm wondering whether you are using at least 5.1 or the newest 5.1.6 version? Because since 5.1, the "pudding like" feeling of automation has been removed!
For me, that was one of the biggest upgrades ever, since i switched from Ableton to Bitwig! That they listened to user-feedback concerning the 'feel' of automation-point-movement. :)
[But yes, there remains a huge list of issues which could be improved for automation]
They didn’t fulfill any requests here. They simply fixed what they broke in v3. Yes, in v 3 automation didn’t snap like there is no tomorrow. And it took them 2 versions to fix this bug…

vroteg wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:57 am
nowiamone wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:56 am Concerning the topic of "lag-free" i'm wondering whether you are using at least 5.1 or the newest 5.1.6 version? Because since 5.1, the "pudding like" feeling of automation has been removed!
For me, that was one of the biggest upgrades ever, since i switched from Ableton to Bitwig! That they listened to user-feedback concerning the 'feel' of automation-point-movement. :)
[But yes, there remains a huge list of issues which could be improved for automation]
They didn’t fulfill any requests here. They simply fixed what they broke in v3. Yes, in v 3 automation didn’t snap like there is no tomorrow. And it took them 2 versions to fix this bug…
The pudding-like-feeling i am refering to wasn't about snapping, it was about the inconsistent mouse-acceleration and decceleration. I think what you are refering to is yet another aspect, but not what i meant:
travel distance automation small.jpg
travel distance4.jpg
As far as i know, the above mouse-dragging-behavior of automation points has been the case for all Bitwig versions, until they changed it thankfully with 5.1
Btw i just tried to test v3, but the installer won't install, because "a newer version is already installed" lol.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I built a Looper for Bitwig! :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z5ywDo2bU0

Version 3.0 automation worked as it works now. No snapping or acceleration. Then devs intentionally or unintentionally bugged it. It was during some 3.X update, don’t remember. I sent them email about it back then. Bitwig said they aware of the issue but it’s not on priority list as it is a minor issue. Well. Here we are at v5.X where devs finally fixed it.

vroteg wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:41 am Version 3.0 automation worked as it works now. No snapping or acceleration. Then devs intentionally or unintentionally bugged it. It was during some 3.X update, don’t remember. I sent them email about it back then. Bitwig said they aware of the issue but it’s not on priority list as it is a minor issue. Well. Here we are at v5.X where devs finally fixed it.
I tried out 3.0, it has still that strong acceleration.
Then i tried out 2.0 -> seems to have less/almost no acceleration. Very interesting!
Still, 2.0 feels horrible.
A great contributor to the shitty feeling of dragging automation points seems to have been present even with 2.0 : When you drag the point above/below the border of the automation lane (for volume that's further than +6db and further than -inf db), then you actually still move the point! This means, that "coming back" into the visible range of the automation lane takes a bit of mousemovement - literally moving an invisible point, until the visible point is moved again. This nonsensical behavior has been present since Bitwigs beginning, it seems - and i'm glad it has been fixed with 5.1.

- Dragging automation/expression events beyond the upper/lower timeline boundary no longer requires dragging back the same distance [25219]

Concerning the accelleration: Yes, It seems Bitwig itself did some weird changes from 2 to 3 - but still, moving Automation in 2.0 feels worse than now.
I built a Looper for Bitwig! :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z5ywDo2bU0

Return to “Bitwig”